Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Clogged duct

I'm pretty sure I have one. Any tips on how to relieve the pain? I'm an EPer.

Re: Clogged duct

• A warm wash cloth and gentle massage, if that doesn't help, hop in the shower
  • I would actually say a hot wet washcloth - frequently until it's gone.  Also hot water directly on your boob in the shower and massage in the shower - you can also soap up your boob and take a comb and drag it over the clog toward your nipple (this can help to break up the clog - use a dull comb so you don't scratch yourself!)  A hot wet washcloth over your boob while you pump - lots of massage and compression while you pump too.  You can take a little ibuprofen to help with the pain.  You want to get rid of this because you don't want it to get infected and turn into mastitis - which will make you very sick and you'll need antibiotics.  So work that clog out!  Massage in the shower will hurt but do it anyway - you gotta bust that thing up and get milk flowing out of that duct again.
    Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• Loading the player...
  • Aggressive pumping - I do compressions and pump more frequently and longer than usual to get it out. Sometimes I'll even switch my double pump to the single setting and just work that side. I know Igot it because the hardness goes away and all of a sudden Ijust got a ton a milk from that side. If it's really bad and doesn't go away in the first pumping session, I'll do a warm compress before doing the next one, do compressions again while pumping and usually I can pump until it's gone.
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ouch

The tips you've already received are good ones.  Jump in the shower and use soapy water to help work through it.  GOod luck, clogged ducts SUCK.

• I used warm compresses consistently until the clogg was gone.  I pumped more than usual on that side and I even added pressure directly to the lump while I was pumping with a warm compress and was able to break it free that way.  It was instant relief. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"