Infertility

Lovely Article (TW: Loss, Pregnancy)

https://nymag.com/thecut/2016/09/price-of-infertility-ivf-cost-c-v-r.html

Closing out on my TWW after my first (fresh) IVF cycle, and this article is really hitting home. It is so interesting to look at the coverage in the other 14 states (I live in MA) and what they really offer to couples who want/need IVF. Hawaii asks for FIVE YEARS of infertility?? Does that mean that people have to try for 5 years, or get diagnosed after 1 year of trying, then wait another five?

Sending love and vibes of success to everyone.

Re: Lovely Article (TW: Loss, Pregnancy)

• Thanks for sharing!  After reading the article, I went on amazon & bought the book!
    Me (31) & DH (31) - married 2008; TTC since 2013
    SA = normal; HSG = clear; history of DVT/PE
    Diagnosed with unexplained infertility
    IUI #1- April '16 - BFN 
    IUI #2 - May '16 - BFN
    IVF Fresh Xfer #1 (1 blastocyst) - Sept '16 - BFN
    FET #2 - 11/8/16 (2 blastocysts) - Beta on 11/18
    4 more blastocysts on ice
  • I wish all states were required to offer reasonable insurance coverage for infertility.

I live in Louisiana, which technically is a state that mandates coverage, but honestly I don't feel like it covers much.  It is covering the three surgeries I am having for endometriosis, but when I go over my plan for specialty drugs, the Lupron Depot prescribed to treat it is not covered.  Its over $1,000 per shot, I need 6. My doctor put in for an exception to get the medication covered, just waiting to hear back from Blue Cross on approval.  Fingers crossed, because I really don't want to pay an extra $6,000 on top of the cost  for the non-covered fertility medications and IVF we need in a state that "mandates" coverage.

I guess I should be thankfully at least something is covered and stop complaining.

Definition of Infertility/Patient Requirements
    • Prohibits the exclusion of coverage for the diagnosis and treatment of a correctable medical condition, solely because the condition results in infertility.
    Exceptions
    • The law does not require insurers to cover fertility drugs, IVF or other assisted reproductive techniques, reversal of a tubal ligation, a vasectomy, or any other method of sterilization.
  • Loading the player...
  • @Monica54321 I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book now and I really like it. She couches her infertility experience in the larger cultural discussion and attitudes toward fertility and infertility. Really interesting. I hope you like it!

Thanks for sharing this, @purplepumpernickel! The discrepancy in coverage across the country is truly remarkable. I hope they don't have to wait 5 years in Hawaii!

@MMD1986 I know how you feel; NY has a similar mandate. We're still on IUI, which is mandated coverage, but I'm worried about what will happen if we have to move to IVF (not covered, of course). I hope you get your exemption!
  • Great article! I am also a MA resident and feel very lucky for the coverage and care I have received. I'm not sure what fertility clinics in other places are like, but I know mine is a booming business, which I assume has the Massachusetts healthcare system to thank.

I met with my RE this morning and actually brought this article up to her. She was googling away while I was in the room with her.