Infertility

New to the Boards (losses mentioned)

Hi Everyone,  

My wife and I began the process of trying to conceive a little over a year ago.  I’m 35 and my initial labs came back in the low side but within the normal range.   Everything looked promising and we thought after picking our donor the getting pregnant part wouldn’t be more than a couple doctors visits.  Ha!  What a fool I was.  At the start of my monitoring for my first cycle a large cyst was found.  It sidelined us for a couple months and was fortunate that it resolved on it’s own.  However my gyn said it was likely an endometrial cyst so it is possible I may have some uterine endometriosis issues as well though nothing definitive.  

We started out with IUIs

• Mar ‘16 IUI#1- Clomid, 2 follicles, inseminations at 16h &36h - BFN
  • May ’16 IUI#2 -Clomid, 1 follicle, inseminations at 16h & 36h - BFN
  • June 16’ IUI#3 - Clomid, 2 follicles, insemination at 16h - BFN

We met with our RE who recommended going on to IVF after a third failed IUI.  I was so excited to get started.  It seemed the stories of successful IUI’s were few and far between but I knew so many people who have had success with IVF we went in with renewed hope.

I was lucky in that the stimulation wasn’t so hard on my but I was not so lucky with the outcomes.  We had 13 great follicles going into the retrieval.  However from those follicles we only got two broken eggs, and 4 mature ones.  The rest of the eggs in the other follicles remain a mystery to me.  My RE says a broken (or fragile) egg is rare and two is very odd….greeeaaat.  Basically it could mean my eggs are crummy or that they just really didn’t like the stimulation protocol.  If we were to redo IVF he said we would do something different for stimulation.  

Of my 4 mature eggs all 4 fertilized with ICSI and made it to blast.  I thought this was a miracle my RE thought it was a sign that some of those blasts were also likely to be crummy.  He was right :/  

• Aug/Sept IVF #1 - Fresh transfer of 1AA blast, froze 3(AB, AB, Bb) - Chemical Pregnancy :(
  • Oct/Nov FET - Transferred 1 AB blast - Chemical Pregnancy :(
  • Dec/Jan FET - Scheduled for Jan 20th (transferring the remaining two)

The Chemical Pregnancies have hit me really hard.  When I had my positive this last month I thought there was no way this could happen to me again.  No way two times in a row.  When I found out it was another Chemical pregnancy it was/is heartbreaking.  My normal uber productive self just wants to hide in bed and feel sorry for myself.  Getting answers from my RE is hard and in all honestly I really don't like him.  I always get that I just want your money vibe.  The clinic in general lacks any kind of compassion and have made comments that are insensitive and borderline offensive.    When I got my frozen transfer schedule in my email I just tensed up at the thought of going back in to that clinic.  I’m decided to seek out some other options for care and scheduled to get a second opinion consult at another clinic.  I may cancel my January transfer to take a breather and see if another clinic might make this experience less stressful.  Please let me know if you have any RE recommendations for the Chicagoland 

I have two real life friends that have recently moved on from their TTC journey so I’m feeling a little extra isolated when this journey is getting the hardest for me.  I have been lurking on the boards and am encouraged by all the support you give each other and I’m looking forward to being part of the community.  I wish you all the best of luck! 

Me:38 DW:33 
TTC History in Spoiler ***Trigger Warning*** Losses/Child Mentioned 
Dx: My wife has no sperm  :D and apparently my embryos aren't as good as they look

* April IUI#1 - BFN
 * June IUI#2 - BFN
 * July IUI#3 - CP  :'(
 * Sept IVF#1 - 4 Retrieved & Mature, 4 Blasts.  Fresh Transfer 1  - CP  :'(
 * November FET #1 - Transferred 1 Blast - CP  :'(
2017 Switched REs - Recurrent loss testing for me - all normal, remaining 2 frosties sent for PGS - both abnormal
 * April/May IVF#2:  9 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 7 blasts!  Sent for testing - 2PGS Normals (0 remaining)
 * November IVF #3 12R, 8M, 6F, 4 blasts! - All 4 PGS normal!
 * November FET# 2 (Transfer a PGS normal from IVF#2) - BFP!!!
2018 DD born 8/20/18
2019 5PGS frosties ( 4 remaining)
  * September FET#3 (1PGS normal) - Beta#1: 139.7  Beta#2: 322.6

Re: New to the Boards (losses mentioned)

• Firstly I am so sorry. Others here have had losses too. So we get it. Hugs. But, have no recs for Chicago- or info on IVF. I'm still at IUI #2 stage. Taking a break sounds like a good idea? But also understand the wanting to push through. In any event, welcome!
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • Thanks @rainbowwishes5.  I hate that anyone has to go through any kind of loss but it is nice to know that I'm not the only one.  Right now I'm on a month of birth control so I don't really have to make the call to go ahead with the transfer until late December so I'm just going to kinda try and see how I feel and make the call then.  hopefully my emotional reserves can fill up by then.  Thank you for the kind words.
    Dx: My wife has no sperm  :D and apparently my embryos aren't as good as they look

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
    2017 Switched REs - Recurrent loss testing for me - all normal, remaining 2 frosties sent for PGS - both abnormal
     * April/May IVF#2:  9 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 7 blasts!  Sent for testing - 2PGS Normals (0 remaining)
    2018 DD born 8/20/18

• Loading the player...
  • Hi! Welcome but sorry you are here with us :( I actually live in the area, SE Wisconsin. I have now talked with 5 REs in the mke, Chicago and Madison area so I would be happy to share my opinions if you wanted them. Feel free to message me! I am actually in the middle of deciding between two right now and they are both amazing! I wasn't pleased with my last clinic and I'm so glad I am getting more opinions and options.
    History in Spoiler

Age: 32 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- DE FET #1 on 12/8 on 2 perfect blasts- BFN and devastated
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Apr 2018- DE FET cancelled for lining issues :(
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
    Baby Born born early @ 33.5 weeks due to Pre-e
    Back for # 2!
  • I am so sorry to hear what you have been through. I've had several chemical pregnancies as well (I hate that term. It makes it sound so cold and clinical) and dealing with them is just brutal. I'm currently taking a break, not necessarily by choice, but I'm using it as a reset and take time to grieve, heal, and get my mind in a better, more positive space. There are still good and bad days though. 

I dont have any any recommendations for clinics in your area but I say if you aren't comfortable, check out some others. This process is hard enough, you don't need any added stress with feeling your clinic doesn't have your best interest in mind. 

Just know you aren't alone. This board has been such a wonderful support and great sounding board for new ideas and various treatments which can spark some ideas. 
  • Thanks @JamieH2000 I'm totally going to message you for those clinic yays and nays!

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
    2018 DD born 8/20/18

• @mtpbadger thank you for the kind words.  I agree chemical pregnancy is a horrid term.  When I first heard it I thought it was some kind of error with the pregnancy like false positive pregnancy test.  I wish they would just call it a what it is a very early miscarriage.  With my first one I felt so bad about being so sad about it.  I really only thought i was pregnant for a couple days after the second beta.  I wish I was better prepared knowing that my first low beta was as dire as it was.  The second time when the beta got low I never got my hopes up but it was just as devastating even though it was in a slightly different way.  I hope your grieving process is a healing one and soon your good days outnumber the bad.  (hugs).  

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
    2018 DD born 8/20/18

• edited December 2016
    @2MomsHoping so sorry you find yourself here but the board is a great support system.  I'm so sorry to hear about your losses and I hope you can find some comfort and support on the boards.   Good luck with shopping for a new RE, I don't blame you for wanting to look after hearing what your experiences have been so far.  This process is stressful enough without a terrible RE.  

Me 36 DH 34 - Married May 2010
    DX: PCOS/Unexplained Infertility/MTHFR Mutation
    TTC since December 2014
    Fresh Transfer: Gonal, Menopur, Cetrotide. ~ Chemical Pregnancy :(  
    FET #1: 1st Beta- 3,792~ 2nd Beta- 4,227~ BFP ~ Miscarriage at 8 weeks :( 
    FET #2: 1st Beta 207~2nd Beta 235~ BFP~ Miscarriage at 6 weeks :(
    FET #3: 1st Beta 18~ 2nd Beta 44~BFP~ Miscarriage 5 weeks :(
    FET #4: 1st Beta 50~ 2nd Beta 97.7~ Miscarriage 6 weeks 5 days :(
    FET#5: 1st Beta 29~ 2nd Beta 109~ 3rd Beta 227~ 4th Beta 661~ Miscarriage 5 weeks 3 days 
    Miracle Natural BFP Estimated Due Date June 2019~ God is good 
    2 snow babies 

• Thanks @Worldtravler0522 I know good ones are out there I'm glad I'm taking the leap to seek someone new out.

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
    2018 DD born 8/20/18