January 2017 Moms

Family Planning after Baby

I didn't want to highjack the tube tying thread, so I thought I'd make a different thread to discuss other options. 

What are your plans for birth control/ family planning after baby?

Second time moms, are you doing anything differently this time around, any recommendations? 

What other factors influenced your choice? (I.e., breastfeeding, side effects, ease of use, religion, # of additional kids wanted, spacing between, etc)

Most of the moms in my family are Catholic and their answer is "nothing," so I'm hoping the BMB might have a variety of experience.  :D

-

I don't know what everyone else's experience has been, but I can't really get a recommendation from my OB. He's great about answering questions and told me my breastfeeding friendly options, but basically says "these are your options, they're all good options, it's a personal choice, I can't tell you which is best." 

I haven't taken any in 6 years, I just tracked my cycle. And with two planned pregnancies in that time it worked and I didn't have to deal with the horrible mood side effects I get with the pill. But with a newborn, an oopsie pregnancy would be a much bigger deal! I'm leaning towards nexplanon or an IUD. The whole uterine rupture side effect of an IUD just scares me. 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Family Planning after Baby

• DH is getting a vasectomy or I'll have my tubes tied if I need a section.  We used charting and temping for years with a lot of success both for preventing and conceiving.  However, with a 2 year old and a 6 month old who still woke frequently it was really tough to get accurate measurements and stay consistent the way I was previously.  Hence the whole 2 kids under 1.5 years old and a young 3 year old thing.  Something to keep in mind if anyone is planning to go that route.  

I have a blood clotting disorder so my OB prefers that I not use hormonal BC though she would prescribe if I chose to use it. We plan to just use condoms for the few weeks that we are waiting for DH's procedure. 
  • I have reached zero decisions on this topic so I am following this post! Ditto in the IUD concerns. The whole idea of an IUD (while probably the most practical and hassle-free choice for me) turns me off... I also cannot use any form of BC containing estrogen which stinks because I LOVED nuva-ring. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We will be going the vasectomy route.  Historically we've used condoms, which have worked just fine and been cheap and easy, but we are 100% done after this baby, so looking into something more permanent.  I'm not opposed to having  my tubes tied if that was the only option, but I figure that I will have undergone two pregnancies and labors, he can endure a little bit of discomfort. 

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • canavaracanavara member
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for starting this thread! My OB  was really pressing hard on IUD and initially I was very on the fence about it. Not to turn this into a political thread, but knowing that there is some chance that healthcare coverage for birth control may very likely change come January due to the fact that it may no longer fall in the category of "preventive health care," it's made decision-making a very difficult process!

We want a second child probably and at 32, I feel like I'm old enough that I feel like we should probably get on that sooner than later, so I imagine we might just continue relying on fertility awareness as a birth control technique (temp charting, OPKs, cervical mucus, and using condoms if we do have sex during the fertile window or abstaining during that time altogether) in combination with the fact that breastfeeding helps a little bit in the process. It took us 4 months of actively trying using FAM so I'm kind of curious to see how FAM will work for us in avoiding :)

ETA: I've also been really "iffy" about going back on the hormonal birth control pill. I conceived twins while on it last year and was taking it perfectly... every day, same exact time, never missed a day... always used a backup protection any time I ever had to take antibiotics... I know that makes me a statistical anomaly and that the odds of that happening again are close to nil, but that certainly was quite shocking information to receive back when we weren't trying to have kids at all!
  • Prior to this pregnancy, I was on the pill for 15 years. The few weeks I was off it (pre-pregnancy), I felt like a completely different person. The problem is that I started taking the pill because I was having extremely heavy, painful periods. I need to have this conversation with my OB but I honestly haven't even thought about it until now. Thanks for creating this thread! 
  • Good thread; thanks for starting. 

I was on hormonal birth control for over a decade before we started trying to conceive. Luckily, I had no issues getting pregnant right away after discontinuing the pill, but I have no interest in going back on it for a variety of reasons. I temped and charted for all three of my pregnancies (2 losses, and this pregnancy) and it worked amazingly well for us. I don't expect to have the same level of accuracy with a newborn, like others have mentioned, but I think I will still try it and we will use condoms as well.

I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves, but we do want to have more children, and I don't see us waiting that long (whatever that means) for a second based on age and our previous losses -- sort of pushed back our whole timetable already.

The idea of an IUD doesn't sit well with me right now. Not to sound like a broken record, but I've been poked, prodded, had surgeries, etc., and I feel like I just want to be left alone down there! I need a break. 
  • I'm leaning towards an IUD. I took BCP off and on for 4 years and didn't like how I felt so I went off it in 2013. I tracked my cycles for 2 years and we used condoms when necesary until we were ready to try for a baby and we never conceived until we wanted to. I have irregular cycles and tracking them was a pain and I don't want to to accidentally mess up by being distracted with a baby. The arm implant would be similar to having the BCP in terms of systemic delivery so I don't think I would like it. After it taking 2 years with 2 miscarriages I really need a break from all things fertility. I just turned 29 so I feel I can take 2 years or so before ttc again so I like the idea of an IUD. 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• I'm thinking of getting an IUD a couple of months post baby, but we haven't ruled out a vasectomy in the longrun. I was on Nuvaring for a few years and at the time loved it, but realized once I came off of it that it was messing with my sex drive and making me more susceptible to depressive spells. I don't think I can go back to it, even though it was insanely easy to use.

I told my mom I'm 99% sure I don't want to be pregnant again, and she thought I should just get my tubes tied (I would absolutely go the adoption route if we decided our family wasn't quite complete). But there are some risks and long term effects that can be involved with that procedure, so I'm not sure it's right for me. 

@canavara I have an acquaintance that went for her yearly checkup recently and her gyno was really pushing an IUD on her for exactly those reasons. She's so upset that she might need to make reproductive decisions now based on the uncertainty. 
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • sldp123sldp123 member
    edited November 2016
    I'm not really sure. I was leaning toward getting my tubes tied if I have a c/s, but I don't know if I'm 100% ready for the permanence of that. Although we agree right now that we are done after these twins, I just don't feel like I can make the decision to completely close the door within the next month or so.

It took 11 months of temping, charting, OPKs, and eventually Clomid, Ovidrel, and IUI for me to get pregnant, so this may be a non-issue anyway, but I don't want to risk it. I will probably go back on the pill until we figure it out. 

ETA: I may also go back to charting for a while, but I don't know how well that will work with two infants as pp said. 

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • I've been holding out on making any real decision on whether I feel done or not. My husband is certain he doesn't want any more after this one, and wants to get a vasectomy, which I'll support. I don't want to get my tubes tied though, just because it feels soooo permenant. But with two preeclampsia diagnosises, it may be unwise to go for a third. So I figure if I have to do the whole high risk pregnancies, he can get snipped. 
  • So we're thinking have trying for baby number 2 once this guy is about a year and a half. I was on the ring before, which I loved, but I'm not sure I want to go back on it. 

I'm thinking we'll just use condoms until we're ready for number 2. I don't think me or my husband would really be that upset if we got pregnant again earlier than we were expecting, so I don't know that I want to go through doing birth control again. 

After that my husband and I were thinking it would make the most sense for him to get a vasectomy.
  • Thanks for starting this thread! I've put zero thought into this, its interesting to read what you guys are going with.
  • Thank you for starting this - it's been on my mind a lot lately.  We have always used condoms effectively to prevent pregnancy.  I have always been scared of hormonal BC because of a history of hormone-related migraines so have never used it.  We are both in agreement that we are done after these two.  DH is getting a vasectomy next year since he has to have another procedure done as well.  I kind of want an additional level of protection though so I've been trying to figure out if we just want to continue with condoms or have me go on BC.  I've been thinking about an IUD but I'm not really sure about it since I've heard such mixed reviews.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is our second and Hubby is sure that he wants to be done after this so he wants to go the vasectomy route, but I'm not 100% so I haven't been pushing the subject. That being said, if we decided on going for a third, I wouldn't want to wait so I probably won't do anything until we decide for sure.

Before DD I was on the IUD for 6 years (not the copper one) and it worked wonderfully for me, though it did lessen my sex drive for sure. I'm terrible with pills so regular birth control was never a good option for me. I think once we're done we'll make Hubby an appointment to get snipped and go with that.

Also: it may sound weird, but I talked with my FIL about his vasectomy and he said it really wasn't bad, a couple days sitting around with frozen peas on his junk and he was no worse for wear. MIL had already been through 2 Csections with Hubby and BIL so they knew they were done. He definitely sounded all for it as a good option since it's so much less invasive than it is for women.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ashanne88 That is my exact dilemma. I'd like to stick with condoms until Im regular enough to just track my cycle and avoid hormonal BC entirely, but I feel like I need more protection now that we will actually have a baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was on the birth control implant (the one that goes in your arm forgot the technical name)for three years before TTC and looooved it. All going well we wouldn't plan on trying for baby two for around that amount of time so I think I'll get another one. Haven't discussed it with my doctor yet but I guess I'll get it when it makes sense after baby arrives. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm getting an IUD until I can emotionally commit to getting my tubes tied. We are definitely done with babies but I don't want to make that permanent decision while I'm pregnant and all hormonal.
    DD1: EDD 12/21/11 - Born 11/24/11 at 36w1d
    DD2: EDD 1/16/17 - Born 1/12/17 at 39w3d
  • After DS, I decided I was done with hormonal BC, which I had been on for YEARS. I went with Paraguard, the copper, non-hormonal, IUD. I loved it. Installation (ha ha...sounds like I'm getting new cable) was quick and painless. I played Angry Birds while he did it. I had it for 3 years and didn't have any side effects and loved not having any added hormones (I was still BF'ing DS) and didn't have to remember to take or do anything.

When we decided to try to Baby #2,  it was removed rather easily and I got pregnant the next month. I lost that one, but it had nothing to do with the IUD, it was a genetic issue. 

If DH wasn't getting neutered I'd do it again. But remember, everyone is different. Everyone reacts to something differently. Get something, try it, if it doesn't work get something else. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • I decided to "roll the dice" after my first child. I was exclusively breastfeeding and ended up not getting pregnant until I started trying. My period returned immediately, however, so breastfeeding wasn't a great contraception option. 

After this baby, I plan on going on the mini-pill which is compatible with breastfeeding. I also will be monitoring signs of fertility. (CM mostly). I am hoping that the mini pill will even out my hormones, and prevent changes in my milk supply. This is my main reason for wanting to take it, as I've heard it isn't amazing at preventing pregnancy. 
  • Good idea! I had used BCPs for a couple of years before I went off of it 6 months before we were wanting to start trying.  I charted for those 6 months and never once had a scare. I do worry how charting and infant would work, so I am thinking condoms would be used until I feel comfortable. 

I get aura migraines, and while none of my doctor's seemed to care because I was on such a low dose of hormones, I couldn't help but worry when I was on a BCP.
  • I'm in the "nothing" camp. I breastfed until 6 months and weaned to get my period back to get pregnant when DD was 9 months. I plan to basically do the exact same thing this time. I know it's not exactly effective but it worked for us and we want kids close together so it didn't make much sense to go on a pill or get an IUD just to go back off. The resident in the hospital couldn't figure it out when I told him (although he wanted to talk BC while I was in active labor so clearly he wasn't the brightest)
  • canavara that's a good point about insurance. 
    I've been thinking a lot about this, too! This is our first and we do want more babies. We're nearly 30/33. But this pregnancy has been rough with anxiety and bedrest since 24 weeks, and I can't imagine getting pregnant in the near future. I want to work for at least a year before taking any more time off. That said, none of the bc methods seem overly appealing to me. Was on OCP for 13 years prior to TTC. I don't want to take them again due to annoying side effects, like weight gain. It doesn't seem worth it to get an IUD for only a year (or other more permanent forms of BC). Might just end up charting/ condoms, but I'm not sure how to start charting after a baby (since you can technically get pregnant before even getting your period back).
  • Yeah we are kind of thinking we want them close together too. Definitely scary, so I'm sure there will be some condom use, but no BC for me. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • What a great topic!!! It just seems like yesterday i was on TTC talking about getting pregnant now I'm talking with husband and provider about preventing. 
    This is our first child and if all goes well we do want more (total of 2 MAYBE 3). So something permanent isn't an option. For about a year before i got pregnant i was off BC and we used condoms around certain times off the month. I guess you could call it natural family planning. We got pregnant the very first month we "didn't prevent a pregnancy." so the natural family planning worked for us and i feel we will use that again knowing it isn't that reliable. Being especially careful our first year or so. 
    I need to go back and read more responses for other ideas. I would consider non-hormonal IUD but would want to talk to my MD about it. 
  • This is our first, and we want 4 kids, but we do want them fairly close in age. I hated being on birth control before and I only got off because after switching it still was not agreeing with my body. But it was still about 8 months before I got pregnant. I'll be breastfeeding so we're in the "nothing" camp, but I'm still scared. My SIL got pregnant only six months after her first.... and my mom got pregnant with me only 3 months after having my brother... lol I would like to wait at least a year.  But I don't want to risk starting BC and it taking another 8 months to get pregnant after stopping.  
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My midwife just brought this up today at our appt. She was really pushing the non-hormonal IUD. The only birth control I've taken is a low dose progesterone to help with severe cramps and heavy bleeding but I went off that like 5 years ago because I didn't like how it made me feel. AFter DD1 was born, we chose to continue with the fertility awareness method and use condoms when needed. My cycle didn't come back for 10 months due to exclusive breastfeeding and we started trying to conceive again 11 months post partum. It took 7 months of actively trying. My cycles were really wonky and due to nursing 2-3 times a night, my temps were all over the place. I used ovulation kits and checked mucus. We are pretty sure we want more kids and I don't want to add anything to my body that prolongs conceiving more than my own body does. 
  • I've had two Paraguards (copper IUD) and was on the NuvaRing for 3 months. I stopped the NuvaRing because it was making me nuts and we decided to start trying to get pregnant. I loved the Paraguard and will get one inserted at my 6 week check-up, or as soon as they'll do the insertion after delivery. We want one more (this is our first) and then my husband will get a vasectomy. I won't have it in for very long -- I'll be almost 34 when this LO comes, and I'd like to have the second 1.5-2.5 years afterwards -- but I still think it's worth it. We got pregnant almost immediately, so I'm a little cautious about going the natural family planning method. One thing to consider about the mixed reviews for IUDs -- they work best (especially the Paraguard) for women who have been pregnant before. I've heard/read (from ob/gyns) that some of the cramping/heavy period issues lessen if you've already been pregnant.

All in all, definitely recommend the IUD, especially if you want to avoid adding hormones. 
  • I'm not sure yet what if any bc we are going to use. After both my girls I had mirana  (iud), but I don't really like that I couldn't loose weight very easily. I know the pill wouldn't work for me because I'm not that great at taking it everyday at the same time. It took a while to get pregnant each time so not sure if I really need anything except to chart
  • Just a little cautionary note.  Not getting a period does not mean that you are not ovulating.  Even if you are BFing and haven't gotten a period does not mean that you won't or can't get pregnant.  
  • ElleMF728 said:
    Just a little cautionary note.  Not getting a period does not mean that you are not ovulating.  Even if you are BFing and haven't gotten a period does not mean that you won't or can't get pregnant.  
    Yep. We were careful even for the 10 months of no period.
  • This will be my second child. With DS1 I went on the mini pill which I truly believe made my milk supply dwindle even though they say it's pretty safe to BF with it. Since I was done BF at 2-3 months (thanks to milk drying up) I got the Depo shot. That was a mistake because I only did one round before we wanted a second child. Took us a year of trying after that. I believe it was because of the Depo. We won't be using any birth control this time around (just pull out method). I won't care/mind if we get pregnant again immediately or much later. We are OK with either scenario since it was so difficult to get pregnant this time. 
  • I never want to go back on hormonal birth control, I truly believe it had a part in my fertility issues as well as my PCOS so I want to stay away from it. Plus it made me feel pretty terrible. I plan to keep charting and doing NFP. An unplanned pregnancy wouldn't be a huge issue for us as we hope to have another child anyways, plus we both have fertility issues so we are already going to be working against them to get pregnant again anyways. 

I think once I am done having kids I will go on an IUD though, or my DH will get snipped!

• I am so nervous about the mini pill so I think until I decide what to do we will use condoms. I was on the depo shot for 4 years and had no bad side effects. I switched to the pill because my insurance changed coverage of depo. The pill makes me depressed and I am terrible at remembering it. dh and I need to have the "are we done having babies" talk, but I'm not ready to close the door yet...so I sit at the undecided table for now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Before getting pregnant with my first I had the Mirena put in. I had bleeding the whole 8 months I had it in, decreased sex drive and cramping. When they went to take it out it was implanted into the wall of my uterus. After having my first I went on the mini pill while breastfeeding. We decided it was time for another one and within two weeks of stopping the pill We conceived. This time around I have no idea which route I want to go. The pill did its job but I hated how it made me feel.
  • I plan to donate eggs again after I'm done breastfeeding, so whatever I chose, it would be temporary. Normally Id say IUD all the way, since I loved having it before, but they'd have to remove it anyway. 
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • I've been thinking of doing an ID because the pill has done nothing for me. I've been on 3 or 4 different ones, different doses and hormones and wound up sick with each constantly. I don't want to do the depo cause my mom had extreme complications with it and while I know it isn't hereditary or anything, I'm not taking the risk. I want something that still allows me to breastfeed though. My doctor hasn't even brought it up yet though and with the insurance issues, I may be forced to decide quickly too....

• When we found out we were pregnant with a January baby I jokingly said to DH that we should try for Irish Twins- now he keeps talking about trying again right away and I'm not entertaining the idea.  Unfortunately, between my thyroid and advancing age (I'll be 35 a month after giving birth and all the women on my mom's side enter menopause prior to 40) I do not want to take any hormonal BC.  I think we will probably go back to condoms- which we both hate so he may end up with his Irish Twins after all.

I will say I have been on most forms of BC at some point.  Both Depo and Merena caused me to not have a period once they were working- which I know freaks many women out- so it's something to consider.  I loved Depo.  I was on depo for pretty much my entire 20s.  This BC option will cause issues with calcium absorption though- and I had to stop taking it when my bone density test showed early signs of bone loss.  I was on the pill for about a year after until my hashimoto diagnosis.   When it comes the pill I agree with many of the previous posters that I am horrible at remembering to take it- plus I tend to be nauseous when taking the pill (probably because I skip doses and double up the next day).  I also need to increase my thyroid medication when on a HBC. I hated my IUD.  I started to get eye styes within a month of having it inserted.  After the 4th stye I saw a doctor who said I had to be allergic to something- the body is a weird thing and my body hated having a foreign object in my uterus so reacted with eye styes.  They stopped once I had it removed even though my OB at the time said they were not connected. I have also noticed a persistent eye twitch with this pregnancy and a few small eye styes- which I assume will stop after I give birth.  I know the eye stye thing is a weird anomaly, but if you get frequent UTI/ YIs this could increase with an IUD.  Something you may want to bring up with your doctor/ midwife. All BC options have their plus and negatives and will effect everyone differently.  Good luck finding a good fit for your needs.
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Thank you so much for starting this. 
    We have talked about this and I definitely do not want to take BCP again until I am done with wanting kids (this is our first). I was on the same pill for about 14 years and didn't ovulate until 10 months after stopping and that only happened with hormone intervention! I don't like the idea of hormones at all! 
    I'm really happy to see that most everyone has had a positive experience with the non hormonal IUD as that is my most logical choice though it does scare me a little. We thought condoms would be the choice but I'm just not a fan at all!
  • So I'm getting tubes tied after this one, but after previous pregnancies, here's what we did:
     we did nothing to prevent after DS1 I exclusively breastfed so I did not get a period until I started supplementing (1 bottlle a day) with formula CONSIDER THIS A WARNING!!!!! lol  I was pregnant 3 weeks later.  But that was what we had wanted.  To be clear  did not get a period at all.  NOTHING between DS! and 2, Hubby caught the first egg.  I took a pregnancy test bc I was out of breath, and found out I was pregnant.  
    After DS2 I went on the pill immediately (6 weeks pp) that was healthy to breast feed on bc my dr recommended I did not get pregnant again until a significant amount of time went by.  I got a period at around 7 or 8 months pp and stayed on that pill (mini pill maybe) until I stopped breast feeding and went to regular pill.  I got clearance from dr when ds 2 was 19 months old and went off the pill.  I got pregnant the next month.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We want a whole brood of children, very close in age, so I'm in the do nothing camp. We're planning on trying again starting in July. After we're finished with our gaggle of kids, H is going to get a vasectomy. I don't think I will ever be on hormonal birth control again. As someone with diagnosed OCD, I really think it really enhanced my symptoms sometimes, and I'd like to avoid that if I could. We'll see if it holds true after this one is born! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker