2nd Trimester

Poll: How much PAID maternity leave are you taking?

Re: Poll: How much PAID maternity leave are you taking?

• None.  I'm the only employee.

• 0. We dont get any paid.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't get any paid maternity leave - I have to use up my sick days which will be about 2-3 weeks. I'm taking 12 weeks off and (thankfully) I have salary insurance that will help make up the difference... if I still have a teaching job in the fall, that is. No job = me taking a year off... Not ideal for us.
  • imagerosiep05:

we get 6-8 weeks paid (depending on c-section or not), and then we can use accrued paid time (vacation time or personal time).

Me too!

• 12 weeks paid. We can then take up to another 16 weeks unpaid, but I don't think I'll take that long, we'll see.
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • I am in Canada also, and I get the 55% for 50 weeks (first two weeks end up being up paid, essentially it is the qualification period) and my company pays me my first full salary for the first two weeks plus tops be up an additional 20% for the first six months.  Once the 6 months of top up are done my office lets me come back for 5 hours a week to top up my EI to the maximum amount I can (I figure if I can top up while on EI why not) and I work from home for those hours.
  • imagePizzaBride:
    I'm in Canada and we get a year off for mat leave.

Ditto.  But its only 55% of your wage.

• I get 6 weeks paid, but it's STD (so only 60%)...(8 wks for c-section).  Other than that I can use vacation.....but I don't know what I will have left or want to keep.  Small company so I'm sure if I wanted a couple more weeks off no pay, they would let me.  However, DH got laid off 3 weeks ago and his severence will stop right before baby...and unemployment isn't crap to what he normally makes!  So right now, we will just have to SAVE SAVE SAVE!

PS. I live about 30 minutes from Canada border in Detroit.....Soooo moving there for next baby :) 

• I get 4 weeks before (will probably only take 2) and then 8 weeks after.  I will take more time than that though.
  • cosmcosm member
    4 weeks paid + my 2 weeks of vacation.
  • I know I should be grateful for what I get, but I'm jealous after reading some of the replies...lol.  We don't have any maternity leave, just 6 weeks of STD which is 60% of your pay.  I plan on using that plus my 2 weeks PTO...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • I'm Canadian too, and my company offers a really sweet deal for the first little bit. the 15 weeks (i think it's 15 weeks) of technical maternity leave is paid; it's the average hours worked biweekly for the past 12 months (that applies to me), paid biweekly. that, to me, is a lot. :D then, the other 35 weeks or so is the standard (federal?) 55%. not too bad.

ETA: ?and on top of that, i'm allowed unpaid sick leave, and vacation time. can't remember right now how many more weeks that is.

ETA pt. 2: i think.?i gotta actually confirm with policy manuals and stuff, i've just been casually talking with the boss.

• As a teacher we get NADA! If LO is born before the school year let's out (which he will be since my EDD is 5/22) I have to use the 3 days I have left of sick days (all the rest went to my older kids sore throats and colds, etc) and then I have to take leave without pay.

They hold my position for a year but no $$. I plan to become a SAHM. Big Smile

• HA!  Paid mat leave?  That still exists?

I have to use all my vacay by the time I give birth so that I don't lose any of my STD.  I get STD for 6 weeks for vaginal, 8 weeks for c-section.  & I can take up to 12 weeks unpaid for FMLA.

• We get 6-8 wks under STD, depending on the birth, but the first 5 days must come out of our PTO bank.  I am taking an additional 6 unpaid.  I did the math and averaged the bills I pay for 3 months and will save that amount, even though i will only not get paid for 6, that way we have a little wiggle room.

• We only get 12 weeks unpaid leave. Crying That sucks. So if you have no annual leave or sick leave then you stuck - you can lose your health insurance since it's not begin paid since your not working. So, I'm only taking two months off. Crying
  • My job gives me up to 12 weeks of UNPAID maternity leave under FMLA, and I have to use my own PTO & Extended Illness.  I'm trying to save up as much PTO & EI as I possibly can, but I'm pretty sure in the end I won't have enough to last me the full 12 weeks. 
  • We don't have STD, but our corporate policy is that if you've worked at the company for 2 years (I'm due in Nov. and my 2 year anniversary there is July), then you get 8 weeks paid at 67% of salary with another week for every additional year you've been with the company (so I'd get 0 extra).  Hopefully, I won't go early or need bedrest because I'd love to use the rest of my 2009 vacation and some of my 2010 vacation as well since my leave will likely straddle the new year.

• 6-8 weeks depending on c-section fully paid..... then you have to take paid vacation then whatever is left of the 12 weeks is unpaid
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We can take up to 12 weeks but we have to cover it with our own sick/vacation time.  I'll only have a little over 5 weeks saved up so the rest I'll have to take as unpaid.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • LMAO! paid leave!.....(laughs harder) 

In colardo there is no law saying the company has to pay anything! I'll be lucky if I have a job when I come back...(long story)

I get two weeks off but have to use it for my DH's knee surgery and all my appts

I am having to come up with three months of pay for me....... we will make it! Big Smile

• I get none, so I'm taking none.  I've requested 8 weeks unpaid, which was granted.
  • I get 12 weeks and that doesn't take into account all my vacation time I've got saved up.
  • We don't have maternity leave.  I'll be taking 3 weeks of vacation, then a couple weeks unpaid and then I'll start working from home for a month, then it's back to work.
  • six months at 100% they just changed the policy and I'm more then happy to take advantage of it.
    Oh Crumbs
    Ponder-ing whether or not to become a Viking's fan
  • imagePizzaBride:

I'M JEALOUS!

• If we (the Americans) lived in any other 186 countries or so (cause there are only FOUR that don't offer any sort of standard maternity leave), we wouldn't have to compare and we'd have a standard leave to expect.

Seriously, the US and 3 other countries - mostly 2nd or 3rd world - do not have maternity leave standard. ?Richest country in the world and we can't even do right by moms. Sad?

• imagePizzaBride:

I think I might just move to Canada!!!  I'm getting 14-16 weeks paid....6-8 short term disability, two weeks sick time, two weeks vacation, and 4 more weeks (I get 10 days for every year I've been with the company...I've been here two years).

• 6 weeks (regardless of C-section or not)....I may take some vacation days before due date too.
  • I am taking 10 weeks total.  None of it is paid maternity leave.  8 weeks of accrued sick leave and 2 weeks accrued annual leave.  Then I will spend 2 weeks working part-time.
  • The company I work for is really small, so I am getting no paid time off. I am taking 8 weeks unpaid Sad which is gonna be hard since my husband just lost his job.

• We get no paid maternity leave! First I use up my sick and/or vacation days during the first 7 days of being out of the office. This is my 7 day elimination period for short term disability. Then STD kicks in until the baby is 6 weeks old at the rate of 60% of my gross salary. This is an option on my insurance I have been paying for, for a few years. After that runs out, I can use my vacation days again to get paid.
  • None.  We get 6-8 weeks of short term disability, and then I take sick or vacation time. I think you actually Have to go through your sick time before disability kicks in too.  Sucks.  My DH gets 2 weeks paid paternity after the baby is born.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageA&AHutch:
    six months at 100% they just changed the policy and I'm more then happy to take advantage of it.

I so want a job at your company!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • CA pays 12 weeks but not at full pay. I'll take another 4-5weeks with sick time and accrued vacation. My goal is to take off Sept-Dec and return in 2010...if I still have a job to come back to!
  • I'm in a great industry- we have 18 weeks paid, and can add our vacation to that (up to 3 weeks), and then take unpaid leave after that.
  • Self employed, so none :[
  • Well when I add up my acumulated sick leave, personal, and vacation leave it comes to a total of about 6 weeks.  After that, I don't get paid...
    BFP #1= DD, We've been TTC DC #2 since 8/11. BFP #2 on 4/18/12, BO confirmed on 5/21/12, natural mc 0n 6/1/12. BFP #3 on 10/11/12.... Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imageDanielsWife:

If we (the Americans) lived in any other 186 countries or so (cause there are only FOUR that don't offer any sort of standard maternity leave), we wouldn't have to compare and we'd have a standard leave to expect.

Seriously, the US and 3 other countries - mostly 2nd or 3rd world - do not have maternity leave standard.  Richest country in the world and we can't even do right by moms. Sad 

Amen sister!!  And we need to do something baout it.  We need to write to our congress about this to get anything to change (sad to say).  Maybe Michelle Obama would be a person interest to write to??

BFP #1= DD, We've been TTC DC #2 since 8/11. BFP #2 on 4/18/12, BO confirmed on 5/21/12, natural mc 0n 6/1/12. BFP #3 on 10/11/12.... Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"