August 2017 Moms

Hospital Tours

I know it's early but our practice requires we do a hospital tour and they're already booked through March!! What questions are you asking or STM do you wish you asked during your hospital tours? 
TW: 
1 infant loss
8/17: Our daughter was born
8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!

Re: Hospital Tours

• I plan on asking what is provided for mom and baby and what do they recommend packing? 

I also have to ask about visiting age...My sister-in-law is nine. The hospital websites states that children under the age of 12 can visit as long as they are siblings. Is that siblings of the parents or siblings of the newborn? I would love for my little SIL to meet her niece or nephew in the hospital and if they say no I may have to lie about her age (she is very tall for her age). 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @BlackNYellow at our hospital, it was siblings of the child.  If I understand correctly, it's because children under that age tend to not understand how bad germs are for babies and if they're even slightly sick, they may not be 100% honest and bring germs to the hospital. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Know about the food situation. The 24 hour cafeteria was a half mile walk from the maternity ward building. I felt famished after I was able to rest up. It didn't help that it was in the middle of a blizzard so having my husband drive somewhere wasn't an option. But still!
  • BlackNYellowBlackNYellow member
    edited January 2017
    @BlackNYellow at our hospital, it was siblings of the child.  If I understand correctly, it's because children under that age tend to not understand how bad germs are for babies and if they're even slightly sick, they may not be 100% honest and bring germs to the hospital. 
    I think you are correct. It is probably best that way but it does stink for her since she is not just some random 9 year old. She is my little sister (in law) and I have been with my husband for longer than she has been on this planet. I would love to have her there but sneaking her in would not be a very wise idea either. : / 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• How many people can be in delivery room with you? How many visitors at a time in recovery room? Visiting hours?  Food situation?  Does baby sleep in your room or in nursery?  Ask about the NICU situation too... my son was brought directly to NICU after birth and I knew absolutely nothing about it. I wish I had been prepared.  Better to know their protocol and guidelines and not need it, than to be totally unprepared. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• 24 hours after my son was born he had a fever and had to stay in the NICU for 72 hours.   I got discharged before he did but obviously didn't want to leave him in the hospital alone.   I would just make sure that the hospital allows you to stay if you want - I basically slept in a chair next to his crib for those couple nights but I've heard some hospitals just have "visiting hours" for parents in the NICU.     Hopefully it'll be nothing you have to worry about but it good to know just in case.