1st Trimester

Brown discharge

I'm super paranoid so I have been analyzing toilet paper after wiping and yesterday I could swear I saw a brownish color so I confirmed this by checking with a clean q tip. I'm 6 weeks along today and the discharge is not any more than usual. Its just tinged with a very light shade of brown. More of a tan but still. I've already decided not to call my Dr. Because it's brown so it's old and not active and there isn't even enough to get on my underwear. I have no other concerning symptoms. So SHOULD I call or should I only call if it increases or turns red etc.?

Re: Brown discharge

• At this point you should be fine and I would also suggest not sticking q tips up there. But yes if it returns and is bright red and lasts for more than 24 hours then I would call. Lots of things can cause spotting and since you are still so early on the dr wouldn't be able to see much on an ultrasound anyway 
  • That's what I was thinking. Theyd probably just tell me to relax and call if it gets worse. Thanks! 
  • Loading the player...
  • When this happened to me, it was a couple days before my dating scan... So I called my doctor and asked them to move up my scan. They squeezed me in. For me, it wound up being a SCH. But, they told me that I didn't need to call or come in again unless I was filling a pad with blood. It sounds very very minimal. Try not to worry.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Stop overanalyzing the toilet paper and q-tippnig your lady bits! You are correct that brown blood is old blood. Some spotting can be normal during pregnancy...with DS I spotted randomly all the way through second tri. It's usually not cause for concern unless it is bright red and is enough to fill a pad and/or you are passing clots (per my OB).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had light tanish brown discharge with my daughter and it was harmless. If it turns red though I would call my Dr. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Normal. Harmless.
  • Thanks ladies. I feel a lot better. It stopped yesterday too. :) 
  • I really need to just relax and know that whatever will be will be. 
  • Brown is totally normal.  Bright red is when they usually recommend calling the nurses' hotline just to check in.
  • Stop overanalyzing the toilet paper and q-tippnig your lady bits! 
    This.
  • morgy_bee said:
    Stop overanalyzing the toilet paper and q-tippnig your lady bits! 
    This.
    This thread is super old and the OP came back and said it had stopped so why are you reviving it?