2nd Trimester

short of breath

Anyone else around 18 weeks start to feel like they can't breathe easily?  Like their lungs are getting squished?  I've felt like this all day...MIL and SIL have been asking me for weeks if I have been feeling this yet, but I haven't until today.  Must be things expanding in there?  Combined with a stuffy nose and non-stop sneezing...it's going to be fun trying to sleep tonight! 

I love feeling these symptoms as it is reassuring, but they can be a pain...

Re: short of breath

• the worst part about this is it doesn't go away & it gets worse the further along you are. i feel like a 90 year old woman when i walk up the stairs now
  • Yes, but you are farther along then I am. It felt like someone was standing on my chest and I just couldn't get enough air in my lungs last night in bed. I yawned a few times and that really helped me out. If you are having a hard time sleeping tonight try yawning because it gets more air into your lungs. HTH!
  • Loading the player...
  • As your uterus pushes up it pushes your diaphragm sp?......that is a scary feeling...but I ha dit about 20 weeks or so and maybe twice after.
  • I am just now starting to feel like it's harder to catch my breath when I walk upstairs or do a lot of activity. It will get worse until the baby drops before delivery.
  • I just started to feel like I ran a mile when moving like a turtle--UGH

• I have asthma, so I'm not the best to compare to, but my shortness of breath has got worse recently. My pulmonologist told me that a lot of pregnant women with otherwise healthy lungs will get short of breath b/c the baby is pushing up and decreasing lung capacity. However, our lungs have about 30% extra capacity that isn't normally used, so even though you feel like you can't breathe you are most likely getting plenty of air.

If it's really bad you could probably get a rescue inhaler, but most of them are category C drugs. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"