2nd Trimester

baby gate- any recs?

Looking for a good baby gate to put at the top of my stairs- need one that has a walk through/enough space for cats- any recs?  All the reviews are mixed and I know this is difficult because of the cats...

Thanks! 

Re: baby gate- any recs?

• This may not help, but ours is Safety First Hands-Free (has a step-thing that opens it), and we hate it. We got them for our dogs when we bought our house (to keep them downstairs)- 3 of them. At first we loved them. But now, we hate them. The rubber mats that went up against the wall have stripped the paint. And on hard woood floors, the gates slide if they are stepped on the wrong way or slammed shut too hard. They are dirty as anything, and I can't ever get them 100% clean and bright white (even with bleach). My last attempt to make them work is putting some of that no-slip carpet rubber under them. But even still, I think I'm getting new ones. Hands-Free seemed like a great idea, but I completely regret it now.
  • can't your cats just jump over it?
  • We have this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3393724which works great and this one: not the exact one, we bought it here for 79 but I cant find the exact one on the site: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2909941

Both work fine and do their job. If you need one for the cat to go through you can try a dog type gate, my sister has one with a teeny door on it in the corner of the gate that you can leave open. She has a chihuahua and it works great

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family

• one of them is 12 and has arthritis in her back hips already- she is minimal on jumping...
  • I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the slats on baby gates are supposed to be the same distance apart as the slats on cribs - 2 3/8 inches max.  So I'm not sure how much luck you are going to have finding slats wide enough for your cats, but narrow enough that there isn't a risk of the baby getting stuck.

We have the First Years Hands Free Gates right now for our dog and we love them - but I can't imagine a cat could fit through them.

Sorry I'm not more help.  Good luck!

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Petsmart will have the gates that will allow your animals to get through the slats or have the separate opening for them to walk through, however, now you run the risk of putting your baby in a compromising situation. ?I would check the baby stores and also your local pet stores.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We have two of the same kind, one at the top and one at the bottom of our stairs. We got them from Lowe's, they are the Summer brand and have a gate that opens in the middle (like a door). What I do with my cats is:

1. Dilly is young and nimble so he jumps over, easy no problems

2. Chloe is 14 and arthritic (like your cat) and won't jump over. She goes by the gate, meows until I let her thru. She's pretty patient and I just let her in and out. 

Also, if we're downstairs, I shut the gate at the bottom of the stairs but keep the one at the top open, since DD isn't up there and then the cats can get thru. Vice versa if we're upstairs. THe cats do just fine this way. Oh and I have the cat food in the powder room by the stairway so its gated from the toddler who likes to eat it too!

I tried finding a gate with wide enough slats for cats to fit thru, but then my DD could also fit so that is not good. I suggest something like the set up we have. Its expensive at $60 a gate but worth it and works.

• Thanks for the suggestions! I just couldn't find anything satisfactory online- I will start the search this weekend!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards