Baby Names
Options

Rhyming first and last names?

35 weeks and need to settle on a name for our third boy.

Our favorite pick is Ezekiel James, with the planned nn Zeke.

The only potential downside is that our last name sounds like Sore-dull. So, though he'd mostly be called Zeke, his full name would be Ezekiel Sore-dull.

Are those names too rhyme-y? To my ear, "iel" and "dull" don't exactly rhyme, but if you say "Ezekiel Sore-dull" out loud, it does seem to kind of rhyme.

Wow, I sound like I've lost all my brain cells. Opinions welcome.
DX PCOS Jan 2012
IUI #1 Feb 2012= DS1 born 11/2012
Unmedicated BFP (first post-weaning cycle)=DS2 born 9/2014
Unmedicated BFP (first post-weaning cycle again)= EDD 11/2016

Re: Rhyming first and last names?

• Options
    I am not seeing how or hearing an issue with it

• Options
    Doesn't sound like it rhymes at all to me - the only thing in common is the "l" ending, and I think that's fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it sounds find and not the least bit rhymey
  • Options
    I don't hear the rhyme when I say it...I think you're good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    They're sort of close to rhyming, but don't exactly rhyme.  I would tell my HS English students it's an example of slant rhyme.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially since he'll mostly go by Zeke.  Now, if you were naming a child Jane Payne or Martin Barton -- different story.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    They're sort of close to rhyming, but don't exactly rhyme.  I would tell my HS English students it's an example of slant rhyme.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially since he'll mostly go by Zeke.  Now, if you were naming a child Jane Payne or Martin Barton -- different story.
    A slant rhyme- brilliant. Now, any time my pregnant brain starts to fixate on "is this the right name?" I'll have a mantra: "it's juuuuust a slant rhyme, sweetie."
    DX PCOS Jan 2012
  • Options
    I don't hear a rhyme. I like it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds fine to me. My nephews name is Ezekiel, so cute. 
  • Options
    Agree with the above. There's no major rhyming issue here, just the similar final "el" sound.
  • Options
    I think it sounds fine too; not rhymey at all!

PS- I really like the name Ezekiel but can't quite commit to it. May I ask, did you have any other names on your list you were considering? 
  • Options
    Sounds fine to me
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I think you're fine, but if it sounds odd to your ears, would you consider Zechariah? Zeke is a great NN for this name, but you'll be fighting the Zachariah comparison forever. 
    The McC 3 - DH, (38) Me, (34) and DS (3)
    A.J.M. - Born 6/11/13 after 17 BFNs including 1 failed IUI.
    Maybe Baby #2 - Started TTC Feb 2015. Called it quits after 29 cycles. 
  • Options

PS- I really like the name Ezekiel but can't quite commit to it. May I ask, did you have any other names on your list you were considering? 
    Yup, lots of other names. Other top picks were Isaiah, Grant, Abraham, Dean, and about a dozen others. I had no idea how we'd choose because nothing stood out. For us, something always emerges as "the one," and always very late in the pregnancy. One thing that helped was that my grandfather (whom I love dearly) suggested Zeke at some point in the first trimester. Not a reason to choose it, per say, but it definitely gave the name a nudge up the list.
    DX PCOS Jan 2012
  • Options
    I don't think it rhymes... your mama brain is playing tricks on you! :)
  • Options
    My sons name is Elias and out last name ends with an "us" sound. So it sounds rhymey but we still chose it solely because we just loved the name so much! I don't think it's a big deal! 
  • Options
    muybueno said:

Yup, lots of other names. Other top picks were Isaiah, Grant, Abraham, Dean, and about a dozen others. I had no idea how we'd choose because nothing stood out. For us, something always emerges as "the one," and always very late in the pregnancy. One thing that helped was that my grandfather (whom I love dearly) suggested Zeke at some point in the first trimester. Not a reason to choose it, per say, but it definitely gave the name a nudge up the list.
    Aww, so sweet that grandpa suggested Zeke! Go for it!