1st Trimester
Options

5 weeks pregnant...is it okay to have one glass of wine?

Hi,

I have a work happy hour I have to go to tonight and I haven't told anyone from work that I am pregnant yet.  I decided to wait until after the first trimester to make sure everything is okay.  If I don't get a drink it will look really suspicious because I always have a drink or two with everyone.  It is a really small group going so I can't slip away and have the waitress change my order without someone noticing.  Can I have one glass of wine or is it too early in the pregnancy?

Re: 5 weeks pregnant...is it okay to have one glass of wine?

• Options
    I wouldn't take the risk.  I have heard that one glass of wine here and there is ok, but I don't think I would do it.  I would just say you have a headache or something.
  • Options
    I wouldn't.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    try club soda and lime...looks just like a vodka tonic, just make sure to ask that it look like a "real drink".  Especially this early on, I wouldn't chance anything, even though some doctors will say that one glass is fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Every Doctor is different some say 1 glass once a week some say none.  Mine says none.  Also since that little bean is in one most crucial time of development I wouldnt but thats just me.

• Options

I didn't know I was pregnant until I was in my fifth week, so I had alcohol until then. However, had I known, I would not have been drinking. I do have a glass of wine maybe once a week (closer to every two weeks), but that didn't start until semi-recently.

Most people probably don't pay that much attention to whether or not they're drinking. If they do and ask, tell them you're taking medication or something. Or just tell them you don't feel like having a drink.

• Options

I definitely wouldn't.

• Options
    i wouldn't, but you can get a virgin daiquri.. strawberrry.. YUM
  • Options

Your baby's organs are forming right now... don't do it. And who cares if it looks suspicous, just say you don't feel like drinking. They won't kill you if you just say no.

• Options
    No, please don't be an idiot.
  • Options

I wouldn't.  I was surprised with this pregnancy so had been drinking for the first few weeks and I feel horrible about it.

My go-to excuse if I'll need one is that I'm trying to lose weight and just started some diet or something.  I think it'll work well since I already look and feel 5lbs heavier!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Totally NOT worth the risk. Who gives a crap if they are suspicious? Just tell them you have a vag infection and are on antibiotics...that'll shut em up. Your baby's health is far more important than the opinion of a bunch of randoms.
  • Options
    Why would you risk it? What is more important to you... Them finding out or the health of your child.
  • Options
    Ugh, no!!! You are so early in your pregnancy and your little baby's organs are starting to form. Why take a risk when this is such a crucial time in your pregnancy?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is very serious (i have two adopted FAS children in my family). There is no way to determine how much alcohol, if any, is safe during ANY stage of pregnancy. A woman with a child in my cousin's class had only one night of fun in her pregnancy and ended up with a full-blown FAS child. Please don't risk it.?
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it. Just say that you think you're getting sick or something or that you're still hung over from the weekend if you need an excuse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Everyone has a difference of opinion.  Most people have no clue they are pregnant by 5 weeks.  With my first I didn't know until 8 weeks and everything was fine.  If you do, I would say sip on it slowly over a long period of time.
    BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
    BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
    BFP #4 5/29 EDD 2/9 - please be our rainbow
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

The what to expect when you're expecting book says that a half a glass of wine for special occassions is ok. 

I would probably opt for half a beer though because that has less alchohol content.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Drink ginger ale if your drink white, they will never know. I did it the other night. Or, use Pomegranate for red. You can always take a flask of ginger ale or juice in your purse. Order wine, excuse yourself to the restroom with your wine and replace it with the soda or juice. You should not drink, especially in the first tri.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    NO NO NO! Beer is definitely NOT okay during any stage of your pregnancy regardless of alcohol content...
  • Options
    Absolutely not! I wouldn't do it.
  • Options
    Some of these responses are alarming. DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE YOU ARE PREGNANT.
  • Options
    imagedori1678:
    NO NO NO! Beer is definitely NOT okay during any stage of your pregnancy regardless of alcohol content...
      Then why would one of the most popular books on pregnancy say it is ok?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks Everyone....I will definately NOT have a drink.  I appreciate you all getting back to me so quickly.  I'm going to run over there now and tell the waitress to give me a club soda and lime with no alcohol when I order my drink!
  • Options

imageStephanie2167:
    I wouldn't.

Ditto! 

• Options
    I wouldn't.  If anyone asks, just say you're on antibiotics and can't drink or offer to be the DD
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I drank at 5 weeks pregnant, we were on an anniversary vacation and I didn't know I was pregnant yet! But I feel bad about it now, and have not drank anything since finding out. I personally wouldn't risk it, but to each their own!
    http://i41.tinypic.com/111ov4j.jpg
    2007-Sept 2008: TTC the old fashioned way
    Sept 2008 - Jan 2009: Clomid 100mg
    Feb 2009: 200mg Clomid = BFP! on March 20, 2009 - It's a BOY!
    Nov 26th 2009: Aidan Michael, 20.5" 7lb12oz
    Feb 2010: Start TTC again, the old fashioned way
    Mar - June 2011: Clomid 100mg
    July 2011: Unmedicated cycle = BFP! on August 29th, 2011
    Nov 6th 2011: m/c due to subchorionic hematoma
    Dec 2011: Start TTC again, unmedicated
    February 12th, 2012: BFP! EDD 10/23/12
    Mar 12th 2012: diagnosed as blighted ovum
    Trying again..
  • Options

imageMrsGarciatobe:
    imagedori1678:

That book is kind of crap in a lot of ways.  And the matter is extremely controversial.  Some think it's ok, some don't.  The bottom line is, there is no evidence that ANY amount of alcohol is safe during pregnancy, despite the fact that some babies come out fine even with mothers who drink throughout pregnancy.  You just never know, so it's always better to be safe than sorry.

• Options
    My Dr says a drink here and there (I asked her what she meant by that and she said "like once a week") is fine, but in the end, the decision is up to you. I think I would probably try and get a "fake" drink rather than a real one, but that's mostly because wine (or beer for that mater) doesn't sound very appealing right now. I will have the occasional 1/2 glass of wine on special occasions, though.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Personally, I wouldn't. I think it's a slippery slope! (But maybe that's just me)

I totally understand the small happy hour thing, it's really tricky. Last time I had to do that, I used Lent as an excuse! Maybe start now complaining of a headache? Then your coworkers won't be surprised if you say you just took headache meds.

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Drinking just to hide the pregnancy is silly.

If it matters to you to not drink, don't do it.

My OB is fine with very small amounts of wine here and there...admittedly I had about one glass total my first pregnancy (split up 4 times), and had less than a half of a glass of red wine a week ago and will likely not have any more anytime soon.  My rule is any more than a taste is too much for me...I know many women think even this is too much.

• Options
    imageMrsErinnElizabeth:

imageMrsGarciatobe:
    imagedori1678:

That book is kind of crap in a lot of ways.  And the matter is extremely controversial.  Some think it's ok, some don't.  The bottom line is, there is no evidence that ANY amount of alcohol is safe during pregnancy, despite the fact that some babies come out fine even with mothers who drink throughout pregnancy.  You just never know, so it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you... nuff said.

• Options
    It is an awkward situation, but I wouldn't drink just to avoid making people suspicious.  Two weeks ago I had to go to a wine event for work and I was really worried about it, but I just got a glass and then held on to it.  Actually, my husband took several sips out of it when we were alone, so you could always go to the BR and pour a little out.  For me, it's less awkward to have a glass to hold on to, and that's way less suspcious than having a whole "cover story."  If someone notices you're not drinking it, then say you aren't feeling well.  Personally it just looks less suspicious to me if the person looks like they were intending to drink :)
    Just an absolute casserole of nonsense.
    CDH, born 10/26/09.... now I see a family, where there once was none.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageMrsGarciatobe:
    imagedori1678:

Controversy about WTEWYE (taken from Wikipedia with cited sources)

"What to Expect When You're Expecting has been criticized for promoting paranoia and fear among pregnant women for focusing on complications and for its extremely strict dietary guidelines. Murkoff also has no medical training and has been further criticized for stating she asks obstetricians to comment on manuscripts only late in the writing and editing processes.[2] With the first publishing of the book being in 1984, one reason it is considered problematic is due to the many old and unrevised printings in public circulation. Although wording is revised with each new edition to respond to critiques, older copies are passed down by women to their pregnant peers.[2]"

My SIL's copy of WTEWYE says that a baby can drown during an underwater birth.  Umm, yeah if you are completely incompetent, cut the umbilical cord and leave the baby in the water.  

I would not trust everything you read.  You are growing a child in your womb.  A little common sense goes a long way.

• Options

imageSmallandNeedy:
    Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is very serious (i have two adopted FAS children in my family). There is no way to determine how much alcohol, if any, is safe during ANY stage of pregnancy. A woman with a child in my cousin's class had only one night of fun in her pregnancy and ended up with a full-blown FAS child. Please don't risk it.

This. 100% this. I wouldn't risk it.

• Options
    imagepeas out:

imageSmallandNeedy:
    Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is very serious (i have two adopted FAS children in my family). There is no way to determine how much alcohol, if any, is safe during ANY stage of pregnancy. A woman with a child in my cousin's class had only one night of fun in her pregnancy and ended up with a full-blown FAS child. Please don't risk it.

I'm guessing that woman had more than one night of fun in her pregnancy. A lot of women have more than one night of fun and end up with perfectly normal babies because they do not know they're pregnant until after the fact (I am not advocating binge drinking during preganancy).

They don't have any definitive answers on how much alcohol (if any) is "safe" during pregnancy, but the research (or what they can do of it) seems to show that it takes a LOT of alcohol in frequent doses during development to cause full-blown FAS.

• Options
    imageannibes:
    imagepeas out:

imageSmallandNeedy:

I'm guessing that woman had more than one night of fun in her pregnancy. A lot of women have more than one night of fun and end up with perfectly normal babies because they do not know they're pregnant until after the fact (I am not advocating binge drinking during preganancy).

They don't have any definitive answers on how much alcohol (if any) is "safe" during pregnancy, but the research (or what they can do of it) seems to show that it takes a LOT of alcohol in frequent doses during development to cause full-blown FAS.

That said, this is my opinion to the OP:

I wouldn't do it- not at 5 weeks. Too much is forming. This is how I weigh these situations: "I know it would probably be fine, but I could never forgive myself if something went wrong." I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life wondering if I could have prevented a defect or something.

• Options
    I was in this exact situation last Friday.  I ordered a vodka, tonic then got up to go the restroom immediately afterwards.  I stopped by the bar, asked directions to the bathroom, then told them to hold the vodka in my drink.  They grinned and delivered me a virgin vodka tonic.  It worked perfectly.
  • Options

Well, I guess I'll be the outcast with my opinion, but I honestly don't think an occasional glass of red wine will harm the baby.  (Occasional does not mean binge drinking!  FAS has been clearly established for >5 drinks/week situations, but that is clearly not what we are talking about here.)

In France, when a woman gets pregnant, the Dr. recommends the mother to drink more wine and eat less salad (due to possible bacteria on the uncooked vegetables).  And healthy babies are born in France all the time.  I think a lot of this hysteria over foods is just that -- hysteria.  No one is ever going to do a study where they purposely feed pregnant women dangerous foods, so it's always going to be the safe answer to avoid EVERYTHING that could be REMOTELY dangerous.

Now, having said all that, I think the question you need to ask is IF something were to happen (god forbid), would you be always regret that glass of wine?  I think a lot of us would say yes, and that's why I would avoid wine, sushi, etc.  Logically, I truly believe that the chances of harm from a piece of yellowtail and a glass of merlot are so infinitesimal that riding in a car would be far more dangerous.  But if something happened, I wouldn't want to keep thinking "What if..."

• Options

Here's what I did with my CW's before I spilled the beans:  Ordered a bottled beer, and then just pretended to take sips.  If you get a dark enough bottle, no one can even see if you've really taken any out of it.  Or get something, pretend to take a sip, and then stop.  If somone says something, say "It tastes gross, I don' t like it" or something like that.

• Options
    imageannibes:
    imagepeas out:

imageSmallandNeedy:

I'm guessing that woman had more than one night of fun in her pregnancy. A lot of women have more than one night of fun and end up with perfectly normal babies because they do not know they're pregnant until after the fact?(I am not advocating binge drinking during preganancy).

?

Sorry, but it stands true that NO amount of alcohol is considered safe, and this woman did not repeatedly drink while pregnant -- she is very honest about how her son got to his current state and is very active in FAS groups. Yes, a large number of children are born without symptoms even with the mothers' choice to drink while pregnant, but the children who are affected suffer forever. ?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"