TTC After a Loss

RE Advice

So my first appointment with a RE is Monday. I am a bit nervous, and was wondering if anyone knew of any questions I should ask. I am worried I will think of them all after the visit is over. Is there any thing that you found particularly helpful or important when dealing with your RE. How long does it normally take for treatment to get moving along?

Re: RE Advice

• I have only had one appointment with mine, it was on Tuesday. We met for an hour and he ordered a bunch of blood work and I have to have another procedure in the next couple of weeks. 
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    edited September 2016
    My first RE appt was just a consult, so my Dr explained the possible causes of my RPL, the tests that they would do, and the possible treatments. Then I was instructed to call day 1 of my next cycle if I wanted to start back up. I came back for a 2nd consult when I was told what my results meant and offered choices- which was only IVF+PGS or try again naturally.

The questions you should ask are related to your own situation. If you think you may do IVF, ask about the clinics success rate and whether they do PGS. Ask about if they can bill insurance for any testing, billing procedures, if they offer the fertility credit card? Ask about how much you would likely have to pay out of pocket for the procedures they do. Unless you don't have another option nearby, the first RE visit is where they try to sell you in working with them. It's a pretty different experience (in my opinion) than regular Drs. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My first appointment was also just a consult.  My regular OB had already done a few tests but she wanted to re-run some of them but she was pretty aggressive with getting the ball rolling.  It did take a few months before I was under way with my first medicated cycle but the only break since the start was my second miscarriage.  I don't know what treatment you're meeting with the RE about
    @Cmckenzie but I started with a very low dose of Clomid because my issue is mild PCOS and anovulatory cycles, so she was working on getting me to ovulate.  I keep a notebook that has pockets for all the information, my temp chart, and then write down questions as I think of them.  You can always call back if you think of something later.  Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
  • I had my first appt about 2 weeks ago. Similar to everyone it was a consult but they did do an u/s afterwards. My DH went with me and we both went through our medical history, family history, the 2 mc. She then ordered bloodwork for me, genetic testing, hsg test of the uterus and sperm sample from DH ( which she said was optional but we opted for it wanting to get all the information we could). She was very thorough and went over everything with us and then after my u/s the nurse did as well. Dr did say that after all the testing they would recommend either try naturally or go a medicated cycle route. She also said that if I wanted to get pg naturally I could continue to tx there during my 1st trimester where they would more closely monitor me - which i,thought was nice and made it seem less like a money grab. I felt really good and hopeful after my appt. Hope it goes well for you too and let me know if you have any other questions. 
  • My first appointment was an hour long. We went over my history, all the labs I had done already and what they meant going forward. We then discussed what tests he still wanted to do and what each option would be depending upon results for each of them going forward. He explained a lot of genetics for H who doesn't get that as much as I do and how that may have caused a role. (Turns out no) and how each treatment type would aim at correcting possible bad chromosomes and eggs since that's more of our problem 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• I just went to mine today. They discuss your history, order a ton do bloodwork. I requested a thyroid. Feel free to request stuff, I feel like I should have asked for more. Anyway, she's doing a chromosomal mapping panel on my husband and myself, sperm testing, then I go back for more day 2-3 of my menses. They do a saline ultra sound.. Then I think that might be it until we try? She said IVF would be an option after a 3rd loss, but currently that would be unnessary based on my RPL panel and my history. Anyway, will likely go down like that, with an ultra sound at the end of the appt to check your uterus out.
  • Thanks everyone, sorry I didn't get back sooner, things have been a bit crazy. So the appointment went well and I did find out I have pcos, I went again this week and learned that my tubes were clear! so I am excited about that!

• @Cmckenzie Great news that your tubes are clear. Hopefully the DX will help with your TTC journey.
    **TW - Loss & Child mentioned**
    Me: 40  DH: 47
    Married: 10/2015
    DSD: 17
    BFP #1: 6/2/15, ectopic, metho 7/15
    BFP #2: 12/4/15, cp 12/7/15
    BFP #3: 8/5/16, MMC discovered 9/1, Misoprostol 9/19
    BFP #4: 5/10/17, EDD 1/20/2018
    Baby boy born January 12, 2018, 6 lbs 3.3 oz, 20.5 in.

• Good news!!!
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • Glad you got good news