2nd Trimester
Options

This kitten just pissed me off..

She has been using the litter box like a champ, but twice now we've caught her pooping in the corner. I don't get it. That totally disgusts me... and I took her straight to her litter box to try and 'show her what's right,' I'm just hoping she learns. UGH

Re: This kitten just pissed me off..

• Options
    She should learn, she is young right? also not saying that you don't have a clean litter box but maybe she is a picky kitty and needs it completely clean..just a thought...sorry you have a mess..
  • Options

imageBlueyedgrl:
    She should learn, she is young right? also not saying that you don't have a clean litter box but maybe she is a picky kitty and needs it completely clean..just a thought...sorry you have a mess..

I just read about 10 articles online about it... and I've read articles that say to keep it super clean, and some say that there needs to be poop in there so that she smells it and knows where to go.

She has been using it regularly since we brought her home a few days ago, it's just these two times that I've caught her. I'm hoping that since she's so little, around 6 weeks, that she just needs time to learn.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kitty has a couple oopsie, but soon she was a litter champ and no accidents since.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageFutureHardings:
    She has been using it regularly since we brought her home a few days ago, it's just these two times that I've caught her. I'm hoping that since she's so little, around 6 weeks, that she just needs time to learn.

How much free roaming space is she being given? You may just need to give her a smaller play zone while she gets used to all those fun and new changes since she's such a youngster.

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Options
    I think (from experience with our little guy) you are better to keep it super clean, I don't think she will have trouble finding it. We clean it like everyother day at least. He had one accident & when I looked in the box it was full of sh!t, DH hadn't cleaned it in like a week. Once we stayed on top of it he has been problem free. Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    image5dogs:

How much free roaming space is she being given? You may just need to give her a smaller play zone while she gets used to all those fun and new changes since she's such a youngster.

I did read that... and I think I may start just putting her in the room (office) where the litter box is when we're sleeping or going out, and letting her roam when we are at home. The funny thing is... 1.) Our house is very small, the only rooms she goes into are the living room, kitchen and office.. 2.) The accidents have both been when we were here, in the living room with her, playing... when we are asleep or gone, she goes in it like a champ.

• Options
    My foster kittens usually only had a bedroom and a hallway to play in and they still had accidents every so often until they were 8-12 weeks old. While you guys are home/playing with her you may be enough of a distraction that she forgets and/or can't make it back to her box in time (remember how tiny their little systems are).
    Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Options

image5dogs:
    My foster kittens usually only had a bedroom and a hallway to play in and they still had accidents every so often until they were 8-12 weeks old. While you guys are home/playing with her you may be enough of a distraction that she forgets and/or can't make it back to her box in time (remember how tiny their little systems are).

That's what I am guessing as well. If I wasn't pregnant, I don't think I'd be as worried... I just don't like the idea of her pooping in places that my child will be around in just a few months. If this was something that she just kept doing, I would be frantic... but like I said, she uses the box all the time, so hopefully she'll grow out of these 'accidents.'

• Options
    if you can, try putting her litter box in a more 'secluded' spot, if it's not already. strangely enough, cats like their privacy too when they are doing their business. whatever you do, dont yell at her/rub her nose in it if you bust her pooping not in her litter box. just pick her up and bring her to her box. stroke her while she's in it and tell her in a loving voice what a good kitty she is and even give her a treat while she's in it. hopefully she's not one of those kitties who just doesnt wanna go in her box! i had one of those when i was little, but he was a very stubborn male cat...good luck.
  • Options
    Try scooping once a day or ever day, if that doesn't work, LITTER MAID! CLeans out 10 minutes after kitty goes potty.
  • Options
    We had this issue with one of our cats when he first came home at about that same age.  After a week or two he out grew it and didn't ever have another accident.  Lately, however, since DH has been in charge of the box he has taken to pooping on the floor in front of the box when it fails to meet his standards.  I like to leave little notes for DH when this happens, telling him that Wolfie left him a "reminder".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"