3rd Trimester

How dilated do you have to be....

To be in active labor?  I'm just wondering because at my last internal that was 2 wks ago, I was 2 cm dilated... I have an appt tomorrow and I'm hoping I've dilated to at least 4 (is that too much to ask) LOL If so do you think they'll send me to L&D If suppose I am 4 cm dilated? I'm not having contractions, just BH and lower back pain everynow and then.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I know that it's possible since this isn't my first baby.

Re: How dilated do you have to be....

• I believe it's 4cm.  That's when my hospital will admit me, they'll send me home if I haven't gotten to 4 yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • Loading the player...
  • My hospital sent me home at 4cm.
  • From what I understand, it doesn't matter. If you're not in labor, you're not in labor. I'm currently "almost" 4cm/90% effaced and sitting at work. Sorry!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was admitted at 1cm because I had consistent contractions.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have been off work for 3 months so I can't recite our policy however I will explain it. Active labour is defined by consistent contractions that cause cervical change. The actual dilation used to classify this is different for primips (1st pg) and multips (2nd pg). I don't think you would be considered in active labour unless you were contracting & uncomfortable. I think for a 1st time mom its 3-4cm & contracting every 3-5 min with mod intensity (ute as hard as chin) and a 2nd+ mom its 4cm & contracting.

I am going to need some huge review when I go back to work have a year & a half off!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was at 4cm at 38 week exam, was not dilated at all at 37 weeks, so I was sent to labor and delivery to be monitored, I was having regular bh contractions and was sent home after a couple hours and told to come back when I had intense contractions- 5min apart, my water breaks, or I have bloody show.  At my 39 week appointment yesterday, I was at 5cm. I am still not in pain, I too get the occasional bh, cramps and backache, everytime I think I am going into real labor, it goes away.  The doctor told me if I were anymore dilated that I would be admitted, but since I am not in pain or must have a high pain threshold she said I can go home but recommended that I don't go too far from home and that if I don't go into labor get induced on monday.  I plan to go to the hospital if I have regular contractions again and they don't hurt, since I havent had pain all this time, who knows and the hospital is over 20min away so I don't want to take chances, I just hope I do go into a real labor soon so I wont have to get induced. But at least I am half way there!  Good luck!
  • i believe active labor starts at 4cm...not completely sure on that though. I rememeber something being said about that when i was in labor with my DD.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"