May 2017 Moms

Braxton Hicks contractions

Does anyone remember / know when is the earliest one might get braxton hicks contractions? I got them with previous pregnancies a lot (but never had any signs of preterm labor and delivered on time-ish). I could have sworn I've felt a couple of contractions this past week. It just seems so early. I'm only 16 weeks. I've just felt what seems like tightening for 10ish seconds at a time, about once a day. It's mild and definitely not painful. I have no inclination to call the doctor (though should I?!) But it does seem early and from a quick web search it looks like you can expect them 20 weeks on. FWIW, I am likely a bit dehydrated, which I know is a huge contributing factor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Braxton Hicks contractions

• edited November 2016
    I don't know much about gestational age and how early you can get them. But the few things I've been told is that yes, dehydration definitely has a huge impact. Also, "real" contractions tend to be 30-60seconds long, so if your contractions are shorter or longer, they're *probably* BH and not true contractions. 
    ETA: My WHNP Preceptor always says 5-6 in an hour is too many if you've drank some water and laid down. 
  • I don't know much about gestational age and how early you can get them. But the few things I've been told is that yes, dehydration definitely has a huge impact. Also, "real" contractions tend to be 30-60seconds long, so if your contractions are shorter or longer, they're *probably* BH and not true contractions. 
    ETA: My WHNP Preceptor always says 5-6 in an hour is too many if you've drank some water and laid down. 
    Oh yeah I'm sure these are short and BH (if that, even!), definitely not "real" in any way. But I should still drink more. :)

• Loading the player...
  • I got them really early around 16-18 weeks (twins though) 

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I am pretty sure I had a few several days ago and it freaked me out. I can't remember when I had them with DD. From what I've read about them online, they usually don't start until after 20 weeks, so that wasn't very reassuring! I haven't had them again since that one day so I'm hoping it was a fluke.

I have my next check up on Tuesday next week so I'll definitely be mentioning it to the OBGYN.
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • I have felt them super early in this pregnancy.  It seems like I get one at the slightest thing.  W/ DD, I'd have one every time the Dr measured my stomach.  Like last time, I get them from tight waistbands and really anything slightly bumping my stomach housing baby area. I had to be induced at almost 41 wks with DD so it wasn't early regular contractions. I plan to ask about it at my next appt.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • I've had them for a few weeks now, so starting around 12 weeks.  I had them a lot last time regardless of whether I was hydrated or not.  I'm just prone to them, I guess.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• I had them last time from 16-17 weeks on, and didn't deliver until 41w1d. Started noticing them this time around the same GA (more like 17 wks). Nothing to stress about unless they become painful, make a pattern that lasts an hour or more, or are associated with other warning signs (leaking fluid, bleeding). 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Also remember that your uterus is regularly contracting and stretching.  It's very active, just most people will not notice until they are active labor contractions.  With my first I remember the midwife trying to listen to the HB on the dopplar and she kept having to wait because my uterus was contracting.  I had no clue, didn't feel a thing.  So you may catch it every now and then, but it's harmless until you REALLY start to notice and they get painful and timable.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• I had Braxton Hicks just about every day from a certain point with my last pregnancy and have started to feel them again already at 16w. I liked to think of it as my uterus getting super buff and ready for labour!
  • In my last pregnancy I didn't have any until late 20's/30's week wise. This time around I felt some at 16 weeks but it was during a run. Talked to my midwife and she mentioned they can happen because of dehydration or over doing it. But that unless they were happening several times within an hour it was nothing for me to worry about.