Infertility
Options

Multiple IVF Cycles without luck

hello

I am 30 years old and we have been TTC for almost three years now. We did our first IVF cycle in June 2016. We had one fresh embryo to transfer and it didn't work. We decided to roll straight into a second try and this time had four embryos and did a fresh transfer of one but then had none to freeze because they never progressed. We took a break and are now starting our third try. Hopefully third time is the charm!!!  I start BC next week and it will be a February IVF. 

Our issue is my husband does not have good motility. They don't have an explanation for us but have put him on multiple medications and have changed them this time. Also we will be doing male and female retrieval where they take the sperm directly from the source. 

I have been on this discussion board from the beginning but have not seen a discussion board about people doing it multiple times so I wanted to shout out to all those people.  It's been the hardest thing I have ever done and now thinking we are going to do it again scares me. But maybe we all can motivate each other and 2017 can be our year!

Re: Multiple IVF Cycles without luck

• Options
    Good luck to you!  I'm on try number two. I had the first round with a fresh transfer, then a FET.  I'm out of embryos so today is ER number two. We are only doing FETs this time and adding a uterine scratch and pgs testing.   This is a hard process and it's nice to know you aren't alone, especially when you have to go through it multiple times.  

me:41 dh:42
    me:PCOS, blocked left fallopian tube, hyperprolactinemia  (dh's swimmers are perfect/normal)
    Tried 3 rounds of clomid with Ovidrel trigger (BFNs)
    May/June 2016 IVF   6/1 ER 7 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized via ICSI  6 embryos made it to blasts.
    6/6 2 AA embryos transfered, 4 BBs frozen
    Beta 6/18  -- BFN
    FET #1 August 22 BFN
    Dec 2016/Jan 2017 Round 2 was a bust. 6 eggs, Only 1 embryo made it, no transfer
    FET #2 cancelled 10/17 due to uterine polyps. Postponed until 9/2018 due to hip replacement.

FET #3 9/11/18 Uterine scratch and antihistamine protocol/lovenox done this time. 2 AA hatching blasts put in.  BFP 9/20/18!! 

• Options
    Welcome! I am in a similar situation, just starting IVF number 3. My first one was cancelled for 2 lead follies and the second I only got 2 eggs and 1 embryo. Definitely hoping third time is the charm but it's hard to be as hopeful after 2 failures, plus I have DOR. If this doesn't work, we will be likely moving on to donor eggs. I really hope having a sperm retrieval will give you the better quality!! Good luck!
    History in Spoiler

Age: 32 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- DE FET #1 on 12/8 on 2 perfect blasts- BFN and devastated
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Apr 2018- DE FET cancelled for lining issues :(
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
    Baby Born born early @ 33.5 weeks due to Pre-e
    Back for # 2!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good luck! There was a thread on here "not my first IVF rodeo" that had a bunch of us on it who have been through multiple cycles/transfers. I've had one retrieval but have done three frozen transfers so far (with one canceled so a total of four I guess). It's hard to see others come and go on various threads even though it's great they find success. 

2017 WILL be our year!!
  • Options
    Gl you have a lot of fortitude! Welcome!
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • Options
    Motility doesn't matter so much with IVF especially if you're doing IVF with ICSI. My biggest concern is your low egg count at retrieval. The lowest really should be 4 eggs at retrieval so you should talk to your RE about a poor responder protocol like Microdose Lupron or antagonist. Birth control is also very suppressive for follicle growth so ask your RE about not putting you on BC but working with your natural cycle. 

@JamieH2000 and I are both poor responders and have been through multiple cycles and so we know about trying different protocols to increase our chances for more eggs at retrieval to optimize the chances for fertilized embryos.
    Me: 37 / Hubs: 42
    TTC: April 2013
    DOR: AMH .3 - 1.31 (it varies); FSH: 5.1
    Clinic NMCSD
    IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
    IVF #1 Sep/Oct Microdose Lupron Protocol - IVF cancelled only 1 follicle
    IVF #2 Feb/Mar Antagonist protocol w/estrogen priming - 0 eggs retrieved (empty follicle syndrome) 
    Donor Egg Cycle as soon as we find a match
  • Options
    @mandasand and @JamieH2000 what do u consider a poor response? I had 8 eggs. Only 2 mad to blast. No idea if they are normal even. What can I do assuming this cycle fails for me?
    Siggy Warning--------

iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
  • Options
    @rainbowwishes5 it is based on your AMH levels, which determines how many follicles you have. If you have low AMH then you're most likely a poor responder because you have diminished ovarian reserve. The two go hand in hand because it's often difficult to recruit a high number of follicles if you don't have many follicles left. Does that make sense? There are not many protocols for DOR, basically Lupron and antagonist. Studies have been showing using an HGH (human growth hormone) is helpful but this is a very expensive protocol so many REs don't go that route unless your unsuccessful with other protocols. 

Based on your numbers I would would say your not really a poor responder. 8 is on the lower side but I think it can easily be manipulated if you ask your RE to avoid putting your on BC because it can be very suppressive. When you did your baseline, how many follicles did they see?  Not all follicles grow with stimulation so it's more optimal to start with more follicles. My antra-follicle count usually starts with 5-8 total. My RE is hoping by doing estrogen priming I will recruit more follicles. Last cycle I had 8 and all but 1 disappeared in the end so I converted to IUI. 

Ive also done acupuncture before my cycles but I'm not sure it's done much to help me so I'm thinking about not doing that this round. I'm undecided. 
    Me: 37 / Hubs: 42
    TTC: April 2013
    DOR: AMH .3 - 1.31 (it varies); FSH: 5.1
    Clinic NMCSD
    IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
    IVF #1 Sep/Oct Microdose Lupron Protocol - IVF cancelled only 1 follicle
    IVF #2 Feb/Mar Antagonist protocol w/estrogen priming - 0 eggs retrieved (empty follicle syndrome) 
    Donor Egg Cycle as soon as we find a match
  • Options
    @mtpbadger- love your attitude :) 2017 will be our year!! Following your FET journey and I really hope this transfer is the THE one!!

@rainbowwishes5- sometimes it just takes a few round to figure out the best protocol, even for ppl who aren't poor responders unfortunately. If your numbers (AMH, fsh, AFC) aren't bad, then it's probably just a matter of being more aggressive with the meds or protocol.  I think 2 embryos out of 8 eggs is pretty decent, since you can expect some attrition with each step. I saw one of your other threads and I personally think you were smart to cancel pgs if you only have 2. I would save that money in case you need to try again. Pgs is ideal if you have more than 2 transfers worth of embryos since it can save you time and money with transferring the best ones first.
    History in Spoiler

Age: 32 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- DE FET #1 on 12/8 on 2 perfect blasts- BFN and devastated
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Apr 2018- DE FET cancelled for lining issues :(
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
    Baby Born born early @ 33.5 weeks due to Pre-e
    Back for # 2!
  • Options
    @mandasand no BC ever here so that's not a cause. Usually I start with 0-2 follicals baseline. And I asked what to do different next cycle and they said that since my estrogen levels rose nicely they wouldn't change anything. ? Ugh. 
    @JamieH2000 thx for the encouragement abt PGS. Bc I question it ALL THE TIME because I'm transferring in a little over 2 weeks and maybe they are just both abnormal. Maybe this is all a big waste of time and money?
    Siggy Warning--------

iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
  • Options
    @Msymmers922 Hi.... on cycle number 5.
    Theres stats out there saying that the number of live births in IVF get to a pretty high percentage after 3 cycles. The thought is some succeed on cycle one and further cycles add more chances of success, so more cycles mean more successes. 
    Anyway, hopefully it's your cycle this time.
  • Options
    @mandasand I switched up protocols last cycle (from antagonist to microdose lupron with estrogen priming) and got 4 embies for freezing. Doing another cycle now to get more in the freezer as well as hoping for a fresh transfer... changing protocols seemed to really help! I second the switching protocol advice!
  • Options
    Wow glad to see I am not alone!  It's not particularly just motility but that the sperm just aren't strong enough. We have done ICSI both times. The first sperm count was only 6.  Yes just 6. Now we are up to six million!  But they don't make embryos and when we do get the few embryos they don't grow past day 3. Has anyone heard of this?  So now we are changing things up by doing the sperm retrieval. Hopefully it will work. if it doesn't we are talking about using donor sperm. 

I am lucky to respond the medications very well. We had 16 eggs the first time and 22 the second time.