TTC After a Loss

PCOS ladies

If anyone is still up or gets a chance to read this in the AM -

I am a lurker on TTCAL.  I have been spending most of my time on the M/C boards.  DH and I are planning to TTC after 2 cycles, if we are emotionally ready, so I am trying to learn all that I can about this process.  Our first pg (that ended in a m/c) was a surprise after I had been lax about my birth control pills.  I used to use the Nuvaring, and loved it.  When my insurance changed, I couldn't afford the ring and had to switch to plain old bc pills.  Needless to say, I am not good at taking pills everyday and eventually missed a whole month.  I never thought that we would pregnant (although I wasn't opposed to it) because a previous OB told me that I had PCOS when I was 18 years old.  I had done a fair amount of reading on the subject but this was years ago.  28 now.  I was never put on any medication other than bc, and these made me have regular periods again.  My current OB thinks that I may not have PCOS because I got pregnant "so easily".  I have a lot of the signs - irregular periods when not on bc, excess hair growth, etc.  I am not so sure that we got pregnant "easily" - maybe we just got lucky this one time?

So I am worried about when we TTC.  How many PCOS ladies are on medication?  Do you know why your doc chose to put you on meds?  I just want to give ourselves the best possible chance to get pregnant again when we try. 

I read somewhere that PCOS also makes it harder to carry a pregnancy to term - does this seem accurate?

Thanks for any advice.   I really appreciate it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PCOS ladies

• You and I sound like exactly the same person.  I have the exact same story as you... we are even the same age!

I can't answer your specific PCOS questions, but I can tell you what the doc did to treat me.  I am on Metformin (500mg twice a day) and since I wasn't ovulating on my own after my m/c, he gave me Clomid.  This is my second cycle of Clomid and it made me ovulate both months.  No BFP yet... but I know it will happen one day! 

He did tell me if I lost 20% of my body weight that I would have an easier time getting/staying pregnant because of my estrogen levels..or something like that. 

Good luck and welcome to TTCAL!

• Thanks for the reply.  I assume that I will need meds like these also, and that my docs just never prescribed in the past because I wasn't TTC.  Although I think most PCOS patients are supposed to be on metformin . . .

I need to lose weight as well.  I did a little more reading last night and I read that if you lose 5% of your body weight (at least) it can help.  It has something to do with insulin resistance which is then tied to whether or not your ovaries produce enough estrogen v. testosterone.  Very confusing.  I work in the medical field but with animals instead of people, and the PCOS stuff is still hard for me to wrap my head around!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"