Breastfeeding
Options

Weaning advice

My son will be one on the 20th, which means I'm about at my goal of breastfeeding for one year! I'm very proud I made it this far!

With that said, I'm looking for weaning advice. I'm about at my goal and my supply has dwindled significantly in the past week. How/when should I introduce cow's milk and how frequently should he be drinking? I'm also concerned about how he'll do since it's a comfort for him. Plus when he wakes in the night I nurse him back to sleep so also an adjustment for me!

Also looking for tips on meal planning for life without the boob. 

Sorry for lengthy post! Change makes me anxious!

Re: Weaning advice

• Options
    My son will be one on the 20th, which means I'm about at my goal of breastfeeding for one year! I'm very proud I made it this far!

With that said, I'm looking for weaning advice. I'm about at my goal and my supply has dwindled significantly in the past week. How/when should I introduce cow's milk and how frequently should he be drinking? I'm also concerned about how he'll do since it's a comfort for him. Plus when he wakes in the night I nurse him back to sleep so also an adjustment for me!

Also looking for tips on meal planning for life without the boob. 

Sorry for lengthy post! Change makes me anxious!
    My sister-in-law weened my niece at about one year old. I asked her what she did and she said:

Skip a feeding with breastfeeding and try a bottle of formula or pumped breast milk  or a cup of cow's milk (if they won't take the formula). Reducing the feedings (breastfeeding) one at a time over a period of weeks.

She did say a couple times she had to have my brother giver my niece the bottle while SIL was in another room because my niece wouldn't take the bottle from her. This happened several times during the starting of the weening. 
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm weaning my 16 month old twins right now, and I have a 4 year old son. They can start on whole milk at 1 year. Your pedi should give you information on how much he should be taking in.
    Here's my advice:
    1. Drop one feeding a week. That'll give your body time to adjust so you don't get mastitis. 
    2. Offer a meal first at breakfast, lunch and supper. Then give milk. Many babies will fill up on milk instead of food if given right away. Whole milk doesn't have enough nutrients to take in just that. In between meals, we do a healthy snack with milk, juice or water. 
    3. Before bed should be water. If given milk or juice before bed or in the middle of the night, it can rot their teeth. 
    4. Try self soothing or having your s/o soothe him in the middle of the night. That'll cut your temptation to feed him, and it'll make him get used to it. At this point, most babies really don't need to eat in the middle of the night. It's just for comfort. When he realizes you aren't going to feed him, he should start sleeping through the night. If he needs something, try water. 
    5. Try anything and everything for food. Keep a variety of foods handy. If given the same thing all the time, they'll get tired of it. 

I hope that helps. I'm down to my morning and night feeds. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker