Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

sttn question

My 6-month-old is waking up to eat once during the night, which I know is still normal. At the same time, I've been reading that the way to begin trying to phase out that night feeding is to try and feed her enough during the day that she no longer needs the night feeding. The problem is that we are now feeding her enough during the day -- around 30oz -- so that technically she doesn't need the night feeding...but then she wants the night feeding anyway. So then in the end she ends up eating more like 33oz, because she'll eat the other 3oz overnight. So I'm not sure what to do. Do I cut down what she's eating during the day, so that she's not overeating overall? If I do that, then how do we try to phase out the night feeding? Help!

Re: sttn question

• Options

If you know she is getting enough during the day, don't feed her when she wakes.  You can comfort her or let her CIO.  She will eventually realize that she isn't getting food anymore when she wakes and eventually stop waking.  Hopefully she does it sooner rather than later for you. 

Me: 30   DH: 33

TTC #1 since June 2014

Baby #1 coming March 2016

My Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I fed my son a larger bottle before bed, and if he woke up I gradually decreased his amount until he didnt miss it.. Started with 4oz..then took it down to 2..and then he decided he didn't need it anymore. It worked for us..now he sleeps 10-12 hours uninterupted
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! Last night she woke up after 4am, which is later than it's been in awhile. If she can do that for a few more days, then I think I will start decreasing the size of her bottles slowly (or maybe keep the same amount of water, but decrease the amount of actual formula in it). The problem is that if she wakes up around 1am and I give her a small bottle, then she wakes up again at 5ish for a second one, which totally defeats the purpose. But assuming she continues to wake this late, then that's a great plan.
  • Options
    There is also a big growth spurt at 6 months. She might need the sustenance and the comfort of those extra feeds. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Options
    Not sure where you got the 30oz amount from, but my 6 months old has been drinking 36+ ounces since 2 months. She hasn't woken up to eat at night since then. 
  • Options
    I would feed LO purees at that age before bed. Usually with cereal mixed in and a small bottle he would sleep through the night no issue. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Options
    amp61470 said:
    I would feed LO purees at that age before bed. Usually with cereal mixed in and a small bottle he would sleep through the night no issue. 
    I was doing that but mine started pooping at night and got a horrendous diaper rash. She was basically sitting in poop for up to 12 hours and her butt was bleeding and she would cry when you started changing her diaper. Now we're only doing solids for breakfast/lunch. Just something to consider
  • Options
    amp61470 said:
    I was doing that but mine started pooping at night and got a horrendous diaper rash. She was basically sitting in poop for up to 12 hours and her butt was bleeding and she would cry when you started changing her diaper. Now we're only doing solids for breakfast/lunch. Just something to consider
    LO has had a diaper rash once in the last year. We have been very Lucky with this kiddo and every baby is different. Consider every possibility and do what works best for you. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012