Baby Names

wdyt of the name- Emery

DH loves this name, and I like it a lot- but i think it is maybe a girl name and he likes it for a boy.

opinions?

also- do you think the whole emory board thing would haunt the kid, or they would hear it once in a while, but not enoough to make this name worse than any other.

thanks!!

EDD with #4  01-20-14
Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

Re: wdyt of the name- Emery

• NMS. maybe middle name? feels made up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Emery for a girl...maybe use Emerson for a boy. I don't think emory boards are too popular these days so I wouldn't worry about that.
  • Loading the player...
  • way too trendy for me
  • Even though it is traditionally a boy's name, it has made the transition (just like Madison, Addison, and Ashley did years ago) to girl territory recently.

It is a pretty popular girl name where we live. A lot of them are Emerson, with the nn Emery/Emory. I think a boy named Emery would probably be self concious if the only people he knew with his name were girls.

• imageEmmaRain:

Even though it is traditionally a boy's name, it has made the transition (just like Madison, Addison, and Ashley did years ago) to girl territory recently.

It is a pretty popular girl name where we live. A lot of them are Emerson, with the nn Emery/Emory. I think a boy named Emery would probably be self concious if the only people he knew with his name were girls.

If you check out babynamewizard.com, you can see where it is most popular and for what sex. It says it peaked in the 1880s as a boy's name and is peaking right now (in 2006-2008) as a girl's name.

• The only Emery I have ever known was a boy, but I like for a girl more. 
  • I have a good friend named Emory, I like it spelled with an "o" instead of and "e".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love it for a girl!..My grandmother lived on Emery Street when I was little. I always thought it was pretty!
    VOTE on my Name List Pregnancy Ticker
  • The only Emory I know is a male, but he does use an "o" rather than an "e". I like it for either boy or girl- it's a nice classic sounding name!
  • I think it is a girl name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Emery is our top choice for a girl name, so I love it! 

I believe it was #571 on the SSA list for girls last year and not ranked for boys.

• I love this name... for a boy OR a girl! I also like Emerson for either :) And no, I dont think that people with think of a nail file :)

After all - everyone has those fake nails anyhow... People probably dont even remember what an emory board is! haha :)

• Sorry forgot to add :) I also used to work with a man named Emery (I think he was in his 40's or so...)
  • I really like the name Emery for a boy and if we have more than one boy that name may be in the running.  That is if I can get my DH past wanting everyone's names to start with K.  :o)  I think it is a good name and I did not even think about an emory board.  So I think it may come up occasionally but not so much that he hates his name.
  • It's nms. ?I think of the emory board, but I doubt anyone in her generation will. ?But really, it just doesn't sound pleasing to me.

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Emery is a girl name for sure.  Do not do that to a boy!  Wow. 

And yes, the child would hear "Emery board" constantly!

• Emery was one of our girl names.  I love it for a girl, but not a fan for a boy.
  • Good friends of ours named their baby son Emery this past August.  It was after the wife's grandfather.  At first, since I had never heard it, I thought it was a bit unusual, but now I am used to it.  I like it!
  • I like Emery for a girl. I don't pronounce Emery the same as emory-- am I the only one? Emery is Em-er-ee. Emory is em-ree. To me anyway!

• It was my top pick for a girl but DH wasn't with me on it. Our last name is similar to Moore and DH thought it sounded too close to emory board :( I also pronounce it Em-er-ree rather then em-ree
  • It was my grandfather's name, and it's only recently become a "neutral/girl's" name. It was a male name for years. I actually hate it for a girl, I think it sounds like a boy name.?
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

• My baby cousin is Emery Reese Scarlett. It fits her so well! I think it is a beautiful name!
  • I love the name Emery. I tried to convince DH to like it too for a middle name but he said "no". I also love Emerson - just a variation.

I never even thought of the emory board and I use one all the time so I don't know. Kids will find something to poke fun at no matter what name you use I guess... I was worried more about something like "no memory, Emery" or something... LOL but even that didn't make me change my mind I still love the name.

• It is my uncles name. He has met maybe 3 other Emery's in his life? He has never had a problem with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"