September 2016 Moms
Options

GD Mamas, help please

MamaSquishyBMamaSquishyB member
edited July 2016 in September 2016 Moms
My blood sugar has been weird all day.  It was 80 fasting, all the way up to 156 after breakfast (doc wants it below 135), back down to 76 after lunch, and now up to 140 after dinner.  Additionally, I've been very tired and had a stomach ache all day.  I've never had such huge spreads in my numbers.  Does this ever happen to any of you?  Is it totally normal?  If it keeps up, I'm going to call the doc in the morning.

ETA: just drink some water and walked around the house for a few minutes.  Already down to 116!  That seems awfully fast.

Re: GD Mamas, help please

• Options
    I'm not 100% but I think that sounds normal..ish?
    Did you eat anything out of the ordinary for breakfast that would have caused the spike? 
    Is it super hot? I know that can affect people.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds like a normal GD day with maybe just a bit of over indulgence? By over indulgence I just mean a few more grams of carbs than recommended, not pancakes and syrup.

Activity, heat, food, and even stress can affect your glucose levels too. You burn off glucose in roughly the first 20 minutes of physical activity so walking around a little bit will lower it. I was told to just vacuum a room if my number was too high and that would get it down quickly.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's happened to me before, definitely, and usually it's when I plop myself down on the couch right after eating, or I'm not active. I have to force myself to get up and walk, whether that's going for an actual walk around the block, or even just vacuuming or puttering around the house. Your body processes sugar much slower when you're inactive, and contributes to the dulling of those insulin receptors, which means your body pumps out more, and then you end up with these spikes. Hope that helps. Are you taking any medication or is it purely diet controlled? Make sure you're pairing your carbs with lots of protein and veggies. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, just diet controlled.  We had waffles for breakfast (no syrup), but also had bacon.  I thought it was enough protein to balance it out, but maybe it just threw the whole day out of whack.  Still feeling crummy tonight and headed to bed.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
  • Options
    I've had mine go from 90 fasting to 118 (doc wants 2hr after a meal at 120 or less) to 176 then after dinner it was 97. That was my very first day. I have to walk after a meal or I will spike. I have eaten foods that didn't bother me unless I neglected a 10-20 minute walk. Not walking sent me from a normal range up to 150. So, it's not unusual just not the goal. 
    BUT my doc told me that my proteins should be about the size of my open hand, including thickness. Not fried. And bacon isn't listed as any protein in my papers, it's listed as saturated fat. So I know that wouldn't count as protein. Just watch your carbs and sugars. White is bad. Wheat or whole grain is great! And always try to have either a great source of fiber (preferably not fruit) or protein to balance out the carbs.

Hope it helps! (Sorry I know it's a lot.)
  • Options
    Mine were like that and now I'm on insulin controlled:( I have to take fast acting shot before breakfast and lunch, and take dosage of insulin in the morning and bed time. Now my numbers are 80ish fasting and low 90s after breakfast and lunch and below 120 after dinner