February 2017 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms (12/5)

Re: Weekly Randoms (12/5)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I forgot to move the elf on the shelf Saturday night, and that morning our 6 and 9 year olds cried. But they weren't really on their best behavior the day before, so I said that the elf wanted to give them one more day to be good before he reported back to Santa. They were saints yesterday, so I WIN!
    I don't really understand elf on a shelf... does the elf only move if the kids are being "good" lol we never did elf on a shelf growing up and I only heard about it a couple years ago. I just thought it was kind of a fun hide and seek game where the elf moves during the night, and the kids look for him the next day?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kswiger06 said:
    I forgot to move the elf on the shelf Saturday night, and that morning our 6 and 9 year olds cried. But they weren't really on their best behavior the day before, so I said that the elf wanted to give them one more day to be good before he reported back to Santa. They were saints yesterday, so I WIN!
    I don't really understand elf on a shelf... does the elf only move if the kids are being "good" lol we never did elf on a shelf growing up and I only heard about it a couple years ago. I just thought it was kind of a fun hide and seek game where the elf moves during the night, and the kids look for him the next day?
    The Elf watches them, and then he flies back to Santa at night. So he reports on whether they're being good or bad, and then returns to a new spot in the house. I really don't do the whole "the Elf (or Santa) is watching you so you need to be good thing"... it was really just a good excuse for my forgetfulness ;)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @Starfish113 lol I see  :) 

I have tried telling my kids they need to be good because Santa is watching, and if they are bad, they won't get presents... my daughter just asked "where is he?" Lol like she just wanted to see him, she didn't even care about the whole being good part haha sooo I don't try to threaten that either... it worked on me when I was a kid though!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think elf on the shelf is super cute. I can't wait to get one. I won't do anything fancy though, just move it from place to place and let the kiddo name it.

Opinion poll: is it sketchy to give a Christmas gift that is a very high quality item but also a factory "second"? MIL was crazy for our All Clad cookware at Thanksgiving, and we'd like to get her a nice piece for Christmas. They have a seconds sale coming up Thursday, which would really increase the size and/or amount of stuff we could get her, but, it would be a "second." My guess is that their seconds are probably just a little scratched up. Thoughts?
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 I've never heard of that before! 
  • Options
    I've decided that Google is evil...  When I called my mom to tell her when my ultrasound appointment is tomorrow, she mentioned that excessive amniotic fluid is common in our family.  Then I decided to check it out with Dr. Google.  Am now horrified and just want to get through today so my ultrasound can happen.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have to make an appetizer for my neighborhood Xmas potluck. I only make desserts. Help me. 
  • Options
    I have to make an appetizer for my neighborhood Xmas potluck. I only make desserts. Help me. 
    Can you do a nice charcuterie plate? Buy some cheeses and meats and olives etc . No cooking ! 
  • Options
    ChaoticWolfChaoticWolf member
    edited December 2016
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • Options
    @PerraSucia I second meatballs or even cocktail wieners. Super simple and everyone always seems to love them. 
  • Options
    If it's super casual, DH has a good Crockpot Buffalo Chicken recipe.  You just dump stuff in the crock pot and let it sit.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @PerraSucia Your crockpot may be possessed.  ;) But, really, what did you try to make that turned out so badly?
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl it had been retired, so in the last 2 weeks we made our thanksgiving stuffing which was so dry we didn't eat it and some sort of stroganoff that just looked like vomit with curds. 
  • Options
    If you like shrimp cocktail. I like doing a plate smeared in cream cheese that you then top with a layer of cocktail sauce and mini shrimp.  Serve with crackers.  I think my description fails but very tasty.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've got the same problem with crockpots as @PerraSucia. I think out of all the years I've had it I made one dish that turned out just alright. I can't understand the magic. 
  • Options
    @foxrosy are you following legit recipes? 
  • Options
    @homemake I'm a legit recipe queen. 
  • Options
    @PerraSucia and @foxrosy I do not understand your crockpot problem!! I've only ever messed up stuff if I forgot about it for a long time.... that was no bueno.
  • Options
    foxrosy said:
    @homemake I'm a legit recipe queen. 
    That's so strange! I don't use my crockpot that often but recently I  made a sausage spinach and white bean soup that came out good and a jambalaya type dish I can give you the recipe for if you want to try again. I thought both came out like good solid dishes. 
  • Options
    I don't understand it either! My first ever crockpot meal was years ago when I used a recipe to make a whole chicken. Everything was pretty standard in terms of ingredients and seasoning. The taste was just gross! And since then there is always an issue with the taste or texture. The Thanksgiving before last I even decided to make collard greens (which I can do with my eyes closed on the stove) in the crockpot to save stove space, and I didn't like them. I'm glad to hear that someone else has a similar experience with them because I felt like it was just some strange curse I have. And I love to cook! 
  • Options
    I generally like my crockpot and have enjoyed the vast majority of recipes I've made in it. But I have to admit that even the dishes I enjoy still taste a little...crockpot-y. There's just some slow-cooker-ish characteristic I can't put my finger on. Might be a texture thing.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Options
     I think it's really tough to balance the right amount of liquid in the crock pot and if you don't it will dry out really bad or have that "crock pot" taste from being too steamed/mushy.
  • Options
    I have so many crock pot recipes I rely on!! But it has taken me years to figure out the exact amount of ingredients and how much time! I'm gone all day though so everything always cooks enough at least!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I love my crockpot but I don't do meat so that probably makes it easier. I use it primarily for veggie-based soups. H has had decent success with pulled pork, but I'm just too nervous about fire to leave it there when I'm not home so we don't end up using it for "set it and forget it" very much.
  • Options
     I think it's really tough to balance the right amount of liquid in the crock pot and if you don't it will dry out really bad or have that "crock pot" taste from being too steamed/mushy.
    This! I feel like there is usually a crockpot taste and texture. So it's the balance of liquid! That makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    We used to have a crockpot and got rid of it after really disliking everything it made. I think that we are very picky foodies though, and my husband enjoys cooking meals and didn't like just throwing everything in one pot, so there's that...
  • Options
    @PerraSucia I sent you a pm
    Pregnancy Ticker