3rd Trimester
Options

Unplanned "Planned" C-Section...

So, my doctors are planning a C-Section for me, because my baby is breech and has been the whole term. My husband and I are still working on things we can do to help the baby turn (I went in for an ECV - external cephalic version - last week, which was spectacularly unsuccessful).  I'm making an appointment to try the Webster Technique with a chiropractor.  I've already done most of the stuff they suggest like breech tilts, inversions and pool exercises along with visualizations and ice and flashlights and other wacky crap.

I guess I'm reaching out for support - this C-Section seems like it really is "what's going to happen."  Help me make this process just as special as a vaginal birth might have been.  What can I do to connect with this as a birth process rather than a surgery?  How have you made your C-Section special?

Re: Unplanned "Planned" C-Section...

• Options

I'm sorry if I seem insensitive, but I don't understand why people think a c-section isn't as "special" as a regular delivery.

I had one 11 years ago and will have another one again in July.

either way, the baby comes out of a hole..(just realized how that looks when you read it~LOL)  why does it matter which one?

• Options

I am in a similar situation, I am almost 35 weeks now. I am going in today for moxibustion acupuncture to try and get the little guy to flip.

Good luck and hopefully your little one decides to turn!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Okay, so if it IS "just as special," then what did you do to feel that way?  Tell me about your birth!
  • Options

Read up on C-Section so you feel more prepared going into it.  The more you know about the process the more comfortable you'll feel.  You can also talk to your Dr. about  

I'm sorry it looks like you won't be able to have the birth you planned, but no matter how you have your baby it will still be an amazing moment when you see it for the first time.  You carried & nourished that baby for 9 months and having a c-section won't make that any less significant.  DS is almost 2 now and how I had him or how my friends had their babies is not really important in our day to day lives.   

• Options

imageshoshigana@yahoo.com:
    Okay, so if it IS "just as special," then what did you do to feel that way?  Tell me about your birth!

Maybe I'm not overly sentimental about the whole birthing process-not that you are or anyone else is.  But honestly, I didn't do anything to purposely make it special because it was different than a vaginal birth-and the plan will be the same this time too.  I just remember thinking "this sucks-but just get through it"

It's hard to explain, but nothing is more special than just holding your little one for the first time.  That's what made it special,  that he was finally here after so long.

You'll see.  Sorry I can't help any more.

• Options

I had to have a c-section with DD after I went through 36 hours of labor and 1 hour of pushing.  I'll be honest with you- I cried when the doctor told me that I was going to have to have a c-section because she was afraid that I would break the baby's collarbone if I did manage to push her out.  I had planned on a natural, med-free delivery and had envisioned feeling the baby come out and having her placed directly on my chest so I was really upset.  I understand how you feel because I still don't really like to think about it and I feel very conflicted about the fact that I have to have another c-section with this baby. Whatever you do, don't watch the Business of Being Born- I watched this a few months after having DD and it made me cry!

I think you need to focus your thoughts less on the delivery and more on meeting the baby.  I was so excited to see my daughter for the first time and even though it wasn't like a vaginal delivery they did lay her next to me for a minute before taking her away to sew me up.  I also had no problems breast feeding or bonding etc. and I felt very alert even though had to have an epidural.  Since you can't do anything about it, just don't focus on it- oh and be happy that you don't have to go through labor and then a c-section too (this is what I keep telling myself for this baby!). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You have a PM!
    my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • Options
    JWinCTJWinCT member

I understand that some women have a really hard time coping with the fact that they have a c-section rather than a vaginal delivery. I am not one of those people, so I can't possibly understand and I realize that. Everyone is different and has different expections.

I went through 30 hours of labor and over 2 1/2 hours of pushing only to be told DD's head wouldn't fit througth my pelvis. I cried because I was exhausted and terrified of having the surgery and just wanted to meet my baby girl, get some sleep and eat some food. But, I honestly was not disappointed at all that I didn't have a vaginal delivery. I really didn't care once it was all said and done. I was just thrilled to death at the arrival of my beautiful baby girl. It didn't matter to me how she arrived as long as she was healthy and there with us.

I am scheduled to have another c-section next Friday and I'm thrilled to pieces about it. I had no desire to attempt a VBAC, even though my OB told me I could if I wanted to. I had a great c-section experience and didn't want to go through the entire labor, pushing process only to find out this baby's head also wouldn't fit through my pelvis. Yeah, no thanks. I'll skip all that agony and just go to the hopsital, check in and have my daughter, thanks.

I don't really know what you mean by wanting to know how we make a c-section just as special as a vaginal delivery. Yes, it's a totally different experience, but the outcome is the same. Your BABY makes it special. I guess I have a "whatever is, is" kind of go-with-the-flow attitude and don't let myself get upset about things I can't control and always try to look for the positives in any situation. I find that life is much more enjoyable that way because getting upset about something you can't change isn't going to help anything.

My advice is to focus on the fact that you're going to meet your baby, rather than focusing on how diappointed you are that you are having a c-section.

Happily married Mom to 2 beautiful little girls, 2 dogs and 2 cats (all rescues), 2 fish and one 29 year-old firebelly newt.
    ~ Hoping to add to our family by adoption via Connecticut DCF. Application submitted on 2/4/14. First home visit on 6/23/14. Started class 11/17/14.~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"