1st Trimester
Options

This *really* irritates me...

Re: This *really* irritates me...

• Options

imageGomez322:
    I agree also and it bothers me too.... Our children are growing inside of us and we as mother's should do everything we can.. even if it means a little sacrifice... to allow our children the best chance of being as healthy and strong as they possibly can.

Hmm

Are you fvcking serious?

I can't wait until you feel so sick that a large fry and coke from McDonald's is all you can stomach. Or you wake up so many times in the night to pee/ puke that you drink not one but two cups of coffee in the morning just so you can make it through the day. I can't stand people like you. Eat as healthy as you want, but don't judge other people who aren't exactly like you. I will continue to eat anything and everything that I want. 

Yes, I am a rebel: hot dogs, lunch meat, caffeine, you name it. I've had it all and I feel no shame.

• Options
    ugh, this post made me nauseous, thanks a lot.  Worry about yourself and get over it.  And FWIW, many doctors do not believe that the things you mentioned are all that dangerous.  It is all about moderation and knowing the facts.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesara_smile:
    imageB!tchBeckman:

Gee no where on this list did I read Hot dogs, lunch meat, sushi, or whine in moderation...

I definitley haven't seen ANYONE whine in moderation. It's all or nothing, baby.

OP, just to repeat what's already been said in my own way, your original post said that you are irritated by people who choose to partake in risky behaviors, such as eating hot dogs. Then in a following response you say that you didn't know hot dogs (cooked) were actually ok.

If you let everything that you don't know about irritate you, you're in for one long, tough life.

haa whoops I did spell wine wrong!!

Gee I suppose that irritates OP too-

• Options
    imagesara_smile:
    imageB!tchBeckman:

Gee no where on this list did I read Hot dogs, lunch meat, sushi, or whine in moderation...

I definitley haven't seen ANYONE whine in moderation. It's all or nothing, baby.

OP, just to repeat what's already been said in my own way, your original post said that you are irritated by people who choose to partake in risky behaviors, such as eating hot dogs. Then in a following response you say that you didn't know hot dogs (cooked) were actually ok.

If you let everything that you don't know about irritate you, you're in for one long, tough life.

LOL. Would you like some cheese with that whine? (feta, brie, blue cheese anyone? Oh my!) Haha... that joke will never get old to me.

• Options

And this... "Yes, I am a rebel: hot dogs, lunch meat, caffeine, you name it. I've had it all and I feel no shame." is what disgusts me.

God forbid you sacrifice a little now, while it's easy, in preparation for the sacrifices you SHOULD be HAPPILY making for your baby when he's tangible.

Ugh. 

• Options
    Even the small risks... are risk enough for me.  Listeria is a real risk whether people want to acknowledge it or not.  I know of someone who has a miscarriage due to listeria.  That is enough to keep me away from deli meat.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagekimbarnes83:

And this... "Yes, I am a rebel: hot dogs, lunch meat, caffeine, you name it. I've had it all and I feel no shame." is what disgusts me.

God forbid you sacrifice a little now, while it's easy, in preparation for the sacrifices you SHOULD be HAPPILY making for your baby when he's tangible.

Ugh. 

you just keep contradicting yourself little girl. Im enjoying this show of your ignorance and idiocy.

• Options
    imagekimbarnes83:

I don't have a problem with, "My doctor said hot dogs are fine, so I will continue to eat them in moderation in spite of the debate over their potential problems."

I have a problem with, "My doctor said not to eat hot dogs because of the chance for listeria but I think he's wrong and I want a hot dog."

And, what if the 2nd woman has done plenty of research and has found out that the hot dogs are just fine if cooked?  Does that make her so horrible even though she sought other sound advice and research?  

Regardless of that woman's choice YOU are still the one being judgemental and mightier-than-thou.  Certainly that example will be worse for your baby in the long run than a well-cooked hot dog could ever be.

the boymom is expecting a girl!
    big brothers 12.2009 and 02.2012
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagekimbarnes83:

Flame me if you want, but...

I really don't understand why some people proudly proclaim, "I'll eat sushi if I want," or "I am NOT giving up my hot dogs!" or even, "I had two glasses of wine yesterday" as though they are just rebels.

How selfish can you be?  Even if there is a tiny risk...a tiny one, that what you're doing could cause harm to your baby, why are you doing it?  Obviously you care enough about your pregnancy to be on a message board discussing it, trying to learn more about your pregnancy, etcetera... how can you not care enough to just freaking skip the hot dog on the off-chance it might do some harm?

Did you eat anything other than food you killed/grew yourself before you got pregnant?  If you did, you must not care too much about yourself because you were putting yourself at risk then too.  

If i want to eat a hotdog, I'm going to eat a hotdog.  If I want to eat a deli sandwich, you better believe that's what I'm going to eat.  My doctor said that she has NEVER had a case of listeria -- and more than that, NONE of the doctors she knows have ever had a case of it.   This being said, we came to the conclusion that everything in moderation is FINE. I'm not going to eat a package of hotdogs a day, but if I go to a bbq and the thought of eating a hamburger makes me want to vomit ... then you better believe I'm going to eat a hotdog instead.

Stop being so self-righteous about your pregnancy.  Everyone is different.  Everyone's paranoia levels are different.  If you're highly paranoid about listeria/bacteria/etc, don't eat those things ... that's your choice.  You can even offer your opinion on the matter in a respectful manner.  But for you to come and call me selfish because I want to eat a hotdog? Seriously .. get a life.

• Options
    Actually, you should be worried about the chemicals they use to make the coffee decaffeinated.  But I'm with you about the caffeine.  Not enough is known, so I cut it out.  I don't worry too much about teas or chocolate though.  Some is okay.  Just no coffee or high caffeine soft drinks.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Missed miscarriage discovered at 16 weeks on 10/11/10. Baby measuring 12 weeks. Natural miscarriage 10/12/10. We will miss you forever. Chemical pregnancy on June 2012.
  • Options
    imageJen&Louie:
    imagekimbarnes83:

I don't have a problem with, "My doctor said hot dogs are fine, so I will continue to eat them in moderation in spite of the debate over their potential problems."

I have a problem with, "My doctor said not to eat hot dogs because of the chance for listeria but I think he's wrong and I want a hot dog."

And, what if the 2nd woman has done plenty of research and has found out that the hot dogs are just fine if cooked?  Does that make her so horrible even though she sought other sound advice and research?  

Regardless of that woman's choice YOU are still the one being judgemental and mightier-than-thou.  Certainly that example will be worse for your baby in the long run than a well-cooked hot dog could ever be.

This exactly. Who eats a hotdog without cooking it? That kills the bacteria of which you speak. Unless you are a crazy eating hotdogs right out of the package, I think you are fine. Many ladies also microwave/ steam deli meat to kill any bacteria, so what are you preaching about? Get off your high horse.

• Options

imagekimbarnes83:

1. I'm getting hyper-emotional and pissing off my fellow Bumpies on The Nest.  But I still think I'm right.

• Options
    imagekimbarnes83:

Ugh. 

You are in for a rude awakening. I've had 5  kids and things they said were perfectly fine 19 years ago are now on the list. If you think you are making all the right choices you are not. Eventually down the line they will tell you that something you ate is now on the omg don't eat it list.

Hell, they might even tell you being judgemental is harmful... think of the negative energy you are poofing out right now trying to be holier than thou.Lighten up and instead of pointing your judging finger at everyone else stay focused on your plate instead.

[color=#FF0000]Mom to 5 girls 23,22,18,9,7 and one sweet Wonderboy almost 4[/color]
    The Chaos of Six!
  • Options
    epphdepphd member
    imagekimbarnes83:

Ugh. 

Let's see; yesterday I had caffeine, aspartame, soft cheese and caesar salad.  Am I a rebel because I choose to "ignore ongoing debate"?  No - because there is not ongoing debate - at least in the medical community." Debates" on message boards don't impress me much, unless it's a message board filled with medical professionals - and I'm guessing you are not one.  

Unless there is a scientifically performed, peer reviewed study validating the risks, in my opinion, there is no risk when said item is consumed in moderation. 

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    anyone else expecting a DD?
  • Options
    epphdepphd member

imageGinkeez:
    Not enough is known, so I cut it out. 

WHAT?  Caffeine has been consumed for as long as man has walked upright.  It's perhaps the MOST well studied drug on earth and no study has documented a risk from moderate consumption.  Jeebus.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    epphdepphd member

imagekimbarnes83:

1. I'm getting hyper-emotional and pissing off my fellow Bumpies on The Nest.  But I still think I'm right.

BWAHAHAHAH!!! Who needs science or medicine when you "think" you're right?  It's so convenient!

• Options

imageB!tchBeckman:

That or a GBCN Wink

• Options
    Alright... what's a "DD"? (In the context in which you're referring to it)
  • Options
    imagekatrinaadair37:

imageB!tchBeckman:

That or a GBCN Wink

Oh for sure!

count down in 5...4...3...2...

• Options
    imagekimbarnes83:

I'm really surprised with you guys.  Honestly, obviously I was under-educated but I'm only 6 weeks pregnant with my first and learning a lot, primarily from these boards.  Everyone on these boards makes it sound like listeria is such a super huge problem... then I hear about people who are proudly eating the stuff and that irritates me.

If hot dogs are okay if they've been cooked properly, awesome... had no clue, based off of what you guys always talk about.

If these "small risks" aren't really risks, at all...and that's true, fine, I totally agree, as well.

What I was saying is - It bothers me that a person can acknowledge that something is risky to their fetus and yet still partake in that behavior/diet, etcetera.... especially when so many people can't get pregnant or do and then lose the baby after doing all of the right things.

I want to address a couple of things in this post ... if you don't know what you're talking about, why make a post on the board that you acknowledged you'd get flamed for?   Why not actually do some research or call your doctor's office or ... *gasp* ... just keep your mouth shut until you know more?

Second, your last paragraph rubbed me the wrong way.  This may not be what you were saying, but the way it sounds is that you don't think someone who chooses to eat a hotdog/have an occasional glass of wine/does anything you consider TOO risky/etc deserves to keep their child since they aren't "doing everything right".  Again, I'm hoping that's not what you are actually saying ... but be aware of how things come out.

I am, by no means, a pregnancy expert.  I'm by no means perfect.  But I'm going to make my choices and I'm going to live with the consequences of my choices. Who are you to judge that?

• Options

imagetheredvixen:
    WOW! just you wait until you are starving but nothing will stay down. I hope that at that point you will realize that any food is better than none. There are things in this world that are much riskier than enjoying a hot dog at a ball game or sampling a nice wine at a vineyard. Moderation is the key! No you really shouldn't fill every waking moment with these things but occasionally is fine.

If there is nothing else - then fine.  But - I would hate for that one hotdog to be ridden with listeria.  Moderation is not the key with everything. With somethings it only takes one shot to cause damage.  A small risk yeah... but still a risk.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

and THIS really irritates me.  one thing comes to mind...stfu and mind your own business!  I've had it with you judgmental people trying to tell ME and everyone else how to live our lives while pregnant!  Stress harms the fetus too, so tend to yourself and don't worry about what everyone else is doing. It is NOT your place to come in here and tell everyone that they are wrong and selfish just because their choices don't exactly match yours!  I had a swig of a bud light yesterday for the first time in 2 months, and I'm having my roots touched up tomorrow...guess I should expect my baby to be all brain damaged when it's born right?  I'll do what my dr says, rather than what "morals" some random b!tch on the internet on a hormonal tirade tries to force onto me.  Why don't you focus on the drug addicts and alcoholics.  They stand to gain more from your unreasonable standards than us sushi and deli lovers.

People have been born for thousands of years without all of these rules and regulations. Drinking and smoking have been a part of our society for many years even before people knew the risks.  Those children were born fine for the most part...so excuse me while I go make myself a deli sandwich for lunch with a side of salty potato chips, I'll take my selfish chances.  Thank you.

• Options

The only things my dr told me to "try to avoid" were sugar and white flour. That's it. He said everything else is fine as long as you don't eat it all day every day. So I eat hot dogs, and lunch meat, and soft cheese, and drink caffeine.

• Options

imagekimbarnes83:

went and found you're "doctor"'s advice?

• Options
    epphdepphd member
    imageNiniJ55:

imagetheredvixen:
    WOW! just you wait until you are starving but nothing will stay down. I hope that at that point you will realize that any food is better than none. There are things in this world that are much riskier than enjoying a hot dog at a ball game or sampling a nice wine at a vineyard. Moderation is the key! No you really shouldn't fill every waking moment with these things but occasionally is fine.

If there is nothing else - then fine.  But - I would hate for that one hotdog to be ridden with listeria.  Moderation is not the key with everything. With somethings it only takes one shot to cause damage.  A small risk yeah... but still a risk.

Can you actually give a documented example of someone having a miscarriage due to eating a thoroughly cooked hotdog?  because if you can't then you might as well eat nothing, ever - because I would hate for that one stalk of  celery to be "riddled" with salmonella, or that box of organic sprouts to be "teeming" with botulism.  It's not been documented - but it might happen... 

...runs out screaming in fear....

• Options

I absolutely was not implying (and apologize if it was perceived that way) that because a person decides to engage in mildly risky behavior (Mildly!) that they don't deserve their child.

What I was expressing was that I didn't understand how a person who believs or has been told that something is dangerous, can throw caution to the wind and partake in said mildly risky behavior simply because they 'feel' like it, ignoring the risk to the fetus they are growing. 

I'm not sure how you gathered, "These people don't deserve their babies!" from that.  I'm not on a witch hunt here.

• Options
    imageeasjer05:

*head desk*

*head desk*

*head desk*

That is the whole freaking point.  There is NO EVIDENCE that avoiding hot dogs for 9 months makes your baby any healthier or stronger.  There is no evidence that all this paranoia and self-sacrifice does anything, but there is mounting evidence that it produces stress which can and does affect your baby in utero.

And if it makes you a raging judgmental ass, well, that certainly can't be good for your child either.

We are talking about effing lunchmeat and hot dogs.  Not actual risky behavior.

I agree that real risks need to be cut back on, but again, only within reason.  I don't care if you don't want to eat lunchmeat - that is your prerogative and your decision to make.  But do not judge me for making an equally educated decision.  It's patronizing and wrong.

You continue to be one of my favorite people on the 1st Tri board. Thank you for posting educated responses to the clearly uneducated OP.

• Options
    imageNiniJ55:

imagetheredvixen:

Do you eat raw hot dogs? I like mine hot off the grill with ketchup and relish!

Oh and PS listeria is killed when COOKING the hotdog, so unless you eat them raw (in which case you need more help then we know) then please quietly walk away from your idiotic argument!

• Options
    imageepphd:

imagekimbarnes83:
    If my baby "makes me" want a McDonald's cheeseburger for lunch once a week, it doesn't mean it's a good idea to partake.

Man you are desperate for some validation, huh?

Here's a cookie.  You better not eat it though - the chocolate chips have caffeine and your baby might DIE if you eat it.

Oh my gosh! I love this post! Yes Haha...pretty sure you just made my day!

• Options

You are completely going around the initial topic and getting irrationally upset... perhaps because you feel guilty about not doing as much for your fetus as you should?

Let's get back to the main point: I get irritated by people who knowingly partake of behaviors which they have been told (or which they BELIEVE) are risky, even if there is only a miniscule chance of that behavior being risky.

Period.  Don't get your panties all in a bunch. This is what irritates me... it really doesn't matter as long as you're okay with the choices you're making and YOU are doing what YOU BELIEVE is best by your baby. 

It's the people who KNOW something could be risky or BELIEVE that something could be risky and do it anyway.

Okay?!

• Options
    epphdepphd member
    imagekimbarnes83:

I absolutely was not implying (and apologize if it was perceived that way) that because a person decides to engage in mildly risky behavior (Mildly!) that they don't deserve their child.

What I was expressing was that I didn't understand how a person who believs or has been told that something is dangerous, can throw caution to the wind and partake in said mildly risky behavior simply because they 'feel' like it, ignoring the risk to the fetus they are growing. 

I'm not sure how you gathered, "These people don't deserve their babies!" from that.  I'm not on a witch hunt here.

Actually that's not what you said - you said that anyone who engages in behavior that YOU deem to be risky (even when you have admitted you don't actually know what is risky or not and you have been repeatedly proven wrong about what is or is not risky) is selfish and deserves your scorn. Klassy.

• Options
    imagekimbarnes83:

I'm really surprised with you guys.  Honestly, obviously I was under-educated but I'm only 6 weeks pregnant with my first and learning a lot, primarily from these boards.  Everyone on these boards makes it sound like listeria is such a super huge problem... then I hear about people who are proudly eating the stuff and that irritates me.

If hot dogs are okay if they've been cooked properly, awesome... had no clue, based off of what you guys always talk about.

If these "small risks" aren't really risks, at all...and that's true, fine, I totally agree, as well.

What I was saying is - It bothers me that a person can acknowledge that something is risky to their fetus and yet still partake in that behavior/diet, etcetera.... especially when so many people can't get pregnant or do and then lose the baby after doing all of the right things.

I think what I find ridiculous is how quick you are to jump on other women and their approach to what they choose to put in their bodies and what they choose to indulge in.  Are you an expert on pregnancy nutrition?  Are you certified to make these types of judgement calls?  Every women is different, just as every pregnancy is different. 

If you choose not to indulge in your cravings, good for you.  You aren't going to win any pregnancy/good mothering medals whether you do or you don't.  It's all about personal choice.  During first tri, I could hardly keep anything down except the things I was occassionally craving.  Giving in to a coffee a day or a cheeseburger from McDonald's or even a hot dog is not what I call "risky behavior."  Talk to those who choose to smoke during their pregnancy.  That's risky behavior. 

• Options
    imagekimbarnes83:

You should learn about the quote button.

Either way ... I gathered it because you were bringing up people who do everything right and still lose their babies in the same post where you are judging women for doing things that are NOT risky.  If I was living under a bridge strung out on cocaine ... fine, judge me then.  Heck, even if I was living in my house and strung out on cocaine, fine ... judge me.  If I was setting myself on fire or having my husband punch me in the gut every day ... fine, judge me.  But do not come and judge me because, after reading this post centered around hotdogs, I am now going to go eat a hotdog for lunch.

• Options
    epphdepphd member
    imagekimbarnes83:

How selfish can you be?  Even if there is a tiny risk...a tiny one, that what you're doing could cause harm to your baby, why are you doing it?  Obviously you care enough about your pregnancy to be on a message board discussing it, trying to learn more about your pregnancy, etcetera... how can you not care enough to just freaking skip the hot dog on the off-chance it might do some harm?

See how what you are saying now and what you first said are actually different? 

• Options
    You know what, if your hot dogs are "ridden" with listeria no wonder you don't want to eat them. But I cook mine which kills the bacteria. And yes moderation is a key in everything. There is a BIG difference between 2 sips of beer at a party and drinking an entire case every couple of days. (for your information I do not drink and I have not had a hot dog since I got pregnant) but there is nothing wrong with them as long as you take the proper precautions, or act like a normal person and cook your food.
  • Options
    imageeasjer05:

Honestly, I'm really annoyed now.

I did everything right, and lost my baby and still blamed myself.  This time I'm being more realistic.

You want to discuss something real, let's talk about smoking in pregnancy, or alcohol abuse in pregnancy (and I am not talking about half a glass of wine after first tri).  Let's talk about extreme sports or shooting up heroin.

It is ridiculous to judge others for taking an educated look at things and deciding the risk level to themselves or their fetus is too small.

And seriously, whoever mentioned organic, farm-raised foods is right on.

Do you eat pre-packaged meals?  Those are high in sodium and nitrates and lower in nutrition.  Do you eat junk food ever?  Really bad for you nutritionally and because of the preservatives.  

It is unrealistic to expect to live your life that way. If you want to make that effort, rock out.  But to judge me because I am making rational educated decisions after researching on my own and discussing with my healthcare provider?  Eff off.

Beer

Yes

• Options

The hot dog example was merely an example of what SOME people BELIEVE To be risky behavior.  I wasn?t specifically saying, ?NO ONE SHOULD EAT HOT DOGS, THEY ARE BAD.?  What I was attempting to state was if there is something that you believe to be risky and you still engage in the behavior, you?re bad! Yes, bad!

• Options
    I lived on sour cream and onion pringles for 2 weeks with DS and RARELY could keep a prenatal vitamin down no matter how hard I tried with DD.  CALL CPS!!!  OMG!!!!!  I hope your baby doesn't have as big of a head as you, because that will be a bi!ch to push out your vag.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"