Baby Names

Thoughts on our girl name

We are Team Green and had our girl name all tied up. A family member was potentially going to use our original girl name so MH and I talked about going with Charlie after his grandpa that passed away instead of our original name. I refuse to use Charlotte after Princess Kate named the new princess that and had we gone with Charlotte we would call her Charlie anyway. My question is, do you think Charlie is an ok stand alone name for a girl? Do you have any suggestions for other names that can have the nickname Charlie? 

Our other girl name is Avery and we may end up using that anyway (it's not very popular in our area). Which name do you prefer, Charlie or Avery? 

Thanks in advance! 

Re: Thoughts on our girl name

• Kittievr4Kittievr4 member
    edited December 2016
    It wouldn't be my choice, Charlie is a nn to me, not a full name. I do like it as a NN though. I like the idea of the PP of Charlize, gives you the option to use Charlie :)

Edit: Because I forgot to add that I also like the name Avery and I think it's unisex, as I've known kids both boys and girls with the name!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't use Charlie as a stand alone. Charlotte or Charlize I would use as a full name. However, I do love the name Avery. Avery is one of my fave girl names but DH doesn't like it so I can't use it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love Charlie as a nn but for me it's a no as a full name. I just feel like it could potentially look silly on a resume etc someday.  Love Charlize. Also Charlene, Charmaine, I did a google search and found Charlessa and Charissa - might be made up? 
  • I'd use Charlize and nickname Charlie.  These days with so many boy names on girls and nicknames as full names, a girl with the full name "Charlie" wouldn't be so strange, but I personally don't like it and would want my daughter to have the option of a feminine "real" name.

Is Charles/Charlie your potential boy name too? If you love it but don't love Charlize and think you will have more children, maybe use Avery for a girl and save Charles for a boy. 
  • Thank you ladies! I appreciate all of the responses. 

@mb0112, yes Charles is our boy name, nn Charlie. We may have one more so I've been thinking of waiting to use it as well. 

@bbiutmcph my name is actually Ashley. Avery is not something that is popular in our area, so although trendy and popular in other areas, I still feel comfortable with using it. Thanks for the comment! 

• Just say no to Charlie!
  • I do know a Charley.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My babysitters daughter is Charli after her grandpa and we all call her chuck as a NN. I love her name though. I think Charlie can be an either or name. 

• I prefer Avery. I also like the prior suggestions of Charliz!
    Me: 31  DH: 32      <3 DH since 12.2009       Married 08.2013       EDD 12.2017
  • Charlie as a stand alone, no. I think it can be cute, but agree with PP that she needs options to look professional later in life. 

You got some great suggestions
  • Charlie as a standalone is pretty terrible, imo. I love PPs suggestion of Charlize nn Charlie since you don't want Charlotte.

I don't love Avery either (and it was on my list for a looong time). It's time as a trend is passing and I think it will feel super dated by the time she is older. I get that you're saying that it's not popular in YOUR area, but you're assuming that you (and your child) will always live in the same place. I'm an Ashley who's parents chose my name because it was "unique" and no one in their small town used it. Fast forward a few years to when we moved somewhere else, and I was one of 5 Ashleys in my 4th grade class.
  • I don't like Charlie on a girl to begin with, but even if I did, I think it is way too juvenile and cutesy to be a legal name. 
    I would just go with Avery.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I'm in the minority here but I love Avery on a girl... maybe because it's the name of my all time favorite student
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I love Charlie and Avery for a little girl! It won't happen (because we won't have enough children) but Charlie is our 2nd place girl name. 
  • I personally love Charlie as a first name for a girl. We have chosen Avery for our baby, regardless of gender, so I love that name, too! :) I hope you find a name you love that you both agree on!
  • I love Charles nn Charlie for a boy, but not Charlie a girl. I'm not 100% against unisex names, but Charlie just isn't unisex. Too many people are using it for Charlotte, too, so it doesn't even seem original anymore. I like Avery much better.
  • I prefer Avery and Charlie for a girl is definitely a nn to me. 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• I actually love Avery on a girl and have only known female Avery's IRL.

I think that Charlie is too much of a nn to be a given name on a boy or a girl.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I love the name Avery! One of my favorite girls' names actually. I like Charlize as well, but am not a fan of Charlie for a name. Just my two cents :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I much prefer Avery. Charlie as a given name is NMS.

• We used Charlie as a stand alone name for our son and have never regretted it. I personally didn't love Charles. Having said that I don't love Charlie on a girl. Not because I don't  want my son to share his name with girls but it's just such a classic old fashioned mans name to me.Avery is really nice though!
  • I'm always in favor of giving a child a proper name and then just using nns.  Charlie is a cute nn, but I'd go with Charlotte/Charlize/Carlotta instead.  Avery is nice.  I prefer it on boys, but I think it is nice for girls too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• I know three little girl Charlies - cute!  One is spelled Charleigh so it looks more like a girl specific name.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't think Charlie is a good stand alone name. Of the two, I would go with Avery although that isn't my style either. Have you considered Audrey?
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Can you imagine calling a 44 year old grown woman Charlie? Sounds so odd to me. Haha
  • 4N6s said:
    Can you imagine calling a 44 year old grown woman Charlie? Sounds so odd to me. Haha
    I agree but I think it's generational. At some point the names that we think are old fashioned or grown up were new and trendy too and those people probably couldn't picture grown up Emma's, Audreys or Trudys but they grew up and are now old lady's. I'm just saying I think we only can't picture it because when it's a new trend they simply aren't any grown ups with the name yet.