2nd Trimester

Was told 90% sure it's a girl at 14 wks? Update: 17 weeks confirmed GIRL!

brownleafbrownleaf member
edited November 2016 in 2nd Trimester
ive been asking around to see what others can see/think. She said she could see her vagina/labia and that there are three evident lines... I didn't realize it was possible to find out this early so I guess I'm just in disbelief? Shock? What do you guys see in these pictures? The arrows are pointing at what the doctor said is her vagina/labia

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Was told 90% sure it's a girl at 14 wks? Update: 17 weeks confirmed GIRL!

• I got an 80% guess at my last ultrasound too (13w3d). It's difficult to know for sure. If you Google sexual differentiation between fetuses at 14 weeks, you can see that the genitals for male and female look pretty much exactly the same (I'd post the picture here, but I'm at work, and it'd be a little weird to have to explain that search). What could resemble lady bits at this time could very well develop into a penis.

You can do Sneak Peek, which can tell you as early as 10 weeks, if you're really itching to know the gender. Otherwise, the best thing to do is to wait for NIPT results or the anatomy scan. Best of luck.

DH: 29
    Me: 27
    Married 9/20/14 
    BFP: 7/3/16
    EDD: 3/13/17

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I am more curious than I was before. I wasn't expecting her to tell me the gender so I was in shock, now I feel so curious and what to affirm what she said before I get set on it. My anatomy scan is in a month :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'd take it with a grain of salt. My US tech told us that they all kind of look like girls in the beginning, so she wasn't even going to guess until our AS.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Really good point. She's been doing it for 20 years and says she's usually accurate by this stage. I was just confused as to how she can tell so early
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am sure you wont want to hear this but at 17 weeks we were told girl, and at 20weeks he was for sure a boy! So wait it out and see! I am not saying this will be your story, but it for sure can happen! :-)

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• the only 100% is the blood test.  Why don't you have it done if you want to know for sure?  I did, and turns out we are having a boy :)
    Me:  35 year old FTM, a busy city banker living in London, and a constant worrier. 
    My DH:  French guy, car fanatic, best husband ever.  
    Our baby boy:  Due on 17 April, currently 37 weeks.  I can't believe it - I made it to full term!!!! 
    Last measurement:  3150 gs at 37+1!  This is going to be a big baby :)
  • Even the blood tests are not 100% accurate. The only thing that is 100% accurate is birth.
  • I found out at 14 weeks that mine was a girl and at our 20 week A/S this week the ultrasound tech showed us again that it was indeed a little girl! I think a lot of times a really expierenced and seasoned ultrasound tech can spot the differences if the baby is in the right posistion pretty easily! 
  • @SnarkasaurusRex  I would have thought the blood tests were 100% accurate.  How else am I supposed to have a Y chromosome in there, if not having a boy? 
    Me:  35 year old FTM, a busy city banker living in London, and a constant worrier. 
    Our baby boy:  Due on 17 April, currently 37 weeks.  I can't believe it - I made it to full term!!!! 
  • @smallanimal For you it probably is, however, if it comes back as 'girl' or if you've had boys in the past (as I have), it can pick up your DNA or lingering traces of your previous child's DNA instead of the new fetal DNA.

Plus, as someone who has worked in a genetics lab, mistakes happen, samples get contaminated, etc. Unlikely, yes, but still doesn't make them 100% accurate.
  • I had a friend who got wrong results on the sex from the DNA test so it does happen. Accuracy is 99%.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• @SnarkasaurusRex  Ah makes sense.  Well I am really happy with my boy so wouldnt want him to change into a girl now (although in the beginning I would have been happy with both .. now I got used to the thought of my little man) :smile:

• smallanimal after being told you're having a boy by he blood test, you have about a .4% chance of that actually being wrong. The blood test is over 99% accurate and is especially accurate when they say you're having a boy - especially since you're a first time mom and don't have any leftover DNA is your system from previous children. They can't just make up that Y chromosome, just like you said! :D 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• I wanted to update this thread. We got a confirmation ultrasound and yes, she is indeed a she.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker