3rd Trimester

Inductions and C-Sections

The other day I read that 70% of babies are born after their due dates and about 30% born before. 

 On here it seems like most of the elders are already scheduled for inductions or c-sections. 

Is anyone still waiting for the baby to decide when to come?  Anyone attempting to go completely natural?  Homebirths? 

[Poll]

Re: Inductions and C-Sections

  • My OB won't schedule an induction until I pass my EDD.

    Right now I would like an unmedicated, vaginal birth...but my little dude may be breech. We have an ultrasound tomorrow to find out for sure, and then we'll make plans from there, if necessary.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm having a C section b/c DS is transverse. My OB likes to wait until 40 weeks even for scheduled C sections but we're scheduling mine for 39 because there are risks associated with going into labor with a transverse fetus. 39 weeks was the best compromise between lung development/risks of going into labor naturally.
    imageimage


    Certified Positive Discipline Educator

    "Remember: You're not managing an inconvenience, you're raising a human being." - Kittie Frantz


    Ari has 3 food allergies/sensitivities, down from 21 @ 16 months! Mama is Gluten & Dairy free.


    image
    image
    image
  • Ideally I'd like to go natural, but having never been through this before I'm leaving my options open.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • I am a repeat c-sec and my dr scheduled mine for 39 weeks.  My DS and also this baby was/is breech.  Plus I'm on blood thinners and they would like to reduce the chance of me going into labor on my own.  This way they can tell me exactly how far in advance to stop taking the blood thinners b/4 surgery.
  • It would take a whole lotta medical evidence to allow anyone to induce me, much less slice me open. I don't think mamas realize the risks for induction and C-sections. IMO, they can be much worse than a random induction because of a hospital or doctor's policy based on an ESTIMATED due date. If I get to 41 or 42 weeks, I will require a NST and an ultrasound to prove to me that an induction is necessary, based on the health of my child. And, again IMO, I think so many (if not most) inductions are done based on a doc's convenience.

     

    I know I'm freaking miserable now, and it'd be nice to have this little guy pop out. But I'm not miserable enough to succumb to the pain and risk that comes with pitocin. 

     

    Additionally, I think a lot of women are bullied into inductions. They think the doc has their best interest at heart. And he/she might. Not saying they're evil. But policies are not always the best way to go. Mamas need to realize that this is YOUR decision, and your doctor is an advisor. S/he works for YOU. You don't have to do what he says, and you can ask for further testing.

  • MegDCMegDC member

    I will be hoping for the baby to arrive on her own, but my OB schedules inductions for sometime between 41-42 weeks ahead of time for first time moms. ?The hospital induction list can get crowded and they do not want patients going past 41.5 weeks. ?

    And I am not going natural. ?I am already looking forward to the epi!?

    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm scheduled for a C-section at 39 wks because the hospital where I live doesn't do VBAC's

     image

    DS#1 3-28-02 ~ DD 6-15-09 ~ DS#2 5-31-13

  • As of right now, it's the same as my 2nd....

    An induction with no medication.  I have high BP, poor maternal weight gain, and severe HG.  They take mercy on me and induce me at 39wks (provided I make it that far without developing pre-e).  

    I was induced with my 2nd for the same reason and went med free.  Plan is the same unless there's some reason that pops up for a c-section between now and then!

  • I voted wrong...whoops...I am playing it by ear but if I go soon I'd like to do a natural vaginal--I am not set on it though, I'd definitely take an epidural if it got too bad or lasted many hours....If I don't go into labor on my own by 39-ish wks I cannot/should not go overdue (for medical reasons) & I will probably get an epidural w/ the induction. 
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... image Designing a Life Blog
  • I am having a c-section because the baby is breech and refused to turn...
  • I have an appointment on my EDD (Thursday) at this appointment they will do an ultrasound and stress test. I assume that we will discuss our "next step" at this point. I did ask at my last appointment and he said that he would not have me go more than a week past my EDD. So we'll see.

    I fear that this kid is not going anywhere on his/her own and is going to need some help.

     

    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image QueSara74:

    It would take a whole lotta medical evidence to allow anyone to induce me, much less slice me open. I don't think mamas realize the risks for induction and C-sections. IMO, they can be much worse than a random induction because of a hospital or doctor's policy based on an ESTIMATED due date. If I get to 41 or 42 weeks, I will require a NST and an ultrasound to prove to me that an induction is necessary, based on the health of my child. And, again IMO, I think so many (if not most) inductions are done based on a doc's convenience.

     

    I know I'm freaking miserable now, and it'd be nice to have this little guy pop out. But I'm not miserable enough to succumb to the pain and risk that comes with pitocin. 

     

    Additionally, I think a lot of women are bullied into inductions. They think the doc has their best interest at heart. And he/she might. Not saying they're evil. But policies are not always the best way to go. Mamas need to realize that this is YOUR decision, and your doctor is an advisor. S/he works for YOU. You don't have to do what he says, and you can ask for further testing.

     

    I completely agree with this, which is why I won't have an induction until my doctor can convince me that in MY situation it's riskier to let baby stay in, as opposed to forcing her to come out before she is ready.

  • I'm planning on having an unmedicated natural vaginal birth in the hospital.  We're working with midwives, we've taken the Bradley classes, and we're doing all we can to keep me low risk. My practice doesn't talk induction until you're 41wks+, so I'm not worried about that.  Also, I've been having preterm contractions, so they're thinking that once i'm off bedrest and meds at 37 weeks, I'll go quickly on my own. 

    At this point, things are looking as if they will progress normally.  

    Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'm being induced. Technically at 38 weeks 4 days (according to my ticker), but Dr. has been going by a different due date for awhile now. I will be 39 weeks on May 28th according to her, which is when I am being induced.

    Lots of people on here give the side eye to people being induced, which is why I have a link in sig about the induction. In addition to those reasons, I am GBS +, so I now know my decision to induce is a much better one for me and baby. I am planning on getting an epi. I didn't get an epidural last time and was induced. It wasn't fun.

    So GBS +, plus living an hour 1/2 from hospital (we just moved) + my first labor lasting only 4 hrs. start to finish = good reason to induce for me, so I don't give birth on the side of the road and risk serious infection to baby.

     


    Family Blog

    My Crazy Birth Story

    My BFP Chart

    ~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Portia Jane (June '04), Adelaide Isabel (May '09) & Scarlett Olivia (born at 38 weeks 6 days on December 18th, 2011 - 7lbs 7 oz, 20 inches long)

  • Original plan was unmedicated hospital birth.  Now, baby is breech and staying that way so my hospital allows some women to do a vaginal breech delivery and I'm doing the tests to see if I qualify for that.  If I don't, c-section. Sad
  • I'd love for things to happen naturally, but with my preeclampsia my OB will be inducing me around 36 weeks if I make that far. So I'd call that an obvious exception to the anti-induction mentality.
    image

    Pregnancy Ticker
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards