2nd Trimester

Dog owners..

What breed do you have, or what breed would you recommend?

DH and I are looking for something on the small side (40lbs or less), that, of course, is good with kids.

We have a decent sized yard, but the dog would most likely be in the house quite a bit. Also, we spend a lot of time in the summer on camping and fishing trips, so we don't want anything too tiny!

Any suggestions? We're looking to buy/adopt sometime within the next month or so.

Re: Dog owners..

• I would strongly recommend not worrying so much about breed, but the actual dog. Go through a rescue who knows their dogs and can tell you exactly how a particular dog will be w/ your family. You can find one that you already know is great with babies/kids and they can match something to your needs that is a perfect fit.

Please, whatever you do, do NOT buy a dog from a pet store or a breeder (as 99.9% of breeders aren't reputable AT ALL).

• I love my boston and my pug, but Boston's have a TON of energy.  I would suggest a pug any day. They have a good temperment, and were bred originally to be companion dogs.  Every pug I've been around has been great!  The only get to be around 20-25 pounds though, so that's a little smaller than what you were saying.
  • Loading the player...
  • oh, and I didn't answer the first part... I have 3 dogs; all mixes. 1 is an Australian Shepherd/Rottweiler mix (soooooo sweet and great w/ kids), another is a great dane/smooth coated collie mix and the 3rd we really have no idea whatsoever. They're all incredibly sweet, not a mean bone in their bodies, you can do ANYTHING to them and they don't care and just want to be loved on.

• My aunt/uncle/cousins have a springer spaniel that is so well-behaved and loves going on their fishing trips (they live in Minnesota and my uncle is a HUGE fisherman). She kind of looks like this (I don't have a photo of their actual dog)...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have beagles. I'd be hard-pressed to get anything else within their size range. They are playful, loving and great with kids.

Down side: they need ALOT of exercise b/c of their propensity to become obese, they can be pretty stubborn and if you don't train them young, they can be barkers.

Good luck in your search.

• We have a cocker spaniel and she is PERFECT.  Neither one of us liked the breed when we started looking around, but when we saw her we fell in love and now we couldn't be happier.  She is GREAT with kids, and is IMO pretty much the perfect dog.  The only problem she has is that she has anxiety problems so if we leave her alone we have to crate her or she'll chew up whatever is closest.  She knows she's being bad when she does it because as soon as we get home she goes into apology mode but she just can't help it.  The one good thing about her anxiety is that we can go anywhere and have her with us and she won't leave a 3 ft. radius of us - she sticks soooo close which is awesome.  The only time she has ever run off is when there was a squirrel that got a little too close - it entered her 3 ft. circle and once she's on the hunt it's hard to break it.  She is wonderful - I would highly highly recommend the breed.

• We have a beagle that is awesome. He seriously doesn't know he is a dog. My nephew will pull on his tail and ears and he just looks at me like "get this kid off" but he doesn't do anything! He stays inside about 80% of the time and just sleeps on a pillow bed in the living room. They shed pretty bad if you don't wash and brush them regularly, but we brush him 3 times a week, wash him once every 2 weeks and don't have a problem at all.
  • imageJCM052707:

Please, whatever you do, do NOT buy a dog from a pet store or a breeder (as 99.9% of breeders aren't reputable AT ALL).

...and, I agree with this.  We got both of our dogs from a rescue.

• We have a beagle and that is the only kind of dog DH has ever had. Beagles are really cute, but they also tend to be more of a hunting dog which may be great for camping and fishing trips, but they also tend to let there noises lead them. You just have to make sure your beagle is well trained, just like any other breed.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have a border collie mix that I adopted 10 years ago.  She is so great.  She weighs about 40 pounds and loves the outdoors.  I think back in her "prime" she would have been good with kids.  She is getting older now but still is very patient when DS decides he wants to climb all over her.

I also have a rat terrier mix that weighs 11 pounds that I adopted 4 years ago.  He is a little too wirey and doesn't seem like he would be too into a camping trip.  He's a good lap dog, but he mostly runs from DS.

I'm a huge animal lover and I do recommend adopting.  There are so many wonderful dogs out there that need homes.  And from my experience I have always found that "mix" dogs turn out to be better dogs than full-bred.
    Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.....  : ) 

• imagerommelea:

We have a cocker spaniel and she is PERFECT.  Neither one of us liked the breed when we started looking around, but when we saw her we fell in love and now we couldn't be happier.  She is GREAT with kids, and is IMO pretty much the perfect dog. 

And here is a perfect example of why breed, in terms of a just a good family pet, means absolutely nothing. I was attacked (unprovoked) by 2 cocker spaniels who were about tohave a baby added to the family. SCARY! There are good and bad dogs in ALL breeds, but I can tell you one thing, it's hard for me to think of cocker spaniels in a good light now.

This is a huge reason it would be beneficial to you, the OP, to look at a rescue group who knows their dogs' personalities, etc.

• We have two Pembroke Corgis.

Pros of the breed: great personality, normally great with kids, intelligent/learn quickly, should weigh less than 30 lbs, likes to be indoors most of the time but likes to take walks/play outside

Cons: shedding, shedding, shedding, nipping and herding behavior as a puppy (has to be trained)

• I have 2 dogs. one corgi mix & one chow/shepard mix. I can honestly say that everyone that I come in contact with who adopts/rescues corgi mixes are very happy with the temperment. Mine (her name is Pumpkin) is amazing with kids, she actually sat still while my cousins year old kid played school with her and stuck stickers all over her... she loves the outdoors. she loves to swim and she is very well mannered. I cannot say enough about the corgi breed. Good Luck!
  • I have two toy poodles. They are great small dogs.  One weighs 17 lbs and the other is only 4 lbs.  They dont shed and are okay with being in the house for most of the day.
  • The thought of getting a new dog a few months before having a baby...yech. Just my opinion though. We have 2 rescue dogs, one is a Jack Russell mix and the other we got back in June, she's a little doxie/chihuahua mix. They are both full of energy and require a lot of time. If we did not currently have dogs, I definitely wouldn't consider getting one any time soon. Especially if they're going to be inside dogs and need to be house trained. Both of ours 'came house-trained'...neither were. Just a thought, make sure this is really what you want to do! Good luck though, defintiely go through a shelter though, so many wonderful dogs out there!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a Husky/Lab mix - he is fairly large - well above the 40lb mark you are looking at.  He is very playful and good around people.  I had a Samoyed growing up and she was really good with kids. Like pp said - if you go to a rescue they usually know the dog's temperment pretty well and can tell you if it would be good with kids and you have the added bonus of saving a puppy. 
    "When one of your dreams come true, you begin to look at the others more carefully." IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I have a Lab as well as a Shih-tzu/Maltese Mix.  The thing I love about the Shih-Mal is that she doesn't shed.  AND she is a better camper than the lab if you can believe that!  They're not as "girly" as you might think, she's a tough cookie!
  • we have an eskimo dog. he is a great dog with kids. he was a rescue. a friend of my husband has one and he is great with kids as well. 

here is photo to show you his size.

• imageMidwestTexan:

My aunt/uncle/cousins have a springer spaniel that is so well-behaved and loves going on their fishing trips (they live in Minnesota and my uncle is a HUGE fisherman). She kind of looks like this (I don't have a photo of their actual dog)...

We have 2 springer spaniels!   They have a lot of energy and get around 45 lbs.   They are awesome with kids and incredibly loyal!  Super friendly and great hunting dogs.  They are also highly intelligent and easily trained.   I agree with pp about not getting a dog in a pet store.  We got our dogs through a breeder and she was terrific - make sure you do some research on where you get your dog.

• I recommend a Sheltie. They're easily trained, good with people, active but not excessively, and cute as can be. They are furry and need to be brushed regularly but it's not annoying.

I agree with others, a rescue or adoption is the way to go. GL!

• I agree it doesn't really matter too much on the breed every dog has it's own personality. Also it depends on the training and the socializing it has. I would recommend going to the pound there are a lot of dogs that need a loving home. Our lab mix was 5 months old when we got him from the pound and he is very mellow and sweet. Our other dog is a Louisanna Catahoula Leopard and she's a sweet heart but a acts like a spolied princess ( very whinny, our fault).?
    Another thing I might add you might want to wait a while after the baby before getting a puppy. I can't imagine having two at once. Puppies need a lot of attention like babies.
  • I also vote for beagles! Ours is fabulous... she is a 13" and is now 25 pounds, fully grown. Ditto those who mentioned that they can be loud. But she's super gentle around curious kids; and if they're scared of her, she just ignores them and does her own thing.

Of course, if you're going to get a puppy as opposed to an adult dog - especially now - make sure you have a TON of time to devote to training and socializing it over the next few months before the baby is born. Otherwise, don't be surprised if it develops behaviors you don't like when your baby comes and you don't have as much time and attention to give to the puppy.

And oh, we got our dog from a breeder even though apparently some pp'ers would call that irresponsible. It's a personal decision.

• I always grew up with big dogs and didn't really like small dogs. Til I discovered Yorkies. I have one and she is the best thing in the world! My mom fell in love with her and got two of her own. 4 of my friends have yorkies and 3 have small children that they are EXCELLENT with. Ours goes camping and to the lake and out in the snow with us all the time. She is awesome and so much fun to be around!
  • Ditto pp that it depends more on the dog than the actual breed.

But as a breed, Bichon Frise are good family dogs and on the smaller side.

Animalplnaet.com has some great info. And here's the link to the bichon frise page. (That is a terrible pic of the breed, though!)

• imageAdriamichelle83:
    The thought of getting a new dog a few months before having a baby...yech. Just my opinion though. We have 2 rescue dogs, one is a Jack Russell mix and the other we got back in June, she's a little doxie/chihuahua mix. They are both full of energy and require a lot of time. If we did not currently have dogs, I definitely wouldn't consider getting one any time soon. Especially if they're going to be inside dogs and need to be house trained. Both of ours 'came house-trained'...neither were. Just a thought, make sure this is really what you want to do! Good luck though, defintiely go through a shelter though, so many wonderful dogs out there!!

I totally agree w/ this. We got our 3rd in Oct (not knowing when/if I'd get pregnant ever) and even still (and he's not really a total puppy) I have thoughts of OMG Riley's still so new and we have 3 dogs. (Didn't want 3, but I foudn him at my barn and couldn't take him to a shelter, he was too sweet).

This is another good reason to go with a dog from a rescue that is a little older (puppies are A LOT of work, I mean A TON!!!) that would be a good match and already have some training, etc.  Often times, rescue dogs that are bit older with good temperments have a really easy time just fitting right in.

• I have a chocolate lab and a yellow lab.  Both of them are great with Emily, and has been since she has been born.  She can do whatever she wants to them, and they won't do anything back. 
  • imageMidwestTexan:

My aunt/uncle/cousins have a springer spaniel that is so well-behaved and loves going on their fishing trips (they live in Minnesota and my uncle is a HUGE fisherman). She kind of looks like this (I don't have a photo of their actual dog)...

I had a springer as a kid, and he was wonderful!

• imageJCM052707:
    I was attacked (unprovoked) by 2 cocker spaniels who were about tohave a baby added to the family. SCARY! There are good and bad dogs in ALL breeds, but I can tell you one thing, it's hard for me to think of cocker spaniels in a good light now.

This is a huge reason it would be beneficial to you, the OP, to look at a rescue group who knows their dogs' personalities, etc.

Wow - that's horrible.  I agree with your original post - you have to look at the dog - it has a lot to do with training, and their personality in general.  However, this is the first I've heard of a cocker being agressive!!! Usually the only complaints are ear infections and potty training issues!  I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with them Sad

• imageMrsDuncan:

have as much time and attention to give to the puppy.

And oh, we got our dog from a breeder even though apparently some pp'ers would call that irresponsible. It's a personal decision.

It's not irresponsible if you NEEDED a particular breed from a certain breeder, but as a family pet? No. There are a few handful of breeders that are actually good in this country. They have show dogs, titles on their dogs they breed, every health screen known to man, tons of clauses in their contracts, breeder VERY FEW litters, have waiting lists months to years long, etc.  Like I said, not many breeders meet all of this criteria and more and it's rare someone needs a dog like that as a family pet.

• Just wanted to chime in-- in the case you may want to buy a pure bred dog. There are pro's to adoption and pro's to getting a dog from a breeder. ?If you do your research and find a good breeder (one who is local in their regional AKC, can provide proof of heritage, etc.) its worth going to visit and meeting the dogs. ?Ask to talk to the vet they use and ask for references. ?We have two pure bred dogs and they are wonderful (though not the size you are looking for). ?Breeders can give you a family history of health problems and a good breeder can certify through their vet that the puppy parents do not have some of the chronic conditions that can plague many breeds. ?They can also breed for temperment, meaning that they choose to breed dogs that display good characteristics and will not breed aggressive dogs. ?

A good breeder will also stay in touch after you get a puppy. ?We were able to call ours and ask for names of trainers, help finding local AKC clubs and ways to socialize our puppy and we could call when he wasn't feeling well or up at night to find out more about what calmed him and what he liked to help ease his transition.?

We have wonderful pets and I am in no way against adoption. But I also know from experience if you do your research getting a dog from a good breeder can be really rewarding.?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would definitely recommend adopting an adult dog as well, so you avoid the hassle/craziness (although sacrifice the cuteness) that comes with puppyhood.

We adopted our lab/mystery mix dog from a shelter and from a 20 minute "interview" we got an excellent impression of the dog both from her behavior toward us and other animals, and the comments of the shelter employee.  You honestly will learn a lot more meeting the actual dog.  That said, it is still wise to read up on whatever breed you are considering if you opt for something specific, or even whatever you end up with from the shelter, because some have certain requirements (huskies can dig, pugs can overheat, etc.) Just be informed!

• imagerommelea:
    imageJCM052707:
    I was attacked (unprovoked) by 2 cocker spaniels who were about tohave a baby added to the family. SCARY! There are good and bad dogs in ALL breeds, but I can tell you one thing, it's hard for me to think of cocker spaniels in a good light now.

Wow - that's horrible.  I agree with your original post - you have to look at the dog - it has a lot to do with training, and their personality in general.  However, this is the first I've heard of a cocker being agressive!!! Usually the only complaints are ear infections and potty training issues!  I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with them Sad

I know, who would have thought, right? Luckily I'm an animal person so much so that I know it's not the entire breed and it really does depend on the dog...I just think once anyone is hurt by a certain breed it's hard to get over that which really sucks!  All dogs are different and with the majority of less than reputable breeders out there, you just really never know what you're going to get, which is a scary part to me about getting a pup from a breeder.  Unless of course you're going w/ one of the breeders I mentioned just above...it's unlikely that honest to goodness GOOD breeders end up w/ nasty dogs. Unfortunately the every day person doesn't know the difference and sees "oh cute puppy" from a breeder and you just never know the history.

• We have a schnoodle (schnauzer/poodle mix).  I am sure that a lot of people will knock it and go off on 'designer' breeds, but we rescued her from a puppy mill that got shut down.  Anyway- she is AMAZING.  She is 24 lb and the sweetest dog ever, very smart, gentle, & affectionate.  I also love that she is non-allergenic (as much as they can be- but that can vary based on whether a mix gets more of the poodle or more of the other parent in regards to hair).

EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

• I have a male golden mix. He's too big for what your looking for, but maybe you could get a female golden retriever. They are a little bigger than the 40lbs. you were looking for, but I absolutely love goldens. They have a good temperment and I think they may be easy to train (I never trained mine properly Stick out tongue) The one downside is they shed and need to be brushed.

Good luck searching for a dog. Definitly go with a shelter dog. They need good homes too!

• We have 2 long-haired dachshunds...probably the sweetest dogs I've ever had. We have my nephew (who is 15 months) over our house from time to time and they ADORE him. My nephew hugs all over them and it doesn't bother them at all.  My one follows him everywhere because he loves him so much.
    BabyFetus TickerBabyName TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHisLobster:

I recommend a Sheltie. They're easily trained, good with people, active but not excessively, and cute as can be. They are furry and need to be brushed regularly but it's not annoying.

I agree with others, a rescue or adoption is the way to go. GL!

Awww - I grew up with Shelties and LOVE them.  There's a lot of great Sheltie rescues out there.  We have a yellow lab right now that we adopted from the pound - I swear he spoke to us through the bars.  He's wonderful with kids and a total sweetheart.  And I agree with those that said to look at the dog, not necessarily the breed.  I can't say that Jake's as great as he is because he's a Lab (although that could be part of it) - I think some of it is just him and then some of it is he knows he was rescued.  I totally believe that rescue dogs have a sense of gratitude - they know where they were.

• imageMrs.Carlybella:

We have a schnoodle (schnauzer/poodle mix).  I am sure that a lot of people will knock it and go off on 'designer' breeds, but we rescued her from a puppy mill that got shut down.  Anyway- she is AMAZING.  She is 24 lb and the sweetest dog ever, very smart, gentle, & affectionate.  I also love that she is non-allergenic (as much as they can be- but that can vary based on whether a mix gets more of the poodle or more of the other parent in regards to hair).

I'm so glad you said you rescued her as I was about to flip my lid (this is a HOT topic for me so please excuse me everyone lol) haha

It would make me even happier if you didn't call her a Schnoodle though. "doodles" ARE NOT breeds. They are mutts (which is great, love mutts, but no one should be breeding them) that someone decided to make money on breeding. And NO good quality breeder from either poodle side or other side is going to let their dogs go on to become part of that mess, you know? So you're already starting out with less than ideal breeding dogs. And there's a 50/50 chance of them being non shedding, I thinkpeople forget about that! That's why so many are dumped.

There are plenty of wonderful non shedding dogs without us having to start making more. :)

• we have a lab/shepard mix and he is about 50 lbs.  He is the BEST dog.  we got him through a shelter...I think he is going to make a great baby dog. ;)

I would definitely recommend rescuing vs. buying.  Just my opinion.

• imageJCM052707:
    imageMrsDuncan:

have as much time and attention to give to the puppy.

It's not irresponsible if you NEEDED a particular breed from a certain breeder, but as a family pet? No. There are a few handful of breeders that are actually good in this country. They have show dogs, titles on their dogs they breed, every health screen known to man, tons of clauses in their contracts, breeder VERY FEW litters, have waiting lists months to years long, etc.  Like I said, not many breeders meet all of this criteria and more and it's rare someone needs a dog like that as a family pet.

Very good advice!  This is exactly how went about getting our springer spaniels......We bought them for a particular purpose (hunting) and not all breeds make good hunting dogs - instincts are instincts.  Definitely do you research when getting a dog - make sure you know what you want it for!  I love my springers and never looked back!

• Do not believe the stereotypes....poodles are the best dog in the whole world!  We have three miniature poodles, all boys, and they are amazing.  They are all 13-14 pounds, very easy to pick up, and perfect lap dogs.  They are incredibly smart, and have personalities.   I feel like I have 3 children already...the play, fight, tease each other, and overall get along very well.  They have been wonderful with any young children who they have met, so I have no worries about them when the baby comes.  They are incredibly loving, and while the barking can get annoying at times, it is not that bad.  Plus, they are hypoallergenic...I have awful allergies, and I can bury my nose in their fur and it does not bother me.  We get them groomed every three months, and we don't do the typical "foo foo cut;" we shave them down close, and they look adorable.  I promise you, you will love a poodle! 

Oh, and one of them we adopted...and he adjusted incredibly well.  He is now the most loving dog I have ever met in my life...its like he can't kiss us and thank us enough for rescuing him! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"