December 2015 Moms

eating schedule, solids v. formula

What type of daily eating schedule is your baby on? We usually only give solids once/ day and formula the rest of the time. How often do you feed solids? in comparison to formula or BM?  I think we should be giving him more solids, more frequently. Interested to hear others' routines. Thanks!

Re: eating schedule, solids v. formula

• I give solids three times a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. We are up at 530, I breastfeed about 7 times a day. She's in bed at 6, and has one night feed. 
  • wow, you are still doing a lot of nursing feeds. good for you! we wake up at 6:30 and give him a bottle. he naps three x a day and gets a bottle after each one. and a bottle before bed time (5 bottles per day).  we give him solids in the afternoon - usually between nap 2 and 3.  something like sweet potatoes and yogurt, or another veggie/ fruit.  I'd like to start doing breakfast, lunch and dinner. but feeding him solids is also a big mess!  also, my husband is home w/ baby all day, so he has to agree on the routine.  It's great to hear what others are doing. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes lots of mess to contend with but fun!
  • I give 4-5 bottles and 2 solids per day. I usually give bottle first thing in the morning, next feed is "breakfast" which is oatmeal or fruit, then bottle before nap, usually another bottle in the afternoon, then a solid for "dinner" usually veggies or chicken/turkey, then a bigger bedtime bottle. Sometimes we are up for a night feed, sometimes we sleep through it. 
  • 8 1/2 months.
    6:30 wakes up gets 6oz bottle,
    10:00ish breakfast: oatmeal w/banana mixed with formula and 4oz bottle,
    1:00ish/lunch: stage 3 veggie meal & stage 3 fruit
    4:00ish/snack: 4-5oz bottle
    6:00ish/dinner: Stage 3 veggie and stage 3 fruit mixed with whatever DH and I are having for dinner.
    7:15 4-5oz bottle
    7:30ish bedtime 
  • sampell1sampell1 member
    edited September 2016
    This is pretty much our exact schedule.
  • Thanks. we've been doing breakfast and lunch (solids) with bottles in between.  Yesterday we gave him 4 bottles (we used to give 5), so we are increasing solids/ decreasing formula (finally!!)  I think that worked well. he loves to eat :smiley:
  • asmith40 said:
    8 1/2 months.
    6:30 wakes up gets 6oz bottle,
    10:00ish breakfast: oatmeal w/banana mixed with formula and 4oz bottle,
    1:00ish/lunch: stage 3 veggie meal & stage 3 fruit
    4:00ish/snack: 4-5oz bottle
    6:00ish/dinner: Stage 3 veggie and stage 3 fruit mixed with whatever DH and I are having for dinner.
    7:15 4-5oz bottle
    7:30ish bedtime 
    What do you mean by "stage 3" veggie and fruit ??  Thanks!
  • My girl turned 8 months yesterday. (originally due in December born 1/5)

630am - bottle 6oz
    8am - breakfast of yogurt or fruits/oatmeal
    9-11 nap
    11am - bottle 6oz after nap
    12ish - snack of teething cracker/puffs or anything left over from breakfast
    1-3 nap
    3ish - 6oz bottle after nap
    5ish - dinner of veggies, or just starting some meats/finger foods
    7-730 - 6oz bottle before bed
    *sometimes if she has a short afternoon nap she'll take a catnap around 4-5pm, in which she'll get another bottle upon wakeup. 
  • asmith40asmith40 member
    edited September 2016
    nrayyes- Stage 3 foods are chunky. My son didn't know what to think about them at first. Now he's used to them. I also give him table food as much as I can. He loves feeding himself the table food but seems to get more on his lap and the floor than he does in his mouth!