Nurseries and Baby Gear

need some suggestions on how to organize the closet

Hi All -

We have a VERY large closet in the nursery - its actually the biggest in the house. We are going to get a Rubbermaid organizer from Lowes. It's their configurations line and it is all expandable and there is no cutting. 

The closet is 10 ft wide and about 3+ft deep. The doors are sliding doors with a 6 ft opening or so.

The main question is - does anyone have any suggestions on how best to organize the closet. I don't want to have too much hanging space if I don't need it. I think I will have one side for storage of unused baby itesm and extra diapers and such. Then eventually down the road will be toy storage.

I mocked up on the configurations website but I am not sure if this is adequate or not. The one space to the right corner will be the hamper.

If you have pics of your closet - please post. We are hoping to do this over the weekend.

Let me know what you think - or is you have any suggestions. This is not exactly what we would do and it includes buying some extra shelves - but I think we will have to do that no matter what.

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Re: need some suggestions on how to organize the closet

• No pics but here's what we're doing if you can picture it.

Bottom-on floor is going to be a type of 'storage bench' with liftable lids that we can store big toys in like bouncers, walkers, etc.

Then on the right side of the closet we're doing 2-3 hanging rods for clothes

On the left side we're doing large open shelves that I can put baskets on with diapers, blankets, and other misc. things

In the middle of the two sides we'll have a more narrow vertical shelving unit that can hold shoes, books, and other littler items.

On the top of it all will be one large shelf for any other misc. items and baskets. GL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • That is similar to what I am thinking without the box on the floor.

How much hanging space are you all using? I guess it will also depend on if we buy a dresser or use a hand-me-down changing table.

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • well we have a small dresser/changer so that will hold a lot of clothes too, but for hanging space we're doing 3 racks that are about 3 1/2 feet wide... I think that will be plenty and if not I'll just fold up the larger clothes and put them in baskets on the shelves until we rotate the clothes out for bigger sizes...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • My god-daughters mom has 3 rows of racks w/ hanging stuff, top is jackets & hats/accessories, middle is shirts/dresses,  bottom is shorts, skirts & pants (middle section)....she also as a dresser for the bigger stuff, sheets, blankets, off season & too big clothes....she hates to iron which is bad for baby clothes anyway so she hangs the ones she's wearing now...she has baskets w/ socks and diapers, boxes w/ spare toys for switching out & extra bottles/teething rings....in what would be your far right section...far left would be good for extra stuffed animals, bulk diapers and such and other future/spare goodies like potty chair, future bedding, and all those other things that seem sooo far off but happen soooo soon....

Good luck and congrats!!!!