2nd Trimester

Poll: How much PAID maternity leave are you taking?

13»

Re: Poll: How much PAID maternity leave are you taking?

• My company offers me 12 weeks leave, but it's all UNPAID. I don't get a single dime. I wish there was a way around it.
  • imageMrsBro6116:

imagerosiep05:
    mental note...MOVE TO CANADA!!!!!Wink

SERIOUSLY! (and yes screaming seems appropriate)

Don't forget that they pay most of their paycheck to the government to start with......I'd rather saty right here in America

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I work in a restaurant and fortunately the owners are great and will give me time off, but nothing is paid time off.  My husband owns his own construction business - so neither one of us can take time off and still make money, unfortunately.  I am 12 weeks, and already saving up so I have $ to take 2 months off without working and can still pay my bills.  Consider yourselves lucky if you get a paycheck while staying home with your babies!!
  • I work for a small company and I am the first one in my company to need maternity leave so there isn't even a policy.  I am taking 12 weeks of leave.  I have 3 weeks vacation and 6 weeks of short term disability.  The last 3 weeks will be unpaid.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagerosiep05:

Just trying to get an idea if our company is average, under-average, over-average...

we get 6-8 weeks paid (depending on c-section or not), and then we can use accrued paid time (vacation time or personal time). so for example, if i have accrued 5 weeks vacation time by the time i pop the little one out, i can take 11 weeks...but obviously, i don't want to use all my vacation time! 

According to my employer's policy, I can take 6 weeks of disability at 60% pay.  I have decided to take the 6 weeks and combine my PTO time in order to take those 6 weeks at 100% pay.  I can take the full 12 weeks, according to IN state law.  But, if I take the additional 6 weeks, they are unpaid... 

• I don't get any paid leave I was planning on trying to use some of my personal time and vacation but its pretty much used up between all my appointments and bedrest no fun

to canada I go....its only like 4 hours to the border from here!!

Diagnosed with ML type II at 1 year, a progressively destructive disorder. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker check out my blog http://mommaskye.blogspot.com/ Expecting a little boy! Diagnosed with ML type II at 19 weeks Pregnancy Ticker
  • I get NO paid leave!!! We get 3 months of maternity leave by law and what happens is the agency automatically takes all your sick leave and annual leave you have saved and will use that to pay you during those 3 months. So if you get paid at all, it depends on how much leave you have saved. Which means when you come back to work you have NO leave for doctor's appointments! And you don't get to be off any longer than 3 months or they post your job. You can write a letter to the commissioner to get special permission to take extra unpaid leave but they rarely approve it. And I work for a state agency.
  • paid maternity leave? whats that?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am taking the 4 weeks before and the 6 weeks after that they allow....It seems like enough time and then get back to work<3
  • Wow, you guys seem to have it made.  I'm a teacher and I have had to save up sick days for years so that I can have paid leave.  Right now, I have enough to take off about 6 weeks and still get paid.  If I hadn't saved up, then I would have had to go unpaid for my maternity leave. 
  • I get 0 paid mat. leave.  I can use my PTO, but it is difficult to accrue it at my job, so eve n after working there 2 years, I only have about 8 days saved up, and have never used any!  Good thing DH makes decent money or I'd be in trouble.
  • I work for a HUGE national company and couldn't believe it when I found out the only pay I receive for maternity leave is 60% through the Short Term Disability program that I've been paying into.  Luckily I was already enrolled because you can't add it once you're pregnant!

I'm also going to use 2 weeks of my vacation time to supplement some pay.

I am allowed 6 weeks off for natural delivery...8 weeks for a C or when the doctor releases me to come back.

• I am going to be chatting with HR after break but from what they told me I get 6 weeks PAID and I can take another 6 weeks unpaid but after that I lose my benefits.
  • imagerosiep05:

we get 6-8 weeks paid (depending on c-section or not), and then we can use accrued paid time (vacation time or personal time).

This is our company exactly (they don't have maternity leave just short term disability that pregnancy and labor fall under)

• Four weeks after I have given birth but it's not paid. I have to save all the PTO I can. I will be working right up until I am due.

• Zero. the company I work for doesn't pay anything and I have to return within 30 days.
  • 2 weeks prior to my anticipated due date and 18 weeks from the date of the birth of my baby - 100% paid
  • im planning on taking the full 8 weeks of paid time thats all i get
  • My only paid leave is what I have left from my sick leave. By the time I deliver, I will have used up all my sick leave. So, I will be taking unpaid leave the entire maternity leave.  You are lucky!
  • We get 3 months paid off, starting the day I deliver...I guess thats not too bad...
  • I work for local government in Massachusetts we get 12 weeks un-paid during which time you can not accrue any benefits such as vacation or sick time.  I can use my sick and vacation time, of which I have 5 weeks of each.  I plan on taking one week and then working 10 - 20 hours a week until all my sick and vacation time is used,  Then on 1/1/2010 I will get 5 weeks vacation, 115 sick hours and 21.5 personal.
  • We can take up to 12 weeks off but get NO paid maternity leave unless we use our vacation time and sick time .... it stinks!

• imagePizzaBride:
    imageMrsBro6116:

imagerosiep05:
    mental note...MOVE TO CANADA!!!!!Wink

SERIOUSLY! (and yes screaming seems appropriate)

We don't get the year paid at 100% of our salary, though.  It's paid by the government, so we get I think 55% (but it might be 45% the number escapes me right now) of our salary.

yes, it is actually 55%. I heard we are going for 2 years-but don't know when that will happen. I guess it will be too late- I will be done with having more kids.

• 12 weeks paid leave at 100%.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just had to add in my two cents, even though I'm living abroad at the moment, because frankly I'm shocked at what a horrible deal American women get when it comes to maternity leave!

Since I'm living in Denmark, I'm eligible for paid maternity leave under Danish law. I get 4 weeks paid leave before my due-date (you can get 8 weeks if your job is strenuous) and 52 weeks after the birth, which my husband and I can split if we want. Not to mention that he gets 2 weeks paternity leave from the delivery date, and then like I said, we can share or divide the 52 weeks of maternity/paternity leave however we like. Since I just finished college, I just get a pre-set maternity leave pay-rate but usually if you're working you are entitled to 100% salary for at least the bulk of the time and then maybe 60-80% for the last part of leave.

I love and miss the U.S., but I don't mind going on maternity leave over here this time around! I don't know how you ladies do it!

Allison

(American living in Denmark)

• I get 12 weeks paid.  I'm also saving my 3 weeks of vacation for when I have the baby, so I'll be out close to 4 months.
  • Since I don't have job right now, all my leave will be unpaid, as is like, my entire life! i'm hoping that I can find a job before I start showing! I've got a good friend who lives in New Zealand, she gets 18 months leave, the first half at full pay, the second half at 75%. She also has a visiting nurse that comes twice a week to help during the first month, then she comes every month after that for 6 months. All paid for by the NZ gov't. I've got another friend in Paris, she gets a mandatory year off, most at full pay, the rest at partial pay, and a friend in Ireland who gets the same thing.

It's pretty deplorable how they treat childbirth in this country when it comes to maternity leave. In the majority of countries in the world, having a child is revered and they feel it's not healthy for a monther to have a child then throw it in daycare when it's barely old enough to hold it's little head up, so you get a year, 18months off to raise your family. 

• It's interesting to read everyone's situations.

I am a teacher and I get 6w with a vaginal delivery and 8w with a c-section.  If I have a vaginal delivery I will use a week of my saved up vacation and sick pay so I can have one week longer.  I get 100% pay during those weeks.

• 12 weeks. Ours is based on years that we have been there and whether its a c-section or not. 
  • 12 weeks paid at 100%.  But it's based on your tenure at the company.  12 weeks is the max, and it sure feels like I've been at this place all my life. Smile
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

DD: 6/21/10
    DS: 10/11/14
  • We do not get paid maternity leave. We can take up to 12 weeks unpaid. However, if you take the full 12 weeks, and are in an upper level management position, as I am, your job is not guaranteed when you come back! I plan to take two weeks PTO, that's it.
  • I work for a small company (7 employees) and will get 6 weeks unpaid. I can use my vacation time, which is 1 week right now. It will be hard not being paid for that long, but our health insurance is awesome, so I won't be paying anything more than 20 dollars, the copay, for the delivery of my baby.
  • Wow!  I never knew it, but I totally love the company that I work for.  I can have up to 12 weeks at full pay with position protection.  I can take longer with my LTD at a reduced wage (I think 60%) up to a year.  At this point my position is no longer protected.  I am planning on taking a week of vacation before my due date and then starting my maternity leave and then taking another week of vacation before I come back.  My DH works at the same company and gets two weeks paid unless I have complications and need him to take care of me.  In that case he would get more.  He is planning on taking a week of vacation when I have the baby and then his two weeks of leave at the end of mine to prolong daycare as long as we can.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"