Infertility

Intro - New to this and IVF

My name is Erin and we've been TTC for almost 3 years. We've been completely unsuccessful with every month bringing the same disappointing news.  We are trying IVF this cycle for the first time and today was our transfer day.  We transferred 2 blastocysts.  
I'm nervous that I'm getting my hopes up.  I'm almost scared to get too excited for the first blood test in 10 days.  Any advice for me to keep my hopes realistic? 

Re: Intro - New to this and IVF

• How did your embryos look before transfer? 
  • @EMZ1023 its such a fine line to walk between being hopeful and protecting your heart.  I admit I have not found the balance as I swing from convinced my dreams are coming true to believing this whole fertility think in a money making sham.  Though I can't avoid my thoughts what does help me is trying to stay insanely busy.  Like list of projects from dusk to dawn busy.  Social engagements every night busy, and ordering organizers to give your kitchen pantry a makeover busy. 

Also (and this may not be a popular opinion) let yourself dream a little.  I have had very little joy in my fertility journey and the shimmers of hope and excitement in the 2WW are sometimes fleeting but a little break from the sadness.  And lets face it pretty much everyone on this board could use a break!
    Me:38 DW:33 
    TTC History in Spoiler ***Trigger Warning*** Losses/Child Mentioned 
    Dx: My wife has no sperm  :D and apparently my embryos aren't as good as they look

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
     * July IUI#3 - CP  :'(
     * Sept IVF#1 - 4 Retrieved & Mature, 4 Blasts.  Fresh Transfer 1  - CP  :'(
     * November FET #1 - Transferred 1 Blast - CP  :'(
    2017 Switched REs - Recurrent loss testing for me - all normal, remaining 2 frosties sent for PGS - both abnormal
     * April/May IVF#2:  9 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 7 blasts!  Sent for testing - 2PGS Normals (0 remaining)
     * November IVF #3 12R, 8M, 6F, 4 blasts! - All 4 PGS normal!
     * November FET# 2 (Transfer a PGS normal from IVF#2) - BFP!!!
    2018 DD born 8/20/18
    2019 5PGS frosties ( 4 remaining)
      * September FET#3 (1PGS normal) - Beta#1: 139.7  Beta#2: 322.6

• Loading the player...
  • @EMZ1023 .. welcome even though none of us wanted to actually ever be here! I understand exactly how you feel.  it is  best to just take care of your mind and body during the next week or2. my best advice is to have realistic expectations, that it might not work the 1st time,  everyone is different!!! you never know!!!! how did the embryo grading go, did they tell you? how many cells were in each blast ? how was your lining? i am on attempt #4. first 3 proved to be duds .  I remain totally optimistic .  I hope you can find some solace in the fact that your not in this alone! 
  • @EMZ1023 - it's totally natural to get your hopes up. It's just so hard. You really want to stay positive and optimistic (the mind is a powerful thing) but at the same time we are so inclined to protect our hearts and prepare for the worst. I can tell you no matter what I have "prepared" myself for in the past, hope was always in the background. So enjoy being pupo (pregnant until proven otherwise) if you can and find ways to distract yourself during the wait. Try to stay away from google, and DEFINITELY try to avoid symptom spotting.. being on meds messes with our bodies and minds. Easier said then done. Wishing you a quick wait, and excellent news at the end of it ;) xx <3
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011
    Me: 32, DH: 32
    Diagnosis: Endometriosis

• 2012 - 3 Rounds clomid - all BFN
    • 2013 - 1 Fresh IVF with 2 day 3 embryos - BFN
    • 2014 - 1 Frozen IVF with 2 day 5 embryos - BFN
    • Took a long break, continuing trying naturally
    • Feb 2016 - Biopsy = Endo, DH sperm improved from 1% to 6% morphology
    • March 2016 - Fresh IVF cycle with acupuncture & intralipids: 20 eggs retrieved (17 mature), 7 ICSI'd fertilized, 9 naturally fertilized. 16 total embryos!
    • April 8th - 2 embryos (1ICSI and 1 Natural) transferred. (7 blastocysts frozen), April 18th - Beta = BFN
    • Sept 23rd - Lupron Depot Injection for Endo control
    • Nov 15th 2016 - Started daily Lupron Injections for upcoming FET
    • Nov 22 - Baseline US/BW - Intralipid Infusion - Start Meds for FET with immune protocol
    • Dec 16th FET transfer of 3 embryos (1 - AA, 2 - BB)
    • TW below
    • Dec 22nd - first ever bfp (very faint lines FRER & cheapie)
    • Dec 27th Beta = 192, Dec 29th Beta = 379
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    I'm a YouTube vlogger who talks about Infertility, IVF and Endometriosis. Check it out here!
    Follow along at http://liv4today.blog
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• How did your embryos look before transfer? 
    1st was a grade 1 blastocyst and the 2nd was an early blastocyst grade 1 .  I'm going to google that. Hopefully that's ok
  • @emz1023 those are great grades! I mean you can still fail with good embryos but you have a good chance too! How long until your beta? It's so hard to wait and not know but unfortunately that's all you can really do. The other girls gave great advice!
  • I agree that everyone gave great advice ! I purposely over planned my day today and it helped :-)   it's such a hard time because we have had good numbers before without success but we have never had embryos before. I don't think I can cross my fingers any harder lol !