Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Baby vomitus....

So DS vomited right after finishing his before bed feeding, full on projectile, shot across the couch, soaked himself, myself and the bobby pillow... not just spit up, definitely vomit.  He has now done this 3 times in the past week now, although one time was yesterday a few hours after his surgery (he had a hernia repaired) so I attributed it just to that, but now I am beginning to think it might be something else.  I plan on calling the pedi tomorrow.

For now, my question is should I give him pedialyte the next time I feed him or just continue with EBM?  He has never had anything other than BM, no formula, pedialyte, juice or water.  Is 2.5 months to young for fluids other than BM? Anybody else been in this situation?  What did your pedi say? FWIW,  he is sleeping now, went down like usual after I finally got him cleaned up.... seemed perfectly happy. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Baby vomitus....

• does he have a fever?
  • imagelaurandjim:
    does he have a fever?

Nope.  

ETA:  He is literally acting completely normal and has all 3 times it happened. 

• Loading the player...
  • DD does this from time to time. she has silent reflux, but she sometimes projectiles what looks like a whole feeding, but its really not..is he unhappy at all when he is throwing up? i would def call your pedi tomorrow. make sure he does not have a fever etc.! but i am sure its nothing! :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejl_nc:
    DD does this from time to time. she has silent reflux, but she sometimes projectiles what looks like a whole feeding, but its really not..is he unhappy at all when he is throwing up? i would def call your pedi tomorrow. make sure he does not have a fever etc.! but i am sure its nothing! :

DS spits up frequently, at least a little to a lot after every single feeding, but this was definitely an entire feeding, it literally kept coming up, projectile like over and over and over again.  The other day he did it while sitting in the swing and when he finally stopped and picked him there was literally a puddle underneath him.  

Mostly I am just wondering if anybody tried pedialyte at this age if this happened to their DC or if they just stuck to BM.

• DS had a slight fever and diahrrea a few weeks ago.  I called the 24-hour hotline at my pedis office.  The nurse said to switch out one of his bottles for pedialyte and then to just monitor him.  I was nervous doing this because he was just a little over 2 months old and had never had anything other than formula or BM before.  But he took it just fine.

But this was under medical supervision and DS wasn't throwing up.  I would definitely call your pedi before giving your LO pedialyte or anything else.  GL!

• My 4 week old has done this a couple of times. I have his one month check up today and plan to ask the pedi about it.  I've read that you shouldn't give them anything except formula/breastmilk until they are at least 4 months old.  Not even water. I wouldn't give him pedialyte or even water without checking with your pedi, but I'm sure if he doesn't have a fever and the vomitting isn't continuing (hours on hours), that you have nothing to worry about (at least as far as dehydration is concerned).  As far as the projectile vomitting - it scares the crap out of me so I don't blame you for being concerned! I'll share what my pedi says this afternoon when I get back from the appt!

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"