Multiples
Options

generic for similac alimentum?

I have two of my kids on Similac's very expensive Alimentum for their milk protien allergies...does anyone know if there is something similiar but a little cheaper we can try? I'm considering Good Start's "Gentle" or something like that because the can says they break down the milk protiens which is what the Similac can says also. Has anyone had similiar issue or know what to try? I'm going through a can every other day and its $25/can...ugh!! So any advice is greatly appreciated. hahaha

Re: generic for similac alimentum?

• Options

if it is an honest allergy you can petition your insurance to payy for formula.

hth

• Options
    we got 11 cases a month of alimentum approved by our insurance. each case had 6 of the premixed 1 Qt. bottles. ?we had our doctor write a note and an RX for the ammount they needed per day (which was multiplied by the 30 days in a month). ?it was covered till they were 12 months adjusted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We tried the good start Gentle, it wasn't working as good as the Alimentum.  I would try and petition your insurance company like the pp suggested.  We did, but our insurance will only cover formula if they are on a feeding tube.  I only have 1 on alimentum and I know how expensive it can get.  My only other suggestion is try and get as many similac checks as you can.
  • Options
    I was told by my pedi that there isn't a generic.  The gentle/sensitive formulas for Good Start, Enfamil and Simllac are all basically the same--broken down proteins to make the milk easier to digest.  But a hypoallergenic formula takes it one step further to make the proteins small enough that they pass through the system without trigering an allergic reaction.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"