1st Trimester
Options

HCG Beta low????

Sweetcake33Sweetcake33 member
edited January 2017 in 1st Trimester
Hi ladies. Im just looking for a little insight and/or success stories. I went in last Thursday for my bloodwork and my HCG was 138. They tested again this morning and it came back 390. My nurse didnt sound very optimistic and told me that my doc usually want to see the numbers grow by 50-60%. I asked her if my levels were low and she said they'll know more Wednesday at my next draw. Are my numbers low? I thought we were fine so long as the numbers keep going up. Im nervous because I havent had a positive test in 7 years. We've been through IVF, IUI, and several FET's. This is a natural cycle. I am really praying for some devine intervention. Has anyone experienced these types of numbers or low betas?

Re: HCG Beta low????

• Options
    Sweetcake33 - How far along would you have been with those beta numbers? 

By my count, from 138 on 1/12 to 390 on 1/16 is a doubling time of 64 hours, which is within normal from what I've always been told (ideally should double at least every 48-72 hours in early pregnancy). Here's a HGC doubling rate calculator. https://www.countdowntopregnancy.com/tools/beta_doubling_calculator.php

I was in a similar situation recently, and found this article by Dr. Sher (a well known RE) very comforting as I was stressing about my beta results. https://haveababy.com/fertility-information/ivf-authority/the-real-meaning-of-beta-hcg-levels

FWIW, my level significantly rose but did not appropriately double between my 2nd and 3rd betas a few weeks ago, but my RE was not at all concerned, and I went in last week for my 6 week u/s following IVF and everything looked fine, no blighted ovum, etc. I go in for a 7 week u/s tomorrow so hopefully more good news. I am obviously not in the clear here, but it's out of my control so I'm just trying to be positive while I wait it out. 

Not sure why your nurse was so pessimistic, but you are by no means out. Better yet, right now you are pregnant :) That in and of itself is something to celebrate. Be cautiously optimistic, and hopefully you'll get some reassuring news on Wednesday. 
  • Options
    ChiTown16  Thanks for the reassuring words. I think at the time I was about 4 weeks and a day or two. I did get my bloodwork back from today's visit and it was 779. My nurse said that was good news. I go back on Friday for bloodwork again. I made a decision this morning to just be happy in the fact that I am pregnant and praying for a healthy pregnancy and baby. Be encouraged, as I will be too.