1st Trimester

Augmentin during first trimester?

I'm a vet and was just bitten by a lovely cat patient of mine at work. The bite is superficial, but cat bites can turn into nasty infections.  I called my OB's on-call doc and my GP's on-call doc.  Both recommended Augmentin, but couldn't guarantee it's safety for my baby (it's a Category B drug).  So, I'm weighing the risks v. benefits of watching the wound and keeping it clean, using topical antibiotics versus taking Augmentin for 5 days. 

I'm 8 weeks along, and don't want to do anything to hurt the baby.  Anyone with experience using Augmentin during first trimester?

Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Augmentin during first trimester?

• I don't have any experience with Augmentin during pg, but I was wondering if you could wash the area thoroughly, disinfect with peroxide/alcohol, and then keep the bite covered with a Neosporin-laden band-aid for several days. That might not be enough, but it seems less risky.
  • datandatan member

Thanks, I've decided to keep it clean, put bacitracin and a bandaid on it, and keep an eye on it.  I've drawn a line around the red area so I can make sure it's not spreading.  If it looks like it's getting infected, I'll do the antibiotics.  Otherwise, I'm going to be as conservative about this as possible.  It really looks fine right now.

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"