Trouble TTC
Options

Continue with IUI or jump to IVF

edited October 2016 in Trouble TTC
hey ladies! I know this is a question only I can answer but I was hoping to get opinions

i went to my followup appointment with my RE today- she said the same thing I keep hearing..all my blood results were pretty much normal and that she is diagnosing me with unexplained IF - the only thing she didn't like was my TSH, although it was still normal she wants a better number, so she is retesting it and may put me on Thyroid meds

she said I could keep trying IUIs but she suggests I jump to IVF bc of my age 

I've only done one IUI with a previous RE I wasnt happy with- which I paid out of pocket for

my insurance covers a lifetime limit of 6 IUIs- so I could exhaust those...or I could jump to IVF (which would be all out of pocket)

im leaning towards exhausting my IUIs first- but is that just wasting time??
Me: 36 years old   DH: 42 years old
Married: 05.2012  
TW:
TTC #1 Since April 2016
HSG/FSH/AMH/E2/SA all normal DX: unexplained IF

spontaneous BFP 01/01/2017-  Alexander was born sleeping 04/13/2017 at 19w1d  ic/chorio
September 2017 HSG #2 & Gonal-F/Femara/Ovidrel/IUI #1 = ep (Salpingectomy of left fallopian tube)
spontaneous BFP 01/02/2018  EDD Aug 30th  It's a GIRL!
Cerclage placed on 03/02BabyFruit Ticker  Cerclage removal 08/02

Re: Continue with IUI or jump to IVF

• Options
    Hi @harleyquinn0621 I think many women have struggled with this decision, and it is is ultimately your decision. 

If my insurance paid for 6 IUI's I would definitely go that route (that's just me, because we're paying OOP for IUIs right now, and not sure if we can afford IVF)

Did your RE give you success rates with IUI vs IVF for your situation? What about success rates for someone in your situation who is a year older? Would your RE allow you to do back to back IUI cycles? if so, it's really only the cost of a few months of treatment that could potentially save thousands.
    That being said, I've seen ladies on here who are just DONE with treatments and jumped to IVF early on because they could afford it and it has a higher success rate. You could always start with IUI's and if 1 or 2 don't work, move on to IVF.

Just putting in my thoughts; it is not an easy decision. Good luck with whatever route you choose. 

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• Options
    As you said, it is a total personal choice, and whatever you choose is right for you. That said, if I were in your shoes, I would use up some of the insurance paid IUIs as reesaAnne16 said. I may not do all of them, but I'd be willing to try it at least three more times before moving on. At the very least, you would be doing SOMETHING which might result in a pregnancy while saving up money for IVF ( I would have to save up anyway! Your financial situation may be different than mine.) 
    DX PCOS + mild male factor
    TTC since Dec. 2015
    Current Treatment: Metformin, Provera, Letrozole, Trigger, IUI
    Past Treatment: Clomid + Metformin x 3 BFN
    Letrozole 5 mg + Trigger shot + IUI = BFP!
    Beta confirmed 8/22
    EDD 5/1/17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Echoing previous posters, if it were me, I would use up some covered IUIs. I'd also want to figure out if the TSH/thyroid would make a difference first, but I definitely see the draw of IVF with its higher success rates... But then again, I don't know your full situation. 

Kept us posted. Good luck with whatever path you take! 
  • Options
    We  must have similar insurance! I just made this decision because I have done 4 IUIS without success and I wanted to use a frozen embryo I have so badly because we have just been trying so long and really not believing in the IUI working- but I have decided to go through the IUIS first- IVF without insurance help can get SO expensive, I did that a few years ago because my company just added infertility to my insurance plan last year :) but with IVF its not just from the upfront costs but the meds, and the storage, and extra lab work....
    Me-31- DH- 41 -Moved to New York* TTC since August 2011, unexplained IF & PCOS HSG - both tubes clear Saline Ultrasound- clear SA- Normal January 2013- Started metformin 1500mg attempting micro IVF 2/8/2013 2/8/2013 Cycle- ganirelix, menopur, gonal F 3/3/2013- ER- 7 Eggs 3/4/2013- All 7 fertilize 3/8- ET
    TTC Again since 8/16/2014- 3rd Clomid Cycle with IUI  starts 8/18
  • Options
    good morning ladies! thank you all for your input... although its a very personal decision, it's also a very difficult one- not only emotionally but financially

we do not have the money from IVF, however my mother is willing to gift us the money if we want to move forward- i just dont know how i would feel taking that kind of money from her, especially if the IVF fails

i think we've decided to go forward with IUI with injectibles. a little more expensive than clomid but waaaaaaay less expensive than IVF...... i'm not sure how many rounds we're going to do but i also don't think we're going to move to IVF at any point.. we'll never have that kind of money and there is just too much pressure if accepting it from someone else

i am going to wait to get the TSH results back- i am also probably going to wait until Jan to start the IUIs because i want to give myself time to lose some weight and get healthier - I want to give these the best chance possible
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016

spontaneous BFP 01/01/2017-  Alexander was born sleeping 04/13/2017 at 19w1d  ic/chorio
    September 2017 HSG #2 & Gonal-F/Femara/Ovidrel/IUI #1 = ep (Salpingectomy of left fallopian tube)
  • Options
    Hello again! I might consider looking into reproductive immunology just to make sure there are no other issues if you do move on to IVF eventually. Maybe look for a naturopath that is knowledgable in epigenetics.
    https://mthfr.net/mthfr-and-thyroid-disorders/2013/07/18/

https://mthfr.net/is-mthfr-affecting-your-pregnancy/2013/05/24/

TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • Options
    @lablover78 thanks for the info! i'm a little concerned bc there are only three REs in my area, and i've seen two of them lol i'm not sure if the other tests for this :(
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016

• Options
    I think this really is a personal choice.  If I was you I would definitely try the "free" IUIs first.  I would need to save up for IVF anyways so I wouldn't be ready to jump to that.

Married since 2011

TTC since Oct 2014
    DOR + MFI
    3 failed IUIs; IVF August 2017
    FET January 2018 - BFP