February 2017 Moms

August Book Club Discussion - All the Missing Girls

I don't know if everyone is finished or not, so be careful for spoilers below.  Also, I'm making these questions up, so don't be judgy about them. 

Misc Questions:

1. Did you like it? 

2. Do you believe that saying about how you can leave the small town but it never leaves you?

3. What was the point of having her brother hit her be such an integral part of the story?

4. Did you expect the ending if you got there?

5. Do you think she chose the right man?

Bonus:  Suggest a book for the next month

Re: August Book Club Discussion - All the Missing Girls

• I'm judging your questions. 

• I'm judging that no one read the book :pensive:
  • Loading the player...
  • What happened to the LAST book? "All the Light We Cannot See" - I read that one!
  • I read it! I read it! I'll answer once I get DD to bed :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • MommaBean said:
    What happened to the LAST book? "All the Light We Cannot See" - I read that one!
    were you in the wrong BMB?  I can't find mention of this anywhere :open_mouth:
  • MommaBean said:
    What happened to the LAST book? "All the Light We Cannot See" - I read that one!
    Omg that would be hilarious. Let me see if I can find out...
  • MommaBean said:
    MommaBean said:
    Ok so it was mentioned early in the "which book" debate - I didn't totally make it up! - but obviously was not the winner. Apparently I mixed them up bc the first two words are the same? Hahahaha
  • MommaBean said:
    MommaBean said:
    MommaBean said:
    Ok so it was mentioned early in the "which book" debate - I didn't totally make it up! - but obviously was not the winner. Apparently I mixed them up bc the first two words are the same? Hahahaha
    was it good? :P
  • I didn't have time to get the book for August but I'd be happy to analyze any of the other 5 books I read lol.
  • MommaBean said:
    MommaBean said:
    MommaBean said:
    4/5 stars :) WWII historical fiction. 
  • MommaBean said:
    MommaBean said:
    MommaBean said:
    MommaBean said:
    4/5 stars :) WWII historical fiction. 
    I'm meh on historical fiction. I feel like it's normally a good story but with 500 extra pages to make it historical. It's why I couldn't finish the outlander books but like the show. 
  • 1. Did you like it?  Yes! I have already recommended it to a few people...

2. Do you believe that saying about how you can leave the small town but it never leaves you? Absolutely, but I think that about everything. You can never take your roots out of you, no matter how much you want to deny them. You can also leave a big city but never take the big city out of you. Somehow, along the way, the circumstances surrounding you formed who you are today. 

3. What was the point of having her brother hit her be such an integral part of the story? That's a great question, and I don't have a good answer. While I noticed that was discussed frequently, I didn't realize until this question just how much they brought that up. I am interested to see what others say, and may have an opinion later. 

4. Did you expect the ending if you got there? Spoiler alert STOP READING NOW: I did not expect the body to be in the garage...but I expected Corinne to come back into play and that they wouldn't find one without the other. 

5. Do you think she chose the right man? Yes :) I liked hot shot attorney, but always felt like her heart was back with Tyler. I sometimes also felt like Everett dismissed her and treated her like she was dumb because she came from a small town and a different, more modest background than he. 

Bonus Question for those who want to add it:

6. Did you like the structure of the book - being told in reverse? Yes, but I wish I could have read in one sitting or had a paper copy. On kindle, it was sometimes hard to remember what day I was on and the sequence of events for the prior day. I felt I had to read the book daily in order to remember what had happened. 

Thank you @PerraSucia for getting this started! And @MommaBean you should try to answer these questions for the book you read..maybe it'll incite an interesting conversation. 

• 1. Did you like it? 
    I enjoyed it. 

2. Do you believe that saying about how you can leave the small town but it never leaves you?
    I don't really have any experience with that so....

3. What was the point of having her brother hit her be such an integral part of the story?
    I think it was to make you think he is the violent type that would kill someone. Lead you down the wrong train of thought 

No! 

No. 
    If he was the right one for her she wouldn't have left. 

• 1. Did you like it?  
    Yes

I would say yes, I'm from a smaller type town and lived in a big city for about a year and I missed everything about home so much that I moved back. I don't think that's exactly the same context they meant it in though.. 

I agree with @Gingersnap, to make you suspect her brother. 

SPOILER: 
    Yes and no. I suspected both the narrator and her father had something to do with Corrine's death, but didn't expect the rest. 

Yes. Although the fiancé did seem to genuinely love her, she didn't seem to love him the same way. Her and Tyler were already so connected by their past and clearly never got over each other. 

I really liked how it went in reverse, but like @Patience7150 I read it on kindle and it would have been easier with an actual book to check back and remember what happened the day before, especially when I hadn't read it for a few days. 

• 1. Did you like it?  
    Overall, yes. It was a difficult book to read little by little, I think I would have liked it better reading it in one or two cozy stretches. 

From personal experience, IDK. But this book makes a believable case for it. Sometimes when I read small town books I feel like its being shoved down my throat and seems very fake. This town seemed a bit more real in that sense.

He was a red herring. Also, provided a motive for the true perpetrator of the 2nd disappearance. She also needed a reason to come back to town, or at least the explicit invitation.

At some point it crossed my mind, but it wasn't what my strongest theory. Like @Patience7150 said *SPOILER* I didn't expect the body in the garage, but knew that Corinne had to make a reappearance eventually. At some point I thought she slipped on sharp rocks. There was a passage I highlighted as Nik was crossing the river that I was like, oh thats it! But no...

I think at the time she did. If she left her fiance before the 2nd disappearance then that would have been a mistake, but she did a lot of healing and growing and she no longer fit with him. 

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

• I will answer my own questions :)

1. Did you like it? 
    It's funny I read this AND the girl on the train in the same week and by the end I was like "wow I hate everyone" but it definitely held my interest.  I think I've mentioned my embarrassing addiction to PLL here, and it definitely had that vibe. 

I think this is only true for people who have fond memories of the childhood.  Like all the people that leave small towns because they were bullied and harassed work really hard to get rid of this. 

I get that he was a red herring, but EVERYONE was a red herring, I still don't get why hitting her was part of it.  I mean he could of just had a bad temper. 

I expected both mysteries to be solved and related, but not that her dad tried to cover for her.

I think both guys deserved better than her.  She clearly wasn't being her real self with him and was some sort of puppet person for fancy lawyer guy and poor Tyler she left and had an abortion and didn't talk to him after 5 months of them being together for years.. then continued to come back and destroy his relationships.  she seemed like a huge asshole. 

6. I did like the backwards format and read the whole thing in two sittings because I don't sleep, so didn't have the kindle issues of not remembering what happened.

Bonus book suggestion for this month:
    The Basic Eight - Daniel Handler

Flannery Culp wants you to know the whole story of her spectacularly awful senior year. Tyrants, perverts, tragic crushes, gossip, cruel jokes, and the hallucinatory effects of absinthe -- Flannery and the seven other friends in the Basic Eight have suffered through it all. But now, on tabloid television, they're calling Flannery a murderer, which is a total lie. It's true that high school can be so stressful sometimes. And it's true that sometimes a girl just has to kill someone. But Flannery wants you to know that she's not a murderer at all -- she's a murderess.

• Here's the passage I was talking about...

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

• Finished last night! A day late and a buck short.

1. Did you like it?  

I did enjoy the book, but at the same time I found the protagonist very unlikeable. I felt frustrated by her inability to grow up and either move on or chose to be happy in her hometown. I also hated how she felt above everyone else in Cooley Ridge, while at the same time stuck in the past.

I think everyone's hometowns are a part of their past, but part of growing up is learning to be happy with where you are. I grew up in a city but still feel that it's a big part of who I am. 

I agree about the brother being a red herring all along, between the affair and the hitting. I never quite thought it was him though. It was too obvious of a trick.

Yes and no. Corinne in the garage did not surprise me at all, nor did the narrator's involvement in her disappearance and death. But Laura being responsible for Annalise truly did surprise me. I'm not sure I totally "buy" it. 

I do. Her heart was with Tyler all along and she probably never would have left him if she hadn't been freaked out by what happened with Corrine in the first place. @PerraSucia, *TW* I don't think she had an abortion, I think she lost the baby the night of the fair incident. When she kept saying "I lost it, I lost everything" I'm pretty sure that's what she was referring to. *End TW* 

I found the backwards structure frustrating at times, but overall a strategy that made sense at the end. I also really liked how the ending created some redemption for her dad.

Bonus:  Suggest a book for the next month

I was in favor of the Dan Brown book but I'm flexible. I really like this book club idea, but I think we need someone to really take charge of it to keep it organized and I'm not sure that person should be me since I'm already such a bossy betty around here. Any takers?
  • @Xstatic3333 oh maybe.  But she's still an ahole
  • I can try to organize the book club but I get weirdly busy and may be a day late or so every month. 
  • I just re-read question 3 and realized I answered it wrong. The reason her brother hitting her was a big deal was because it sent her into a frenzy for that night. Sure, she was down and worried about her pregnancy and her friend was a little cuckoo, but before he hit her it might have been an unremarkable night. It supercharged the emotions for the night and revealed the Corinne/bro relationship. 

Here's my question: wtf was the point of Bailey's character?

• Ooooooh @peachesnbean that's a great question. 

I guess to show that Corrine was more of a monster than Nic made her out to be?
  • I think the main point of Bailey was to be the person who "broke open" everyone's secrets during the first investigation. Fear of this happening again was such a driving point of the book, and they needed someone outside the core group to have done it. She did also show another side of Corrine and cause us to start losing sympathy for her. 
  • I can't figure out how the hell to make a poll for this month :(
  • On mobile, there's a little arrow next to New Discussion that lets you start a new poll. 
  • On mobile, there's a little arrow next to New Discussion that lets you start a new poll. 
    you're the best <3
  • I'm judging that no one read the book :pensive:
    I didn't read the book.... sry!
  • Haha @Gretchypoo did you vote for the book to read? :p
  • @PerraSucia yes! I just didn't buy/ borrow the book in time and then I forgot and then I was lazy. bad Gretchypoo!
  • Hahaha it was pretty good! You should read it anyway. 
  • tentacular tentacular member
    edited September 2016
    Ack! Have had a crazy week and haven't had time to visit the board... so I'm late to the discussion! I don't think I have anything original to add, but here's mine, anyway:

1. Did you like it?  -  Meh. I didn't think the characters, relationships, or story were all that compelling. I was never drawn in. A so-so story told in reverse is still a so-so story.

2. Do you believe that saying about how you can leave the small town but it never leaves you? - Maybe the answer to this depends on the person? I think some people can walk away from everything they know, and others can't. We're all different. Though we're all made up of our experiences, so I suppose to a point it has to be true. 

3. What was the point of having her brother hit her be such an integral part of the story? - I didn't give this much thought, other than seeing it made the brother an obvious suspect. But the thought posted here that it was a pivot point for Nic that night makes perfect sense. I still think the whole thing was heavy-handed. He was a big squishy whale of a red herring.

4. Did you expect the ending if you got there? - Not really. But I wasn't emotionally invested in the story, so I didn't spend any energy trying to figure things out. Another poster said they didn't 100% buy the Laura thing, and I feel the same.

5. Do you think she chose the right man? - I guess. From the perspective of a person who worked pretty hard to leave my roots behind and start fresh, I was honestly a bit disappointed for her. She moves back to her shit town and is going to do... what? Suddenly be wildly happy there? Suuuuure. Either way, I don't think Nic has a great capacity for happiness. I certainly don't think she's going to have the "happily ever after" that the ending implied for her.

Re-reading my comments makes me wonder if I was just in a sour mood when I read the book.