June 2016 Moms

What's everyone reading?

We haven't done one of these in a while, but is anyone finding any time to read with the new baby around?

Re: What's everyone reading?

• Currently I am reading "The memoirs of Cleopatra" by Margaret George, and I just finished "three sisters, three queens" by Philippa Gregory.
  • Well it is not exactly reading...but I listen to books on Audible during my commute to work. For the past 10 months or so I have been listening to the Outlander series.  My husband is convinced that once our little Tristan starts talking he will speak with a British or Scottish accent because I listened when I was pregnant and now when I get ready in the morning, etc.  He may be right, lol...Tristan does seem to stay calm when I am playing the book.  I am on book 7.  I like audible a lot because I can still experience the books, and it is relatively cheap.  I pay for two books a month at a cost of about $24.  So $12 a book.  For longer books I have seen a single recording cost anywhere from $30 - $65, so I see a definite cost savings.  I have a few options for once I am done with the Outlander series...I am trying to decide between something more serious like Slaughterhouse Five or possibly lighter with The Light Between Oceans.  I also have Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg, but I am not sure if I am ready for that or not.  I am always looking for suggestions so, I am very interested in what everyone else is reading.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm halfway through Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It's not as good as the rest of the series, so I'm struggling to pick it back up.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I'm notorious for buying books and then taking ages to finally pick them up to read. It drives my husband crazy since I have a crapton of unread books in our storage unit. 
  • meggyme said:
    I'm halfway through Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It's not as good as the rest of the series, so I'm struggling to pick it back up.
    I agree, I also did not like that it was in play form, I missed Harry Potter so much that I was excited to read it though.
  • Tawny87 said:
    meggyme said:
    I'm halfway through Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It's not as good as the rest of the series, so I'm struggling to pick it back up.
    I agree, I also did not like that it was in play form, I missed Harry Potter so much that I was excited to read it though.
    I know it's written for the stage, but I can't stand how over the top all the dialogue is. That and the characters are obviously not as well developed and kind of boring.
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited November 2016
    meggyme said:
    Tawny87 said:
    meggyme said:
    I know it's written for the stage, but I can't stand how over the top all the dialogue is. That and the characters are obviously not as well developed and kind of boring.
    Exactly! I wish it wasn't so short and I wanted to know more about the characters too.

ETA: I hear the play is like 5 hrs long. If it ever comes to Denver I am so there!
  • meggyme said:
    I was just thinking, have you ever read the casual vacancy. I really liked it.
  • I'm reading a series called a shade of vampire. It's totally teeny-bopper but they are cute.
  • Tawny87 said:
    meggyme said:
    I haven't. I got "the tales of needle the bard" and "fantastic beasts and where to find them" as baby shower gifts. I've been reading them to Jackie, but she doesn't find them as interesting as the picture books.
  • Tawny87 said:
    meggyme said:

I started that one but lost interest.  I have to just sit down and finish it cause I was never the type to switch books without finishing the previous.