Infertility
Options

Transferring Multiple Embryos

APM_SLPAPM_SLP member
edited October 2016 in Infertility
I started chatting earlier today with a few fellow "Bumpers" about the possibility of transferring 2 embryos for my next FET.  I am curious what information you all have gotten from your RE's or your own research regarding positives and negatives.  Or, any personal experience you have with transferring two?

I've had 2 failed transfers thus far and have 3 PGS normal embryos in the freezer (4ab,4ab,5b-b-).  I am definitely planning on having an in-depth discussion with my RE before making any decisions.  However, as we are taking the month off for more testing that conversation won't happen for a few weeks!  

Thanks in advance for any information!   
Me: 35  DH: 36
Me: 1, possibly 2, blocked tubes
DH: severe MFI
Married and TTC since 2/15
Started stims 7/21/16, ER  8/2 --> 17 eggs, 5 blasts after PGS testing.
Fresh transfer 8/8/16: Chemical Pregnancy
FET #1 9/13: PGS tested 5AA, BFN
Endometrial biopsy 10/18/16: normal result
ERA test 10/18/16: "receptive" result
FET #2  1/3/17: natural cycle, BFP!!! TWINS!!  EDD: 9/21 (8/31 with twin adjustment)

Re: Transferring Multiple Embryos

• Options
    This was a very difficult decision for me and my husband. Eventually we decided to transfer two. Part of our decision came from statistics from our fertility office (success rates were higher with two embryos transferred) and my age. A negative was the possibility of complications from a multiple pregnancy if both embryos made it. We were successful with the transfer and had one of the embryos stick. I think talking to your doctor is best! I had multiple conversations with him to weigh both options. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Although we did not do PGS testing, we transferred 2 & 1 stuck.
    ****Siggy TW****
    natural pregnancy: 2008 
    Me: 28 (Hypothyroid), DH: 35
    Together since: 2010
    Married: 2013
    TTC: 2013
    Infertility: severe MFI, low AMH (0.5)
    Met RE: January 2016
    ER: 3/14 (4 follies, 6 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized)
    fresh 3dt of 2 embryos= BFP (1 implanted)
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    APM_SLP we're just at the beginning stages of our IVF process. I haven't even started stimming yet. Assuming, however, that we get enough blasts to choose from, we will be transfering 2 embryos. Our clinic told us that if we transfer 1, we have a 45-55% chance of it sticking. She said if we transfer two, we have a 60-65% with a 30-40% chance of multiples for our age and DX. 

I hope that helps!

**TW**
    Me: 31, DH:33
    TTC since October 2015: MFI
    Summer 2016: 3 IUI's: BFN
    October 2016: Switched RE's and began IVF cycle 
    December 2016: Retrieved 13 eggs, 12 mature, 9 fertilized with ICSI. 5 day ET of 2 blasts with 4 frosites left. BFP!!!! EDD: 8/30/2017 
    August 25, 2017: It's a Girl!!
    April 12, 2019: FET, BFP!!! Baby BOY EDD: 12/29/2019
  • Options
    Ah! I am actually in a similar situation @APM_SLP. Just had my first failed FET with a PGS normal. I am going in for my WTF appt with my RE today and one of the things I am going to ask him if about the possibility of transferring 2. I know my clinic is very opposed to it given my age (31) and my PGS testing, but the reality is that I already had one that failed to implant. When I get back from my appt today I will let you know what he says. 
    ***TW***
    DH & I both 34.
    8/16: IVF, antagonist protocol 
    21 eggs | 9 blasts | 7 normal through PGS
    10/16: FET  = BFN  :(
    12/16: Surprise natural BFP 
    Beta 1: 177 | Beta 2: 483 | Beta 3: 8,755 | Beta 4: 39,007. Baby born 9/5/2017

NOW on sibling journey. 
    2/20: FET = BFN :(
    4/20: Surprise COVID BFP

• Options
    I transferred 2 embryos 4 times all lead to no success. I transferred 3 fresh (day 3) embryos, 1 time and it lead to an ectopic pregnancy. Man, that sucks writing it out :smirk: 
    My RE will not transfer more than 2 on a day 5 transfer but will transfer more than 2 on day 3. I am going to be transferring 4 this time (I think). I think it all depends on the person, the medical history, the transfer history, and the quality of the embryos. Go with your gut and your doctors insight. 
    Me 30 || DH 36
    Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
    -3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    -IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
    ***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
    -FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
    -IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    -FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
    -IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
    -Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
    Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

• Options
    It's nice that your doctor will give you the option.  My re said that if we do pgs testing, she will only transfer one embryo.  I feel like I would rather transfer two, but she is firm on her beliefs on this topic.  So I am trusting her.
  • Options
    @jodes727 if the PGS testing comes back normal, and the grading is good- i cant see why they limit you. I agree that we should have the option of 1 or 2, but at least the testing is good and your chance is very high
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze

• Options
    APM_SLPAPM_SLP member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I want to do 2 if my testing this months comes back with no new significant information.  But, considering we only have 2 "good" graded embryos left (one male and one female), I'm so nervous we might lose one because we put two in.  Does that make sense?  Like I wonder if the odds of 2 live pregnancies are greater doing them separately as opposed to together.  

So far I have been completely against the odds when it comes to pregnancy success, so I don't know why I worry so much about statistics!
    FET #2  1/3/17: natural cycle, BFP!!! TWINS!!  EDD: 9/21 (8/31 with twin adjustment)

• Options
    @APM_SLP Yes it makes sense. At my clinic this is certainly true. There is a slightly lower percentage of live births with 1 embryo than 2. Like, with putting 2 in, you have a slightly lower change of having 1 baby. BUT if only one takes, then you are probably just fine. 

Just had my appt with my RE and he's pretty opposed to putting 2 PGS blasts in. At least right now. He said I need more than 1 failed cycle to convince him it's a good idea. 
    ***TW***
    DH & I both 34.
    8/16: IVF, antagonist protocol 
    21 eggs | 9 blasts | 7 normal through PGS
    10/16: FET  = BFN  :(
    12/16: Surprise natural BFP 
    Beta 1: 177 | Beta 2: 483 | Beta 3: 8,755 | Beta 4: 39,007. Baby born 9/5/2017

NOW on sibling journey. 
    2/20: FET = BFN :(
    4/20: Surprise COVID BFP

• Options
    My clinic has a pretty firm policy of single embryo transfers because of the increased risk associated with multiples. 

In my case I had a lletz procedure for an abnormal pap smear which means multiples would be double risky (it means I have a weak cervix).

• Options
    My re recommended 2 as well she said my chances go from like 60% to 80% with two so i. Ant decided plus my package only includes one embreyo transfer so if i have to pay more i wont. @Nellin ive had cryo done for an abnormal pap in 2010 but nothing was mentioned about that hmm
  • Options
    When the embryo is very good, my clinic only allowed 1 for me. I've only transferred 2 embies once, resulted in a cp. I've done two single-transfers, those are the ones that stuck. So for me, it just seemed like random luck of the draw. 
  • Options
    ReesaAnne16ReesaAnne16 member
    edited October 2016
    If you look at the SART website, you can use the calculator to estimate success rates. With my personal info, it suggests that the chances of a live birth with 1 cycle with 2 embryos is 57% verses 2 cycles with 1 embryo each is 66%.
    https://sart.org/

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• Options
    We had our embryos PGS tested and my RE would not put more than one back in the beginning either. After the second failed FET he agreed to putting back 2 - bit like what yours is saying  @omarismyhomeboy, he needed some proof one wouldn't work. 
    Both stuck in the beginning but then we had what they call vanishing twin syndrome at week 9, and now have a healthy singleton pregnancy.
    It's a tough decision to make, but just go with your gut feeling. Good luck @APM_SLP
    Me: 38, DH: 40 living in Asia
    TTC since March 2015 with known PCOS and MIF
    IVF in 2015. FET nr 3 in 2016 - BFP. Healthy baby girl born in April 2017.
    Trying for nr 2

• Options
    My RE recommends only transferring 1 in a fresh or FET. B/c of all of my complications and cancelled cycles, etc he transferred 2 in my fresh transfer (unsuccessful). We will also be transferring 2 in the FET just to try to give me the very best chances of getting pregnant.

TTC for 8 years.
    Started in 2008 with timed intercourse, ovulation testing, no official monitoring.
    OB-GYN recommended Clomid and timed intercourse, attempted for 6 straight months.
    First surgery June 2009 (OB-GYN): diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis and large hydrosalpinx on right tube.
    Second surgery (July 2009, RE performed this): Right tube had to be removed, lots of adhesions removed.
    Attempted "trying on our own" as per RE recommendations, unsuccessful 5-6 months.
    HSG performed December 2009: left tube open.
    February 2010: started Femara and timed intercourse, attempted 6 months, no BFPs.
    Took a break for a while.
    January 2011: started IUI process, ovaries never properly responded to medications, 6 failed attempts, never actually completed an IUI.
    Took 2012-2014 off due to depression and frustration (side note: did complete grad school to become a nurse practitioner- great distraction).
    2015: started seeing RE again, went through tons of testing and HSG, left tube now blocked, only option is IVF.
    September 2015: Started first official IVF cycle, cancelled in October due to large cyst on left ovary.
    October 2015: started on birth control for 2 months.
    December 2015: attempted to start another IVF cycle, cysts on both ovaries on initial ultrasound, left was huge, cancelled to aspirated cyst.
    January 2016: Cyst back, surgery for ex-lap, cyst and adhesions removed.
    March 2016: Attempted second IVF cycle, estrogen way too high, cyst back, cancelled again.
    April 2016: Third attempted IVF cycle, 7 eggs retrieved, 2 mature (but not great) embryos made to fresh transfer, neither implanted.
    May-Sept 2016: Break to regain sanity.
    Sept-Oct 2016: Attempted fourth IVF cycle, very successful, cyst still on left but we ignored. 7 mature "great looking" eggs retrieved, 4 mature embryos made it to day 5 transfer. Transfer aborted due to large amount of endometriosis fluid in uterus.
    FET of 2 embryos completed on 12/12/16.
    12/22/16 1st Beta 179 BFP!!!
    12/24/16 2nd Beta 449!!
    EDD 8/30/17 with two girls!!!!!

Audrey (4lb 8oz) and Olivia (6lb 6oz) born 8/10/17!!

• Options
    @Hoping4Success I think from memory lletz is deeper than cryo. Or maybe it's about the severity? I had CIN3 changes and I think it was quite deep. I'm no expert so if you are worried it's probably worth asking your RE for peace of mind. 

My clinic does make exceptions to the single implant rule if they are low quality or after lots of failed rounds. 
  • Options
    Awesome information!  Thank you all!

• Options
    My clinic automatically transfers 2 if it's a day 3 transfer (you can elect 1) and 1 at day 5.
  • Options
    @Nellin ya i should ask im considering doing one only because i might have to pay extra since my package only included one i think is how i understood it im all oop cant afford anymore extra put in i just paid 900 for my fet protcol 
  • Options
    **trigger warning :pregnancy mentioned ** 

i transferred 2 with my FET and only one stuck . My doc advised me against doing two due to my age (28 at retrieval ) but I did two anyways and I'm so glad I did because one didn't make it . I , however , had come to terms with the possibility of a multiple pregnancy so that's why my husband I were comfortable with our decision . I didn't do PGS though . 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Options
    **previous child mentioned **

the clinic we decided on only does one embryo transfer, we're in the very early stages but that's our current plan. I have one healthy daughter but her delivery was incredibly traumatic on me, so all doctors agree twins are not ideal for us, we're too nervous to risk it. Talk to me again though if we have enough not stick :)
  • Options
    Im also transferring two and were ok with twins but one healthy baby is the goal i will transfer 2 of my best to get us the best chances 

• Options
    I just had an ectopic so we won't be able to try again for awhile, but when we do, we'll be transferring two again. The only time I've ever been pregnant we transferred two. Unfortunately it implanted in the wrong place but it did result in a pregnancy.  
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
    FET #1- BFP; Ectopic pregnancy found at 7wks
    FET #2- February 2017 BFP  Beta #1- 119 (8dp5dt) Beta #2- 475 (12dp5dt)
  • Options
    @lilmissslp how are you recovering?  I've been thinking about you and hope all is going well!
  • Options
    @lilmissslp I've been thinking about you so much! How are you?

• Options
    Thanks @jodes727 and @APM_SLP!  It's been a really rough journey. The surgery didn't take care of it all so I had to have a shot as well. I'm still going for weekly blood work until my hcg gets back to zero. I'm still just very sad and trying to move forward. How are you both doing?
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
  • Options
    @lilmissslip I'm sorry that things have been so difficult for you.  I can remember sitting in the hospital waiting for the nurse to come to give me my shot for our second ectopic.  Just sitting there waiting, with tears and wishing for her to come quickly so I could go home and wishing at the same time that she would not come because I knew it would be over :( It is such a hard time!  What is your number?  
  • Options
    @lilmissslp what a tough road you have been on.  I sure hope you are almost back down to zero and pray that you can start your next move very soon!

I'm okay.  My second FET failed, and we have no idea why because everything looked so great.  Just did some testing last week to see if anything else is going on before we do another.  In the meantime we are most likely breaking until the new year.  I've been so stressed out and even though I don't want to "waste" anymore time, I think I need to just clear my head for a bit.  

• Options
    *TW loss, bfp and pregnancy*

I had 9 embryos make it to day 5, and with each of my first 3 transfers, we did 2. On the third transfer, 1 stuck, but ended in a MMC at 10 weeks. For our 4th transfer, we only had 3 embies left, and after a terrible transfer history, doc agreed to transfer all 3. 3 weeks later, we saw 3 sacs with 3 heartbeats. All are still going strong at 15 weeks. Yes, there will be risks, but we were/are prepared for them.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    @lilmissslp how are you?? i've been thinking of you!
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Options
    @jodes727, I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this twice! Normally we hope and pray that our numbers go up and it just makes me so sad to hope mine go down. As of a week ago, my number was 172...finally out of the thousands! It's getting there just taking it's sweet time. Oh I was a mess at the hospital waiting for my shot too. I hate that the chance of a second ectopic is much higher. 

@APM_SLP I'm so sorry for your failed transfers. There just seems to be no rhyme or reason most of the time. As much as I want to try again, I am thankful that I have to wait due to the shot and my hcg levels. The hardest part of waiting to move forward is knowing that in that timeframe more friends and family will become pregnant, but I know I'm not physically or emotionally ready to move on. 

@Colleen0516, I'm hanging in there. Waiting for my hcg to get back to zero and trying to heal emotionally. This has been much harder than I expected and I'm still so sad. How are you?? I've been thinking about you too!! Will you be trying again soon?
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
  • Options
    @lilmissslp your HCG was sooo high- its gotta be torture following it down. I HATED that part so much. I felt like I was stuck in the nightmare and couldn't put it behind me because my levels were still up. 

My levels dropped pretty quickly this time, they caught it pretty early for me. I'm currently in the TWW again. I'm scared though. I'm officially losing my mind and going crazy. Didn't really know how damaged I was, until recently. Its hard to just forget everything that happened. There is just too much to try and put behind me. I feel kinda numb this round. I'm still hopeful, but i'm starting to settle on the side of acceptance. By no means and I giving up, but i'm finally coming to terms with my journey and facing reality. We will see what this beta tells me..
    What is your game plan??
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Options
    @Colleen0516 yeah at the time of my surgery it had gone up to 23,000. I think they were all very surprised. Yes, it is absolute torture waiting for it to come down and my body just doesn't know what's going on. No real game plan at this point. I had to have surgery and the shot and with the shot, you can't try again for at least three months. I'm meeting with my RE in a couple weeks just to see what he is thinking. This next try is our last try with IVF. 

Wow that's so exciting that you're in your two week wait! How many did you transfer? I completely understand how you're feeling. I'm very nervous about proceeding because I don't know how to move on emotionally. Some days I just feel so broken. I'm very hopeful for you and I can't wait to hear your results.
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN