Multiples

Seperate rooms already?

Has anyone had a problem with one baby waking up the other? We started seperating the two of them a few weeks ago, because DD was sleeping through the night and DS wasn't, and I didn't want to nurse and change DS's diaper in the same room and risk waking DD.So we put DS in a bassinet in the spare bedroom, and kept DD in the crib.

Now I'm worried they can't sleep together! WE've been having overnight guests that need the spare room, so we've been putting DS back in the crib (starting last night and today for naps) and its been a disaster..DS is waking up and then waking up his sister.

Did anyone else have this problem?

Re: Seperate rooms already?

• I think the only way you can get around it is to just keep them in the same room and if DD wakes up for a few nights, so be it.  My kids have been in the same room since birth and they don't wake each other up now even when one is SCREAMING.  I think it's just something they will have to get used to and the only way to do that is to keep them together.
  • Ditto Kim& Jim. There are times when ours wake each other up, but more often I'll walk in to find one screaming and the other--in the same crib--sleeping peacefully. That stinks that it's not working so far though. :(
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • We have this problem.  After 8 months, we gave up and gave them seperate rooms.  They actually still wake each other up sometimes, that's how loud they cry : (  Of course, it could also have something to do with how small the house is/proximity of their rooms, but still.  We had to do it after we realized how little sleep any of us were getting, sometimes only a 2-3 hours a night for weeks.  Teething has been a nightmare.
  • I agree with the PP.. we have had ours in the same room since birth.  In the same crib up until 6 months or so.  I guess it wasn't such a big deal for the middle of the night thing since when one woke up, we woke the other and when they slept through the night it just happened when the least ready one did it. Before that we woke the other one up to keep them on the same schedule.  The quickly learned how to sleep through the other person crying.  Even now I can have one wide awake in her crib talking and playing or crying and go in and the other one fast asleep. 
  • See, that's the thing. We had ours together in the same crib since birth too, and for the first 8 weeks, they didn't wake each other up at ALL.  Then all of a sudden it started to become a problem, so that's when we seperated them for the first time, and while DS would still wake up once a night, DD would sleep for 11 hours. They've only been seperated for about 4-5 weeks, but now its like they got used to sleeping apart.

If one is in a DEEP sleep and the other is screaming, they will still sleep through it. I guess maybe its just if they are in a light sleep period.

• we have them separated for naps but not at night.  It seems like during naps they sleep way more lightly and are more likely to wake each other up.  Night time they sleep through almost anything
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"