1st Trimester

So confused :(

*Trigger warning: threatened miscarriage*

Hi everyone. This will probably be long. I apologize in advance. 

I am pregnant with my second baby. DD is almost 2.  I charted while we were TTC and according to that, I should be somewhere between 6.5 and 7 weeks.  Last week (somewhere between 5-6 weeks) I had some very light pink spotting when I wiped. It happened once every other day for a total of 4 days. I let my new OB know and she had my hcg levels drawn. Day 1 was 12,000 and about 44 hours later they were 18,000. My doctor said that this wasn't as high as she would like so she scheduled an ultrasound.

I had the ultrasound yesterday. The tech was awful and wouldn't even let me see the screen. She allowed my husband to watch the screen though (seriously, wtf?). She said she wasn't allowed to tell us anything, so it was this weird awkward silence the whole time. I was supposed to get results yesterday, but after calling four times for them between yesterday and today, my doctor finally called me back and stated that my uterus measured 6 weeks 3 days. The gestational sac and the yolk sac were visible, but they could not see an embryo or heartbeat. She said it may be too early and has me scheduled for another ultrasound on Monday.

I'm confused for a few reasons.
1. DH swears he saw a heartbeat. Obviously, he's no health care professional, but he did see all of DDs ultrasounds and knows what the heartbeat looks like. Plus he said the tech put the words "fetal heart rate" on the screen. I feel kind of ridiculous, but I am seriously wondering if the doctor got the wrong report.

2. If I'm currently 6 weeks 4 days, wouldn't my hcg from last week actually be pretty high for about 5.5 weeks?

And I'm just exhausted.  I've had to call multiple times to get each lab result. And then waiting for over 24 hours for my ultrasound results when I was told I'd have them in an hour or two has just drained me emotionally. My last OB is retiring and he was so on-top of things and calm/reassuring. If things turn out okay I may very well look into getting a different doctor for the rest of the pregnancy.

So yeah. I guess I don't really have any questions, just needed a place to vent. If anyone has any similar experiences as far as the hcg values and lack of embryo on the ultrasound go, I'd like to hear them.  Thanks for listening!

Re: So confused :(

• Wow! That sounds so frustrating. There's nothing I hate more than having to chase down information from medical professionals. I know they are so busy, but having to repeatedly call makes me feel like they don't have my best interest at heart. One of the reasons I like my current Dr. Is because she uses the MyChart app and gets make to me pronto. I really hope you get some answers. I can't imagine how you are feeling. 
    DX PCOS + mild male factor
    TTC since Dec. 2015
    Current Treatment: Metformin, Provera, Letrozole, Trigger, IUI
    Past Treatment: Clomid + Metformin x 3 BFN
    Letrozole 5 mg + Trigger shot + IUI = BFP!
    Beta confirmed 8/22
    EDD 5/1/17
  • As a nurse, I 100% understand how busy things can be.  However, I also know that if you're not getting test results in the time ordered you (the medical professional) should be calling and checking on them. I was told, "We normally get them back in about 30 minutes, but no one's gotten to them. We don't know why." I could actually see the order for the U/S to be read on my electronic chart and it was due by the end of the day.  Someone should have been checking on it, but no one did until I had called twice the next day.

I also understand that the tech couldn't give us any medical information. She just had a terrible, mean attitude. I didn't really convey that in my original post. But she was very condescending and made me feel like I was wasting her time.  And not being allowed to see the screen was beyond ridiculous.  I actually had her for an ultrasound 2 years ago with DD and she had the same demeanor. Back then, I thought maybe she was having a bad day, but apparently that's just her personality.  When my doctor recommended the next ultrasound I told her I did not want that tech.

I already have another doctor in mind if things are not better at Monday's appointment. The downside is that would mean driving to the next town. I had a very fast labor with DD and I'm scared of not being able to make it to the hospital there to deliver.
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow this is crazy to me. I have an awesome dr's office but they don't schedule you for an ultrasound without having an appointment right afterwards with the dr or midwife. And I coukdnt imagine not being able to see the screen! I would find a new doctor if I were. Your dr prob wasn't concerned with the actual number of your hcg levels but that they didn't double. I wouldn't let that be too disheartening though since they were close to doubling and not everyone doubles in 48 hours. Best of luck and I hope you have a healthy pregnancy! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers