Babies: 0 - 3 Months

my 3 week old just ate 7.5 oz!

Holy hell!   How much did/does everyone's newborn eat?  I thought his belly was supposed to be the size of a walnut!

and hes done this before.  and didn't spit up an ounce.   And I feed him because he's hungry, weird huh?

Re: my 3 week old just ate 7.5 oz!

• this is called overfeeding. yes their stomach is small, and you shouldnt be feeding them that much-- why did you even OFFER such a huge bottle???

• JAWMINJAWMIN member
    Is he EBF? My little guy use to cluster feed like crazy before bed, and he sttn. But that does seem like A LOT for a 3 week old.

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • Loading the player...
  • All I can say is, be prepared for a big burp, followed by formula/BM. Kelsey took 2-3 oz MAX at each feeding.  Never did she eat more than 3 at that age. 
  • imageMiss.Modular:

this is called overfeeding. yes their stomach is small, and you shouldnt be feeding them that much-- why did you even OFFER such a huge bottle???

see above edited addition

• Wow, that seems like A LOT. My four month old usually only eats 6 oz.
  • imageMrsHowdy:
    imageMiss.Modular:

this is called overfeeding. yes their stomach is small, and you shouldnt be feeding them that much-- why did you even OFFER such a huge bottle???

really, you are not supposed to do this.  are you not feeding every 2 hours or so?  this isnt some badge of honor to eat that much, it's just dumb

• imageMiss.Modular:
    imageMrsHowdy:
    imageMiss.Modular:

really, you are not supposed to do this.  are you not feeding every 2 hours or so?  this isnt some badge of honor to eat that much, it's just dumb

yeah, didn't ask for one.   And thanks for being SO helpful, I appreciate being told I'm dumb

• imageDiAnne82:
    Wow, that seems like A LOT. My four month old usually only eats 6 oz.
    I thought so too. This isn't a usual thing but it's not the first time it's happened.   I guess he's making up for that major weight loss HAHA
  • imageMrsHowdy:
    imageDiAnne82:
    I thought so too. This isn't a usual thing but it's not the first time it's happened.   I guess he's making up for that major weight loss HAHA

At three weeks old, I think my DD was eating about 2 oz at a feeding.

• imageMrsHowdy:
    imageDiAnne82:

havent you talk to a pediatrician?

• imageMiss.Modular:

not about this, its a new development

• Babies have a strong desire to suck and will eat way more than they're actually hungry for if you continue to offer them more bottles.  My grandma babysat DD recently and said she drank 4 oz. of EBM plus another 3-4 ounces of formula in the 3 hours I was gone...that's ridiculous.  She wasn't hungry for all of that--she was tired, and instead of getting her to sleep or offering her a paci, my grandma thought she was still hungry and kept making her more bottles.  You'll end up with a hugely obese child if you keep doing that!
  • imageCubbyMama:
    You'll end up with a hugely obese child if you keep doing that!

And that is not my intention.   That's why I posted, the ped. isn't open for questions at this time lol

• imageMrsHowdy:
    imageMiss.Modular:

If it's a new development, when did he do it before?

• imagelaurandjim:
    imageMrsHowdy:
    imageMiss.Modular:

Friday night

• imageMrsHowdy:
    imagelaurandjim:
    imageMrsHowdy:
    imageMiss.Modular:

Friday night

Definitely talk to pedi about it tomorrow!

• imagelaurandjim:
    imageMrsHowdy:
    imagelaurandjim:
    imageMrsHowdy:
    imageMiss.Modular:

Friday night

Definitely talk to pedi about it tomorrow!

absolutely.   I thought the first time was a fluke but then he did it tonight and I know that he shouldn't  be eating THAT much.

• You know. A few days ago I asked a similar question and everyone told me to "feed him when hes hungry". Thats what she did and now thats wrong.

• imagecassiedawn:

You know. A few days ago I asked a similar question and everyone told me to "feed him when hes hungry". Thats what she did and now thats wrong.

and this is why I love you.  Thanks for understanding honey

• JAWMINJAWMIN member
    imageMrsHowdy:
    imagecassiedawn:

You know. A few days ago I asked a similar question and everyone told me to "feed him when hes hungry". Thats what she did and now thats wrong.

and this is why I love you.  Thanks for understanding honey

I never said she was wrong. I feed my DS when he's hungry. I BF, and at that age he would eat nonstop between 9-12pm. I wouldn't be surprised if he ate 7.5 ozs. But BFed babies can control their intake a little more and use the boob to pacify themselve.

So yes, FEED WHEN HUNGRY. But if he's guzling down a huge bottle, stop after a couple ounces and offer a pacifier.

My grandma did the same thing as pp. He ate over 10 ounces within an hour while she was feeding him, and he probably would've eaten more if I had it.

• I guess I should have started out by saying this was over a time span of two and a half hours.   But I won't be dumb anymore, I'm asking the ped. tomorrow!
  • JAWMINJAWMIN member

imageMrsHowdy:
    I guess I should have started out by saying this was over a time span of two and a half hours.   But I won't be dumb anymore, I'm asking the ped. tomorrow!

Ok, that's not as bad. Is it formula or breast milk? BFed babies like to store up at night.

• imagecassiedawn:

With the bottle, it is hard to tell the difference sometimes between hunger and that desire to suck when tired.   You'll start to learn the difference.  7.5 oz is a ton of milk...  Maybe your LO is big for her age (?) hehe.  Maybe your ped can give you a guideline as to the max amount your LO should be getting!

• imageJAWMIN:

imageMrsHowdy:
    I guess I should have started out by saying this was over a time span of two and a half hours.   But I won't be dumb anymore, I'm asking the ped. tomorrow!

Ok, that's not as bad. Is it formula or breast milk? BFed babies like to store up at night.

5 oz BM, 2.5 formula   I dont want him to be fat but I also don't want to listen to him scream because he's hungry.   He HATES his pacifier so that doesn't really help the bebe lol

• JAWMINJAWMIN member
    imageMrsHowdy:
    imageJAWMIN:

imageMrsHowdy:

5 oz BM, 2.5 formula   I dont want him to be fat but I also don't want to listen to him scream because he's hungry.   He HATES his pacifier so that doesn't really help the bebe lol

He is not going to be fat because you fed him 7.5 oz tonight. I would just talk to your pedi. BM isn't as filling as formula (especially if it was pumped in the morning), and it's normal for them to want to "store up". If he doesn't spit up, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your pedi can give you better instructions on limiting his intake. You can also try a clean finger in place of a pacifier, but I recommend trying a few different kinds of pacifiers. They can be life savers.

• we've tried 5 of them and he just spits them out.   im kind of glad since we wont have to break him of them but I know they have a purpose lol
  • JAWMINJAWMIN member

Are any of the pacifiers similar to his bottle? I know soothie and nuk make matching paci/bottles. I use just a round end paci.

• imageJAWMIN:

Are any of the pacifiers similar to his bottle? I know soothie and nuk make matching paci/bottles. I use just a round end paci.

we have tried the exact same ones that nuk makes like his bottle.  He just doesnt want them.   He's already his own little person, I can't make him do ANYTHING lol

• JAWMINJAWMIN member
    imageMrsHowdy:
    imageJAWMIN:

we have tried the exact same ones that nuk makes like his bottle.  He just doesnt want them.   He's already his own little person, I can't make him do ANYTHING lol

lol.

• Cassie.... come on. You posted about your kid eating 4oz, not 7.5. Seriously.
  • holy crap...that is alot. I think my 3 week old ate 2 - 3oz every 3 hours
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My 4 wk old eats 2-3 oz at each feeding (depends how hungry he is). Very, very rarely will he have 4 oz. Maybe only twice did he eat that much. 7.5 oz just seems like an awful lot for a newborn!
  • yeah, that's not normal.  you severally overfed your newborn -- never do that again.

• mrsj22mrsj22 member

Mine did this a few times... we would start out with 4, then try a pacifier- he would spit it out and cry, so we'd give him another ounce and then try the pacifier again- same thing. He would end up taking 7 ounces or so. It only happened a few times, and as of a month or so ago (the last time he actually took a bottle), he was taking 4-5. You're not dumb! It happens, and if he's hungry, feed him!

ETA: I would definitely talk to the pedi about it though, especially if it keeps happening... 

• According to the pedi they dont "understand hungry" they will suck and suck and suck as long as they're is something in their mouth.. I would put 2-3oz in a bottle and after that burp him and give him a paci..

I know hes not spitting up but he can become too full.. does he grunt a lot?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • mrsj22mrsj22 member
    Also, I don't know about any other babies, but mine understands hungry. When he doesn't want any more (from bottle or breast), he closes his mouth and turns away from the nipple. When he's hungry, he'll suck a few times on the pacifier, spit it out when he figures out there's nothing coming. and cry. ( I know he's older than yours, but he's been that way since he was just a few weeks old) 
  • imagemrsj22:
    Also, I don't know about any other babies, but mine understands hungry. When he doesn't want any more (from bottle or breast), he closes his mouth and turns away from the nipple. When he's hungry, he'll suck a few times on the pacifier, spit it out when he figures out there's nothing coming. and cry. ( I know he's older than yours, but he's been that way since he was just a few weeks old) 

L def started doing this around 4-5 weeks not at 3. The pedi also told me if she does what you are saying about spitting it out and crying, offer her another 1/2 - 1oz..

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"