Trouble TTC

Total Fertilization Failure in IVF ICSI

hey all,

my husband and I just completed our first round of IVF with ICSI. I responded really well to meds, the process was relatively painless, so we'd been feeling really optimistic. 

on ER day, 9 eggs were retrieved and all were mature; sperm looked good; and again we were feeling really optimistic after we left the clinic.

The next morning we got the devastating call from the clinic with news that not one egg had fertilized. 

Has anyone gone through this? Our doctor said everything looked good and they couldn't come up with any reason why this could have happened. Does this mean this will happen every IVF for us?

thank you ❤️
hopeless

Re: Total Fertilization Failure in IVF ICSI

• Did they do any genetic testing prior to retrieval? I am a nurse and I worked in the molecular/genetics research arena before becoming a nurse and my concern would be that you and your husband have some kind of genetic issue at work here. But, I am by no means qualified to offer any advice since I'm not an embryologist. 

This is actually my concern with my SO and I starting IVF, I ovulate every month, his sperm are fine, we have even done IUI to get sperm to egg....so my guess is that something goes awry when sperm and egg meet. 

Either way, I'm so sorry this has happened. You may find more women with similar experiences on the Infertility board. I've learned a lot from them about IVF (and failed IVF), I'm not sure if many ladies on this board have gone as far as IVF yet. (Some have, but many are doing meds, IU,I or are in testing still). 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi @hellobabyLC, welcome. 

I see you've posted in TTGP too, and also that a few people have already advised you to see if there's someone who can relate on the IF board. 

Just wanted to say, I'm so sorry. That really is devastating. Wishing you lots of good things to come.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you all! Im new to The Bump and still learning the app and which board is which :)