Infertility
Options

Removing Fallopian Tubes

porche123porche123 member
edited November 2016 in Infertility
Hi Everyone,

I joined The Bump for awhile but I have been lurking around from board to board. I recently did a HSG, the result was as follow: "No uterine filling defects identified. The proximal fallopian tubes are normal caliber with mild bilateral hydrosalpinx and distal loculations. Spill of contrast from the left fallopian tube with no definitive contrast spillage from the right Fallopian tube". I went to see my RE on Monday and he suggested that I should have both my tubes removed since the right one is block with hydrosalpinx and the left one has a little bit also. He said I should proceed to IVF once I get my tubes removed. I was very disappointed after hearing that but I am trying very hard to stay positive. Right now I'm just very scare and undecisive on rather or not I should have my tubes removed, knowing that if I removed my tubes, I will never ever be able to get pregnant naturally. My RE said even if I keep my left tube, the chance that I will be pregnant naturally will be super slim and most likely will result in miscarriage if I do. Wondering if anyone here have hydrosalpinx and did not removed their tubes and proceed with IVF? I'm not sure if I should consult a second opinion from another RE.

Thanks.

Re: Removing Fallopian Tubes

• Options
    Welcome. I am sorry you are here. If you are uncomfortable with your treatment options it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. From what I've read it's pretty common for a blocked tube to be removed before pursuing treatments. While it is possible to get pregnant naturally with one open tube and without removing the blocked tube, your odds of getting pregnant are much lower, and the risk of miscarriage is increased. I would be hesitant to spend the money on IVF without removing the blocked tube because of the increased miscarriage risk. 
  • Options
    @LadyMillil described everything so perfectly. So, ditto! And welcome here.
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @porche123 I completely understand, I had a hydrosalpinx on my right tube and had it and the tube removed In 2009. But my left tube was open  and my RE said that I had a really good chance of getting pregnant naturally with just one tube. Last year after of 8 years of trying another HSG showed my left tube is partially blocked, I had dye spillage but very little. I also have stage 4 endometriosis. We had already decided to do IVF when he my RE found my left tube partially blocked. I was devastated when I was told the only option was IVF. But my RE was willing to let us try naturally and then with medications and IUI with just one tube and bad endometriosis. He also told me what @LadyMillil said about the risks and recommended I have the right tube removed no matter what. He flushed my left tube out several times during an HSG and exploratory laparoscopy. A second opinion may be beneficial. IF and IF treatments are difficult no matter what the problem!!

TTC for 8 years.
    Started in 2008 with timed intercourse, ovulation testing, no official monitoring.
    OB-GYN recommended Clomid and timed intercourse, attempted for 6 straight months.
    First surgery June 2009 (OB-GYN): diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis and large hydrosalpinx on right tube.
    Second surgery (July 2009, RE performed this): Right tube had to be removed, lots of adhesions removed.
    Attempted "trying on our own" as per RE recommendations, unsuccessful 5-6 months.
    HSG performed December 2009: left tube open.
    February 2010: started Femara and timed intercourse, attempted 6 months, no BFPs.
    Took a break for a while.
    January 2011: started IUI process, ovaries never properly responded to medications, 6 failed attempts, never actually completed an IUI.
    Took 2012-2014 off due to depression and frustration (side note: did complete grad school to become a nurse practitioner- great distraction).
    2015: started seeing RE again, went through tons of testing and HSG, left tube now blocked, only option is IVF.
    September 2015: Started first official IVF cycle, cancelled in October due to large cyst on left ovary.
    October 2015: started on birth control for 2 months.
    December 2015: attempted to start another IVF cycle, cysts on both ovaries on initial ultrasound, left was huge, cancelled to aspirated cyst.
    January 2016: Cyst back, surgery for ex-lap, cyst and adhesions removed.
    March 2016: Attempted second IVF cycle, estrogen way too high, cyst back, cancelled again.
    April 2016: Third attempted IVF cycle, 7 eggs retrieved, 2 mature (but not great) embryos made to fresh transfer, neither implanted.
    May-Sept 2016: Break to regain sanity.
    Sept-Oct 2016: Attempted fourth IVF cycle, very successful, cyst still on left but we ignored. 7 mature "great looking" eggs retrieved, 4 mature embryos made it to day 5 transfer. Transfer aborted due to large amount of endometriosis fluid in uterus.
    FET of 2 embryos completed on 12/12/16.
    12/22/16 1st Beta 179 BFP!!!
    12/24/16 2nd Beta 449!!
    EDD 8/30/17 with two girls!!!!!

Audrey (4lb 8oz) and Olivia (6lb 6oz) born 8/10/17!!

• Options
    porche123porche123 member
    edited November 2016
    Thank you @LadyMillil, tiffanyw1783 for your replies. Definitely will seek a second opinion from another RE. I felt that if I have my tubes removed, there's no turning back and IVF is really my only option. But I know with hydrosalpinx, IUI will not even work. I am just hoping there's at least some other way, probably giving myself false hope. My RE wasn't pushy about having me remove my tubes right away and proceed to IVF but he did say that that's the BEST option. :'(