Pregnant after IF

Stomach pains from Progesterone

eveangel100eveangel100 member
edited September 2016 in Pregnant after IF
Hi all, I'm new to the boards and I'm here because I can't find answers anywhere.
I'm 7 weeks pregnant thanks to IVF and my dr has me taking estrogen and progesterone every day until 12 weeks.
Unfortunately (and it's taken some time to narrow this down), the progesterone is wreaking havoc on my stomach.
I went to my dr when it first started because I was worried, he did an US and said everything is fine, it's normal to have some uterine cramping because it's stretching, and that I'm worrying too much.
But I've had To miss the last 3 days of work (I'm a teacher, so it's difficult to be off that much) because I'm so uncomfortable. It's not so much my uterus anymore as it is my GI tract. My stomach hurts and the pain has lasted on and off the past 5 days. I can't sleep because it wakes me up all night. 
My stomach lining feels very inflamed and sore, sometimes I feel like I'm constipated or have painful trapped gas bubbles, but then I've had diarrhea a few times. 
Has anyone else had this problem with progesterone? My dr had me on 800mg of vaginal pills (200mg 4 times a day), so I switched back to the injections instead hoping there will be less stomach pain with it.
for now all I can do is lay in bed most of the day with a heating pad on low heat on my stomach (not over my uterus). I tried Tylenol a few times but that didn't do anything. I called the advice nurse and she didn't know anything. I've not been eating a lot, but I'm sticking to bland foods like bread, crackers, bananas.
 Any advice? I'm just worried because I need to return to work but I'm not sure how I can function when I feel so uncomfortable.
Thanks for any advice!
Nicole

Re: Stomach pains from Progesterone

• I'm sorry you're in so much pain! I'm not sure if mine was caused by being on so much progesterone for so long but I have a week with very bad stomach aches and cramps. I read your digestive system slows down a lot so that could cause you to be getting all outta wack. My ob told me I could use stool softeners to get things moving. hopefully it's just your body adjusting to the changes and settles down. 
  • Did the stool softener Help you? What kind did you use? Did your pains go away after the week? Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • This sounds awful. I second the stool softener suggestion. My OB recommended I minimally at least use a benifiber or miralax (powder mixed into a drink) every day. It helps a ton!
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • I didn't use them bc the pains started settling down but in the past I've used miralax, the one time I used a pill form it was just as strong as a laxative. That was not comfortable. 
  • Per your suggestions, I sent my husband to Target to buy the Healthy Mama stool softener made just for pregnant women called Move It Along! It had great reviews online; just took one - praying that it helps alleviate this constant discomfort!