2nd Trimester

Do you think drinking is ever safe while pregnant?

I really miss wine and beer.  Actually like crazy.

All my friends say they had wine later in pregnancy here and there and I wonder if anyone here has an occasional glass or plans to down the line.

Re: Do you think drinking is ever safe while pregnant?

• I'll probably have a glass of red wine every now and then later in the 2nd tri.  My step mom drank light beer through out her pregnancy.  It's a matter of choice and what you feel is right.  I definitely won't be drinking every night or more than one glass, that's for sure.
  • diva741diva741 member
    I am not sure, but I think in one of my WTEWYE emails it said if you want to keep your pregnancy under wraps during happy hour that you could have a sip....I am going to try to find that email.
  • Loading the player...
  • No amount of alcohol has been proven safe during pregnancy. (Who is going to participate in a good study for it????)

However, many professionals and moms to be believe a small amount, esp later on, is not going to do anything.  

It's a personal call. 

• For me, no. I don't want to blame myself for the rest of my life if the kid comes out with birth defects that I might have caused.
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would never take the risk.  My OB is against drinking during pregnancy, but I know some OBs think one glass of wine a week is fine.  I don't agree with it, but I wouldn't judge someone who did it (in moderation).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hear Dr.'s even say to drink a glass of wine in late pg. Don't know that I'd ever feel comfortable doing so though. I've readtso much about F.A.S. that I can't even bring myself to take a sip....that's just me. I'll wait my three and a half more months - then it's on!
  • No. But you'll hear lots of people and doctors who say a glass of wine every now and then is fine. I don't think it is, but I have two FAS babies in my family and feel VERY strongly against it.?

It's not worth it. Even kind of.?

• FAS comes from women who habitually get drunk while pregnant. The alcohol in their blood is then enough to affect the fetus.
  • My Ob and everything Ive ever read says that you should not have any amount of alcohol during pregnancy. I just dont get what the point of having a "sip" is?! Is it just that people miss the taste of alcohol that much or that they miss wine with dinner? I dont know. Ive never had the urge to drink, but thats just me. I wouldnt risk having something wrong even though ost likely nothing will. its a self choice, just like drinking caffeine or whatever else they suggest that we not do :) I say no drinking though :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As for MY personal opinion (which is what I think you're asking for?) I won't be drinking, but I will have a glass or two of wine during labor at home which was recommended by our Bradley teacher/doula.
  • Only if you want Irish twins.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • EANEAN member
    Yes, in my researched opinion and based on my obs.  All of the doctors in my practice have said that once past the 1st tri, a small glass of red wine with food and drank slowly is totally fine. 
  • EANEAN member

According to my obs and the research I have done, it takes chronic over consumption of alcohol to cause FAS. 

I am all about moderation- I have even had some sushi from a reputable place.  Some doctors are hesitant to tell patients that a small amount is fine because it really depends on the patients interpretation.  This is my 2nd pregnancy and my DD is perfect.

• yeah, my midwife says that everyone says "we don't know what amount is safe" because they don't want people to go out an overdo it, but a glass here and there is fine.  that's what i plan on doing. 
  • imageFutureHardings:
    FAS comes from women who habitually get drunk while pregnant. The alcohol in their blood is then enough to affect the fetus.

You are so wrong it's scary. Google is not an accurate form of research.

FAS is very serious and can happen from one account of binge drinking during any stage of pregnancy. It's soooo important to avoid alcohol while pregnant. I have a lot of literature on this if anyone is interested. As I said before, it's in my family and heartbreaking every day.

?

• Safe- yes.

Worth the risk- no.

• imageSmallandNeedy:

imageFutureHardings:
    FAS comes from women who habitually get drunk while pregnant. The alcohol in their blood is then enough to affect the fetus.

FAS is very serious and can happen from one account of binge drinking during any stage of pregnancy. It's soooo important to avoid alcohol while pregnant. I have a lot of literature on this if anyone is interested. As I said before, it's in my family and heartbreaking every day.

First off, I didn't use Google... so don't mock me.

Second of all... binge drinking and habitually getting drunk are pretty much the same thing. You have to drink A LOT AT ONE TIME to get FAS.

• I was told the same thing from my dr and my special ed grad classes.  FAS happens from over consumption of drinking not a glass here and there.

I think that is safe.

• I have had alcohol here and there throughout my pregnancy.  Starting at about 13 weeks.  I had a beer at a baseball game.  I shared a beer with a good friend of mine last week (she is also pregnant), at 17 weeks, and I had 1/2 glass of champagne this weekend at brunch, at 18 weeks.

I think that it should be fine.  The way I have interpreted the information I've come across is that they don't know how much is too much, but there has never been an issue (that I have found) with FAS in children who's mothers drink only a little bit and only occasionally.

• imagei*heart*him:

I was told the same thing from my dr and my special ed grad classes.  FAS happens from over consumption of drinking not a glass here and there.

I think that is safe.

I am in the midst of a counseling degree and have also taken special ed grad classes and completely agree. The only children that are known to have FAS syptoms are the ones from mothers who were alcoholics, or drank enough at one time to cause damage.

Up until recently, drinking and/or smoking during pregnancy was not seen as taboo. Yes, they found out that overconsumption causes problems, I am not blind... but there are just as many "bad" things in some of the food we eat sometimes.

• imageFutureHardings:
    imageSmallandNeedy:

imageFutureHardings:

Second of all... binge drinking and habitually getting drunk are pretty much the same thing. You have to drink A LOT AT ONE TIME to get FAS.

Agreed.  There is a HUGE difference between binge drinking and/or drinking all the time and having A small glass of wine every so often. 

Woman in Europe aren't running rampant w/ FAS. 

• I live in wine country so that may be effecting this point of view but all the docs around here say one glass a week is fine. Some say a 4oz glass a day is fine. This is wine though. I don't know about other stuff.

The rule of thumb I was told was that if you can feel it the baby can feel it. I took a sip of my husbands wine at a restaurant early on and that was the first time I puked. I haven't tried wine since.  

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJCM083009:
    imageFutureHardings:
    imageSmallandNeedy:

imageFutureHardings:

Agreed.  There is a HUGE difference between binge drinking and/or drinking all the time and having A small glass of wine every so often. 

Woman in Europe aren't running rampant w/ FAS. 

The same with women in Europe who smoke. By god, every baby born in France would have low birth weight if smoking always caused problems. Everything in moderation people.

• i personally don't think it's worth the risk, i won't do it - but i'm not judging those that have an occasional glass of wine with an okay from their doctors.

• Honestly, I work with kids with special needs and all I need to do is look at one with FAS and I know that drinking isn't a necessity during pregnancy. My mother didn't and my grandmother didn't. I know it's a personal decision but it's one I myself wouldn't partake in.
  • My mom drank pitchers of beer when she was preg.  She said back then no one told them no alcohol and it was way more easy going than now.

Not that anyone should be doing that, but I think people are too uptight now.

• imagei*heart*him:

I really miss wine and beer.  Actually like crazy.

All my friends say they had wine later in pregnancy here and there and I wonder if anyone here has an occasional glass or plans to down the line.

I know what you mean!! I miss beer sooo much, but I def won't be drinking at all during my pregnancy. I have heard that having a glass of wine every now and then is okay, but it's just not something that I, personally, am comfortable with. As much as I miss it, I can wait it out!!! :]

• I heard that it can be ok but I'm not going to risk it.  Talk to your ob and see how they feel about it.
  • imageFutureHardings:
    imageSmallandNeedy:

imageFutureHardings:

?

I SO wasn't mocking you, sorry if you thought that. I was just taking the post really seriously. This is an issue very close to my heart, and I am incredibly involved in the FAS community. No one knows how much alcohol is "safe," so I don't know why people say "a lot" does it. I'm actually a part of a new FAS nonprofit that is just starting up and is going to be filled with awesome info. As soon as we get the website together, I'll post it so you can all check it out. Clearly, every thing you do in pregnancy is a personal choice, but this one that should be made very carefully.??

• imageFutureHardings:

There have never been any studies to show how much alcohol causes FAS.?

• I've had maybe 5-6 glasses of wine since I got KU...since about week 15.  My doc gave me the OK and I do enjoy it to relax sometimes...but I usually only partake if it's a special occasion.  It's a personal decision.
  • EMTXEMTX member

Not risking any, personally.

If anything happened I would never forgive myself.  Like PP have said, no one knows how much is too much.  It's obviously not GOOD for your tiny baby, so my opinion is why risk it?

One glass of wine or one beer is far from worth it to me.

In my bag: Canon 60D, 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430exii Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think it's safe to drink during pregnancy. There is no known amount of alcohol that is safe during pregnancy.  As it's completely unethical to have tests done to pregnant women to determine this number we can't be sure what will and won't cause problems.  I understand others think differently but I just don't want to take the risk and I think it's better for me to abstain rather than risk any exposure.

• Do I think drinking is ever safe while pregnant?  Well, I know of at least one instance where it was - my mother drank during her pregnancy and I do not have FAS.  If you're asking if I choose to drink during my pregnancy?  Yes -- since the second tri I've had a glass of wine or a beer here and there.  No more than one a week and actually far fewer than one a week.  But that's the choice I've made for me YMMV.  I had a trip to L&D two weeks ago and the nurse asked if I'd had any alcohol during pregnancy and I answered truthfully and her response was "oh no, I meant have you been getting drunk, not a glass of wine or beer here and there." 
  • I had a glass of wine last week for my anniversary.  It wasn't really worth it cuz it just made me super tired & I was in bed by 7:30PM!!!

I also had a couple O'douls a few weeks ago when I was done with my finals.  They were OH SO GOOD, but I think all the carbonation upset my stomach.  Maybe just one would have been fine.

I am not one to freak out about stuff and am pretty certain that neither one of those actions did any harm to my baby. :-)

• ZAngelZAngel member
    I will have a glass every once in a while.  I've also had the non alcoholic wine.  The Ariel brand isn't too bad.  It has less than .5% of alcohol in it.
    BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
    BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
    BFP #4 5/29 EDD 2/9 - please be our rainbow
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • EANEAN member
    imageSmallandNeedy:

imageFutureHardings:

I agree.  I think what she is saying is that a small glass of  wine occasionally (every two weeks) while pregnant will not cause FAS.

• I've been occasionally having a few sips of my DH's wine and when we were in Rome - around week 14 - I had a small glass with dinner.

It's a very personal decision and, as many have said, not drinking during pregnancy is a relatively new advice. My mother smoked and had the occasional drink while pregnant with me and my sister. We were born at 36 weeks, 6.5 and 7 pounds, very healthy.

Binge drinking and drinking regularly are different than having an occasionaly small glass of wine.

• I agree that it's a personal decision. I'm comfortable with a half a glass of wine with dinner every now and then during the third tri. Frankly, I'm going to miss frozen drinks this summer but I won't be partaking.

I have a funny story on this point. Last year, we were in vacation in Italy and I realized I was late. Well, I'd been drinking a bit of wine and figured I should probably buy a test and POAS. The instructions said something to the effect of: "If the result is positive, contact your doctor and reduce your consumption of alcohol." Stick out tongue

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • im drinking a beer right now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"