Breastfeeding

Seriously what am I doing wrong?

So I'd say probably half of the bottles that I have made from my freezer stash in the last month have been spoiled.  What am I doing wrong?  I really can't afford to waste this much milk. 

Each were 5oz bags of milk, that had been pumped, and then transfered to medela freezer bags and frozen in our drawer freezer.

Help!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
m/c August 2007 - Blighted Ovum
Sean - Our IUI/Injectable miracle born Oct. 5, 2008.
Liam - Our second miracle born July 16, 2010

Re: Seriously what am I doing wrong?

• What do you mean they were spoiled? The milk went bad?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yeah- what exactly do you mean?  I've had frozen milk in my freezer, right in the front, for 2 months now and it's fine when I take it out.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • How did you know they were spoiled? Did they smell bad?

When I defrost milk, it often smells metallic, but that is normal.

Maybe this will help:

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html

• Sometimes it smells/tastes metallic, but other times it is actually fully spoiled, like yellow clumps that do not mix back in and it smells/tastes foul.

However either way my son won't take it.

Any tips?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    m/c August 2007 - Blighted Ovum
    Sean - Our IUI/Injectable miracle born Oct. 5, 2008.
    Liam - Our second miracle born July 16, 2010
  • Maybe check your freezer temp?

Until you figure out, maybe freeze smaller bags. That way, if you have to throw some out, you're only getting rid of a couple ounces rather than 5.

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I've heard of some moms having a high lipase amt in their breastmilk.  This might be your situation.

You then have to scald the milk before freezing (basically have it bubble around the sides, but not boil).  It prevents it from spoiling.  I hope this help!

I give up trying to add my kids' photos. Just know that they are adorable.
  • I agree with freezing smaller amounts... then it will freeze quicker and cut down on bacteria time. Also, can you just pump straight into the intended freezer bags? That's what I do, again, less possibility of contamination.?
  • imagepatrish1980:

I've heard of some moms having a high lipase amt in their breastmilk.  This might be your situation.

You then have to scald the milk before freezing (basically have it bubble around the sides, but not boil).  It prevents it from spoiling.  I hope this help!

Ditto Patrish. It is probably the Lipase, follow her advice and it should be good.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"