Infertility

Husband with Low Testosterone

We just got married and I have been off of the pill for approx. 6 months. We were already aware for the last year that my husband has very very low testosterone. I forget exactly but I think it falls around 50 somewhere. He has been using Androgel for months and it did not seem to increase his levels. He is now going to be prescribed the shots to help him.

We have been having unprotected now because we would love to conceive. I was just curious if it is impossible to conceive with testosterone that low. I don't want to even get my hopes up each month if there isn't a possibility until his levels rise.

Also, if anyone else has the same issue I would love to hear your thoughts as well.

TIA :)

Re: Husband with Low Testosterone

• My husband had low testosterone (108..I think) and his urologist put him on Clomid 50mg once daily. Now, three months later his testosterone is 805 (high normal) and his sperm analysis has greatly improved. I think it would be possible to concieve but testosterone is what drives the testicles to make sperm. So if it is low then you might want to get a SA to check everything out!

Hope that helps....good luck!

• DO NOT LET YOUR DH USE ANDROGEL AND/OR TESTOSTERONE SHOTS.

My DH also has extremely low test. (his level was 38) and was on androgel for 2 years, we did not find out until after we were TTC thart andro gel and other testosterone replacements actually make men STOP producing sperm and causes sterility.  

Your DH needs to go see a urologist that specializes in male infertility and they will be able to get him on something else to help raise his testosterone. Most men start with clomid, although that did not work for my DH and he has now been on 3x weekly HCG injections and that has worked wondersand after 6 months he is finally producing sperm again.

You can even read some of my blog (link in siggy) that details our story and what we have been through so far, and feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Good luck to you!!

My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH also has low testosterone.  He saw a urologist specializing in male infertility who put him on Clomid for about 6 months (25 mg a day).  It improved his counts slightly but not enough for IUI so we did IVF w/ICSI.  It is considered experimental in men but his insurance covered it and he had no side effects.

I agree with pp that he needs to see a urologist specializing in infertility.  Do you know what his counts are like now?

Also, PSA for any DH with low testosterone...they should get a bone density scan as low testosterone can lead to osteoporosis.  We found out that DH already has it in his spine and osteopenia in his hips.  He know sees an endocrinologist who has him on calcium and vitamin D supplements to help restore bone density.  After we are done TTC they may put him on testosterone replacement or some other treatment.

good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • our experience is pretty much the same as iheartmike7

dh low test. (around 150), he was put on Clomid 50mg daily (at bed to mini. side effects), after 3 months he was over 900, and it also help increase all of his other counts as well, I highly recommend

good luck

• My DH has low testosterone, but his sperm count was fine so doctors don't seem terribly concerned with regards to fertility. However, we are seeing a RE and probably regular endocronologist in the upcoming months.

Stay tuned.

• Ditto on the Androgel. It is a big no no for TTC. My DH was on it for over 6 months before we went to the RE and were told that it was doing the exact opposite of what we wanted it to.
  • My DH had low testosterone.  He had surgery to fix a vericoele and it has increased to over 700.  He is now on Clomid 25mg to help with the other numbers that are still low.  Our urologist was quick to point out that there are many health issues that will come about due to low Testosterone.  When my DH heard about low T causing erectile dysfunction he was quick to jump on the surgery bandwagon.  Get your DH to a fertility urologist ASAP.  That testosterone number is very low!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"