1st Trimester

What lotion to use to prevent stretch marks?

I bought Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula massage lotion for stretch marks.

It smells nasty.

Can anyone recommend what they're using that smells good or has no smell?

BFP #1 on cycle 19, 6/13/09, blighted ovum discovered on 8/3/09
BFP #2 3/1/10 yay for seeing the baby and seeing hb at 6w! Found at on 4/26/10 that the baby had stopped growing at 7w
BFP #3 11/19/11
Baby Boy Bruce born 7/21/12
Check out my blog!

Re: What lotion to use to prevent stretch marks?

• There is nothing you can do to "prevent" them. They are genetic. if your mother or grandmother has them. congrats more than likely you will too.
  • Nothing will prevent stretch marks...if you're going to get them, there's no stopping it. From what I've heard, the lotion just eases the itchy feeling that stretching skin can cause.

Stretch marks will fade over time, but there isn't anything to prevent them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageB!tchBeckman:
    There is nothing you can do to "prevent" them. They are genetic. if your mother or grandmother has them. congrats more than likely you will too.

This exactly.

• imageB!tchBeckman:
    There is nothing you can do to "prevent" them. They are genetic. if your mother or grandmother has them. congrats more than likely you will too.

Yep!  Sorry.

• I've used Palmers Cocoa Butter for YEARS and plan on keeping it around to see if it does the trick (I like the smell...)

I *think* the make a scentless version of it, though.

Also, I splurged a fe months ago and bought my pregnant SIL a bunch of mama mio skin care (boob tube, tummy rub butter, etc. ) and she LOVES it.

• imageJessis62781:

imageB!tchBeckman:

This exactly.

Thritto.  You can lube yourself up until you're like a slippery pig and still get them.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I bought the same stuff and smells horrible. My mom said that she just used to use Neutrogena's body oil. It's not for stretch marks but as the ladies said below, you can only moisturize enough to keep your skin from itching and cracking. I guess it smells like almonds. I also heard that Burt's Bee's Mama Bee's belly butter smells good and "works." It's a little more pricey than the others mentioned. :)
  • well i'm the only woman in my family to NOT get them.  so i say ;P to genetics.

i used earth mama baby angel belly butter religiously.  don't know if that helped or i just got lucky.  but i don't have a single one.  and my mother and my sister were both stretched to all hell after their first babies.

• imageMrs.C042807:
    imageJessis62781:

imageB!tchBeckman:

This exactly.

Thritto.  You can lube yourself up until you're like a slippery pig and still get them.

::instant visual Yes::

• None, they're a hoax. ?And if you do get stretch marks, there's a chance they'll disappear after pregnancy- mine are 99% gone. ?Hoping they won't return this time!
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree the Palmer's smells disgusting.  I got the Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Butter, which doesn't small fantastic, but it is definitely better than the Palmer's.  Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Shea butter works wonders.

GL!

• Well I rubbed a Cocoa butter stick on my belly every night and I did not get them....my mom has some. It smells kind of like chocolate. I suggest that...and although you can't prevent them, I do believe you can probably help them not get soooo terrible by rubbing something on your belly.
  • I just got Bella B Tummy Honey Butter (ordered from Amazon) - smells great, feels great on, not too expensive (about $15) I figured its worth a shot...

• Genetics definitely play a part, but it's not the only factor.

Water: ingested during pregnancy, keeping skin hydrated decreases the chance a woman will get stretch marks.
    Scratching: as your stomach expands, the skin may become scratchy. Do not scratch; instead, rub lotion or powder on to alleviate the itchiness.
    Exercise: daily to keep your skin supple and free from toxins. This will help by toning the skin of your body and increasing its elasticity.

My mom and sister both got them with their first pregnancy and thankfully I avoided them. I'm hoping I'm as lucky this time.

• to help mositurize them I have started using the shea butter lotion from bath and body works!  it feels devine and smells really good!   hope this helps!
  • Try Bio Oil, I am trying it out too, heard it's what celebrity use too, it's got lavender, rosemary and chamomile oils. it smells nice too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"